!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2014 8:29 pm  #21

Re: AS&SH 2nd Print?

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Assuming this is the thread for suggestions, I think a small map in gazetteer would be handy as well - an artistic representation like you'd see in a sword and sorcery novel (not a truly functional hexmap for gaming). I suggest this because I have been traveling a lot lately, reading the books and wishing I had an easy way to locate cities and geographical features without having the whole fold out map with me. Anyway, maybe something to throw in the pot.

Actually, this one is already on my list from a long time ago. I have this huge list of ideas; some will never stick, while others, like this one, are solid. Very useful for the game. Thank you! 

Sounds good! Looking forward to it and the new color gaming hexmap.

Yes please on vinyl.
Brass gromets. 
3'x4'.
Suitable for hanging.
Thanks.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/06/2014 10:53 pm  #22

I love the name but I always call it ASH when I'm speaking to someone and often Astonishing Swordsmen. The setting is fantastic but calling it Hyperborea leaves me cold.

4/07/2014 5:31 am  #23

JasonZavoda wrote:

I love the name but I always call it ASH when I'm speaking to someone and often Astonishing Swordsmen. The setting is fantastic but calling it Hyperborea leaves me cold.

Ha! I'm not sure if you're serious or just blowing wind with a well-planned pun. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/07/2014 5:34 am  #24

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Actually, this one is already on my list from a long time ago. I have this huge list of ideas; some will never stick, while others, like this one, are solid. Very useful for the game. Thank you! 

Sounds good! Looking forward to it and the new color gaming hexmap.

Yes please on vinyl.
Brass gromets. 
3'x4'.
Suitable for hanging.
Thanks.

That's a great idea for a mid-level Kickstarter tier. ;) 

I've thought about this exact thing for hanging at convention booths and for my own personal entertainment, but I never gave any thought to other people also liking such a prop.

4/07/2014 7:21 am  #25

So, Jeff, if you are considering new interior art, are you also considering new cover art as well? Maybe a new Chuck Lang piece?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/07/2014 9:16 am  #26

Chainsaw wrote:

So, Jeff, if you are considering new interior art, are you also considering new cover art as well? Maybe a new Chuck Lang piece?

Right now Chuck is producing some fantastic paintings that will grace the covers of Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes and Beneath the Comet. I do intend to approach him on making a new AS&SH cover, and I can't wait to share the stuff he's working on now. I've some early glimpes of studies he's done of Ghost Ship, and they blew me away.

4/07/2014 9:18 am  #27

Exciting! I imagine he will come up with some neat stuff.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/07/2014 9:32 am  #28

NAJones wrote:

I think a "Compleat" book and a perfect-bound player's book would be exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see. I usually do most of the GMing for the people I play with and a low barrier to entry like a reasonably priced softcover is exactly the sort of thing I can sell people on.

Absolutely agree with this, however, I must say that I am particularly fond of the spiral bound books. Perhaps a hardcover Compleat rules and a spiral bound Players?
I have mentioned elsewhere that I printed up two "game day" books for use at the table. These include Volumes 1-3, as well as the Gazetteer and the maps. Very handy to have that stuff available for players.
Anyway, looking forward to whatever future release, whatever form it takes!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/07/2014 7:00 pm  #29

joseph wrote:

NAJones wrote:

I think a "Compleat" book and a perfect-bound player's book would be exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see. I usually do most of the GMing for the people I play with and a low barrier to entry like a reasonably priced softcover is exactly the sort of thing I can sell people on.

Absolutely agree with this, however, I must say that I am particularly fond of the spiral bound books. Perhaps a hardcover Compleat rules and a spiral bound Players?
I have mentioned elsewhere that I printed up two "game day" books for use at the table. These include Volumes 1-3, as well as the Gazetteer and the maps. Very handy to have that stuff available for players.
Anyway, looking forward to whatever future release, whatever form it takes!

Actually I agree with this wholeheartedly. The spiral-bound books are great because they lay flat and are easy to use at the table.

4/07/2014 7:51 pm  #30

Just wanted to chime in with thoughts on the next iteration of ASSH. I recieved my box set and extra PM in the mail today, (thanks again Jeff!!!) and I love the spiral bound books, primarily for the reason NAJ mentioned, they lay flat on the table and easily read.

Spiral bound is one reason that initially drew me to picking up the printed books. I've grown sooooooo tire of big fat hardback books (Pathfinder, Star Wars, Numenera, Shadowrun, etc). I always feel a big book is so unwieldly for using/reading. AD&D 1e or 2e books were about as large as I like. I also prefer separate books for Players and Referee, though the Swords and Wizardry Complete book is good, because the page count is pretty small and includes everything you need. I'd be less inclined to pick up a single volume if it ends up like one of the books above.

Regardless of decisions, I look forward to seeing whatever new stuff comes out. The map idea sounds really cool.

4/07/2014 8:26 pm  #31

I prefer the spiral bound units for the utility of laying  them flat.  This may mean that every single book would have to be hand crafted....again!  Not sure if the additional time is justified.  Also not sure of the economics of outsourcing spiral books.?

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/18/2014 7:57 am  #32

You can get some hardback books to lie flat, but forget POD style hardback doing this. It will be expensive, not many book printers will do the type of binding required for this style cheaply.

4/18/2014 8:09 am  #33

If there are going to be a lot of errata updates or rule changes, it would be extra nice to have the same format spiral-bound books again so that the could go right in the box set! Or a whole nother box set . . .

I'll stop. It's easy for me to say what should happen! Ghul, I'm sure you'll figure out the best way to move forward.

4/18/2014 8:13 am  #34

flumph is right -- there are hardback spine-types that allow for a book to open and lie flat. I've been investigating some of these options, and indeed, the cost is greater. 

Handy -- Please, fire away at whatever comes to mind. Doesn't mean I'll always listen (just ask my wife about this trait of mine!), but I'll note it and consider it. ;)

4/18/2014 8:18 am  #35

OK then! Another box set, two sets of dice, a familiar, and a single plum floating in perfume in a man's hat. That would do nicely.

Oh, one other matter: in the spell lists, it would be great if there were numbers at the lefthand margin. I usually have at least some random spells for beginning casters, plus one needs to dice for them for scrolls and NPCs. It would be cool, too, if the spells for each caster level totaled to some vaguely easily rolled dice combo (i.e., I don't own a d17!), but the numbers would be a great help either way.

4/18/2014 8:24 am  #36

Handy Haversack wrote:

OK then! Another box set, two sets of dice, a familiar, and a single plum floating in perfume in a man's hat. That would do nicely.

Oh, one other matter: in the spell lists, it would be great if there were numbers at the lefthand margin. I usually have at least some random spells for beginning casters, plus one needs to dice for them for scrolls and NPCs. It would be cool, too, if the spells for each caster level totaled to some vaguely easily rolled dice combo (i.e., I don't own a d17!), but the numbers would be a great help either way.

Noted!

Right, what I would typically do with that list of 17 spells is roll a d20 and re-roll 18-20. It usually works after I've rolled a 19, two 18s, and a pair of 20s, of course ;)

Cheers,
Jeff T.

PS: Only if it is a Japanese Satsuma plum -- then you have a deal. 

4/19/2014 1:15 pm  #37

Hey Jeff, while you're taking suggestions:  if it wouldn't be cost-prohibitive, it would be nice if you had a small "additions and errata" booklet avialable in the format and form-factor of the books in the boxed set, so that those of us who already have the game can purchase the new classes and updates in a format that compliments the presentation of the books in the boxed set. 

Simlarly, it would be nice if the new poster map was available separately from the hardcover books, too.

4/19/2014 2:35 pm  #38

I think that the fact that we're even having a conversation about a 2nd edition (or printing or whatever) in itself is really cool. It shows what an impact the game is having out there in the gamer community.

Think about how many games never reach enough fans to warrent another print run....

Marv / Finarvyn
DCC playtester (2011), S&W WhiteBox Author (2009), C&C playtester (2003), Metamorphosis Alpha since 1976. OD&D Player since 1975

4/19/2014 5:07 pm  #39

grodog wrote:

Hey Jeff, while you're taking suggestions:  if it wouldn't be cost-prohibitive, it would be nice if you had a small "additions and errata" booklet avialable in the format and form-factor of the books in the boxed set, so that those of us who already have the game can purchase the new classes and updates in a format that compliments the presentation of the books in the boxed set. 

Simlarly, it would be nice if the new poster map was available separately from the hardcover books, too.

Solid ideas, and both noted.

4/19/2014 5:08 pm  #40

finarvyn wrote:

I think that the fact that we're even having a conversation about a 2nd edition (or printing or whatever) in itself is really cool. It shows what an impact the game is having out there in the gamer community.

Think about how many games never reach enough fans to warrent another print run....

Thanks, Marv, that's nice of you to mention!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.