!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2019 7:03 pm  #1

Clarification: Shaman, Medicine Man

The ability states that the shaman can treat natural poison and disease, however, I was wondering when the ability confers to the shaman the knowledge that the affliction is not of a natural source? Is it prior to initial treatment (during first examination of the affliction) or is it only after seemingly natural symptoms are treated and noticeably not working (days, weeks, etc), that the shaman can surmise that the disease is not of natural origin?

Thanks.

2/18/2019 10:23 pm  #2

Re: Clarification: Shaman, Medicine Man

In my personal, non-canonical opinion, upon initial treatment the shaman would realize that the symptoms are of no disease he’s seen before.

2/19/2019 10:18 am  #3

Seems like a nice aporia for rulings not rules here, i.e., do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. But yeah like DMP I am happy to let the shaman realize that they're in way over their head.

2/19/2019 1:22 pm  #4

Yes, I'd go with what DMP and Handy said.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/19/2019 1:46 pm  #5

And if the shaman has had any luck at at with concocting antidotes of unknown natural causes at 4:12 before, I'd say he or she might be inclined to give it a go anyway.

2/19/2019 6:27 pm  #6

It all depends on how recently the player bought me beer. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/19/2019 6:34 pm  #7

Great, thanks for the feedback. DMP's post was my initial inclination but wanted to make sure I hadn't assumed anything.

2/20/2019 9:25 am  #8

I am buying Chainsaw prophylactic beers RIGHT NOW.

2/20/2019 9:32 am  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

prophylactic beers

And I thought depth charges were bad.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.