Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2018 3:11 pm  #21


Re: Human racial mods?

I'm not a fan of any mechanic difference based on human ethnicity, and players usually want to play against "type" anyway. At the same time, I know players enjoy choices. For awhile I was offering variant human genera (which we now understand is true to our ancient past), but then nobody wanted to be homo sapien.
What I wound up doing recently was adapting Thulsa's (Morten Braten's) "cultural background" system he uses for Xoth (@xoth.net), converting it to OSR/AS&SH. We'll see how it plays out in my upcoming Zothique campaign.


"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax
 

12/28/2018 3:24 pm  #22


Re: Human racial mods?

Caveman wrote:

I kind of agree, should not huntsman and Cryomancer be better for an snow dwelling person?

No. One can easily imagine an African hunstman. Also, I know from living in icy Minnesota with it's immense East African population, genetics plays very little into climate adaptation. They get cold, they layer up, just like the Scandinavian descended folk. Living then in Israel for awhile I was surprised to see everyone hates the midday heat pretty much equally, natives and expats. It takes a very long time for climate to affect isolate populations evolution-wise.
 


"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax
 

12/29/2018 8:28 am  #23


Re: Human racial mods?

I can imagine an African hunter, cattleman (herdsman), farmer, but I cannot imagine an Inuit farmer or herdsman, hence Huntsman?

While in the Amazon jungle I notice no Cryomancer, but there was a lot of Fire Witch Doctors...

 

12/29/2018 11:15 am  #24


Re: Human racial mods?

Even if, for the sake of argument, some classes are more common among certain races, that wouldn't necessarily make them mechanically better in a way that mattered to adventurers. This is particularly true since adventurers in general are superior to the common run of humanity because (given that we're talking about Old School D&D and not something gorge-elevating like 3e, with its 5th level farmers and 8th level blacksmiths) they have the ability to gain levels.


Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.
 

12/29/2018 12:12 pm  #25


Re: Human racial mods?

Blackadder23 wrote:

Even if, for the sake of argument, some classes are more common among certain races, that wouldn't necessarily make them mechanically better in a way that mattered to adventurers. This is particularly true since adventurers in general are superior to the common run of humanity because (given that we're talking about Old School D&D and not something gorge-elevating like 3e, with its 5th level farmers and 8th level blacksmiths) they have the ability to gain levels.

Yup. Though I believe the common folk of Hyperborea tend to be hardier because of the environment and the ruthlessness of civilization, plus monsters and weird alien entities and such. 
 


“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 
 

12/30/2018 6:17 am  #26


Re: Human racial mods?

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

What I wound up doing recently was adapting Thulsa's (Morten Braten's) "cultural background" system he uses for Xoth (@xoth.net), converting it to OSR/AS&SH. We'll see how it plays out in my upcoming Zothique campaign.

So how did you convert these to AS&SH? I have these resources, too, and occasionally eye them for my AS&SH Atlantis game.


"My own concepts in this regard are easy and clear, and I am sure that the word 'simplistic' will be used by my critics. These folk are callow and turgid of intellect; I am reassured by their howls and yelps."
Jack Vance, The Face
 

12/31/2018 6:16 am  #27


Re: Human racial mods?

Blackadder23 wrote:

Even if, for the sake of argument, some classes are more common among certain races, that wouldn't necessarily make them mechanically better in a way that mattered to adventurers. This is particularly true since adventurers in general are superior to the common run of humanity because (given that we're talking about Old School D&D and not something gorge-elevating like 3e, with its 5th level farmers and 8th level blacksmiths) they have the ability to gain levels.

I agree.

 

12/31/2018 7:05 am  #28


Re: Human racial mods?

Caveman wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Even if, for the sake of argument, some classes are more common among certain races, that wouldn't necessarily make them mechanically better in a way that mattered to adventurers. This is particularly true since adventurers in general are superior to the common run of humanity because (given that we're talking about Old School D&D and not something gorge-elevating like 3e, with its 5th level farmers and 8th level blacksmiths) they have the ability to gain levels.

I agree.

Not to mention that by eschewing any kind of mechanical advantage you've maximized the variability of combinations of class and race, since all are equal mechanically. Want an Ixian Barbarian or Amazonian Magician? Done. With any sort of mechanical advantage those sorts of combinations would be less likely to be played, since players may consider every advantage they can get, rather than an interesting role to play.


"My own concepts in this regard are easy and clear, and I am sure that the word 'simplistic' will be used by my critics. These folk are callow and turgid of intellect; I am reassured by their howls and yelps."
Jack Vance, The Face
 

12/31/2018 9:53 am  #29


Re: Human racial mods?

rhialto wrote:

Caveman wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Even if, for the sake of argument, some classes are more common among certain races, that wouldn't necessarily make them mechanically better in a way that mattered to adventurers. This is particularly true since adventurers in general are superior to the common run of humanity because (given that we're talking about Old School D&D and not something gorge-elevating like 3e, with its 5th level farmers and 8th level blacksmiths) they have the ability to gain levels.

I agree.

Not to mention that by eschewing any kind of mechanical advantage you've maximized the variability of combinations of class and race, since all are equal mechanically. Want an Ixian Barbarian or Amazonian Magician? Done. With any sort of mechanical advantage those sorts of combinations would be less likely to be played, since players may consider every advantage they can get, rather than an interesting role to play.

I agree that with evened mechanics you may have maximized equal desirability of the races and classes, but I disagree that all might ever be equally common and personally lean heavily on the Attribute Requirements, even adding points for creations during the darker years.

 

12/31/2018 12:39 pm  #30


Re: Human racial mods?

Iron Ranger wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Caveman wrote:

I agree.

Not to mention that by eschewing any kind of mechanical advantage you've maximized the variability of combinations of class and race, since all are equal mechanically. Want an Ixian Barbarian or Amazonian Magician? Done. With any sort of mechanical advantage those sorts of combinations would be less likely to be played, since players may consider every advantage they can get, rather than an interesting role to play.

I agree that with evened mechanics you may have maximized equal desirability of the races and classes, but I disagree that all might ever be equally common and personally lean heavily on the Attribute Requirements, even adding points for creations during the darker years.

Yes, I agree with that. I was focusing my attention on PCs, and not the overall distribution of classed NPCs. I guess I should mention that only my significant NPCs have a class: the vast majority of NPCs are 0-level, with whatever abilities I think they need for the game (which is one way I highlight how even a 1st-level PC is exceptional).


"My own concepts in this regard are easy and clear, and I am sure that the word 'simplistic' will be used by my critics. These folk are callow and turgid of intellect; I am reassured by their howls and yelps."
Jack Vance, The Face
 

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2018 North Wind Adventures, LLC.