!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2014 10:11 pm  #1

Jeffrey Jones

I only became familiar with Jeffrey Jones' work more recently, when he passed away and Foster drew attention to the loss. Then I realized I had seen his work occasionally and liked it, but mistaken it for Frazetta. So anyway, it's good stuff. Frazetta once called him "the greatest living painter." Here are a few cool ones. I don't have a link to a complete gallery, unfortunately.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/06/2014 6:46 am  #2

Re: Jeffrey Jones

That second one is a favorite one of mine, Tigers of the Sea, a Robert E. Howard collection of stories featuring Cormac Mac Art, The Gaelic warrior. 

When I was working for Gary, TLG had a verbal agreement with Jones to use his art on the covers of the Castle Zagyg series. His art is seen on Volume I: Yggsburgh, but by the time I was on board and Volume II: The Upper Works was finsihed, they lost communication with Jones, and rthe deal fell apart. It would have been nice! His work was amazing, I agree.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/06/2014 7:13 am  #3

Ghul wrote:

That second one is a favorite one of mine, Tigers of the Sea, a Robert E. Howard collection of stories featuring Cormac Mac Art, The Gaelic warrior.

Nice! It's a good one. I have a trading card collection of his art, which has a lot more variety than I have seen online. This evening I'll try to photo a few more good ones from the cards and post them here.

Ghul wrote:

When I was working for Gary, TLG had a verbal agreement with Jones to use his art on the covers of the Castle Zagyg series. His art is seen on Volume I: Yggsburgh, but by the time I was on board and Volume II: The Upper Works was finished, they lost communication with Jones, and the deal fell apart. It would have been nice! His work was amazing, I agree.

Wow, that is awesome. Too bad.

3/06/2014 3:39 pm  #4

You know, I think I have mistaken this art for Frazetta as well. I definitely need to look into his work.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/06/2014 9:11 pm  #5

That third picture is what I want my campaign to look like. Thanks! \m/

3/20/2014 10:22 pm  #6

Not sure if your use of the word 'he' is a correct description.

Great artist

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

3/23/2014 4:18 pm  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul wrote:

When I was working for Gary, TLG had a verbal agreement with Jones to use his art on the covers of the Castle Zagyg series. His art is seen on Volume I: Yggsburgh, but by the time I was on board and Volume II: The Upper Works was finished, they lost communication with Jones, and the deal fell apart. It would have been nice! His work was amazing, I agree.

Agreed.  Joe Block had preserved the Jones cover images and original CZ multi-volume descriptions @ http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2008/10/castle-zagyg-original-release-plans.html if you want to check them out.

3/23/2014 5:42 pm  #8

grodog wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Agreed.  Joe Block had preserved the Jones cover images and original CZ multi-volume descriptions @ http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2008/10/castle-zagyg-original-release-plans.html if you want to check them out.

Those were not Gary's descriptions. That was Steve Chenault applying some of his Tolkien-inspired ad copy to Gary's dungeon levels, which were provided by EGG in outline form. Had I continued on the project, I would have never described those levels like that. Steve meant well, but he didn't grok Greyhawk. 

3/24/2014 6:05 pm  #9

Very cool covers, Allan! Thanks for pointing them out.

4/16/2014 5:45 am  #10

Chainsaw wrote:

I realized I had seen his work occasionally and liked it, but mistaken it for Frazetta. 

I'm the same way. I've seen Jones' work for years (I think he did some of my favorite Fafhrd & Grey Mouser covers) but always got his work confused with Frazetta.

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/19/2014 1:24 pm  #11

Ghul wrote:

grodog wrote:

Those were not Gary's descriptions. That was Steve Chenault applying some of his Tolkien-inspired ad copy to Gary's dungeon levels, which were provided by EGG in outline form. Had I continued on the project, I would have never described those levels like that. Steve meant well, but he didn't grok Greyhawk.

Good to know, Jeff.  Thanks! :D

4/19/2014 5:19 pm  #12

grodog wrote:

Ghul wrote:

grodog wrote:

Good to know, Jeff.  Thanks! :D

No problem. It's not a big deal -- Steve was just doing his job getting some ad copy out there, but good lord, all those descriptions sounded like the Drums of Khazad-dûm were sounding, and that is not what Zagyg's castle is supposed to be about. Steve is a huge Silmarillion fan, and it shows in his writing.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.