!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2018 10:08 am  #461

Re: Introduction Thread

Woolshedwargamer wrote:

Hello
Brian from New Zealand. Roleplaying since 1976. Found AS&SH recently while looking for a D&D like game for nostalgia purposes. Was GMing a 5e Primeval Thule game but am not happy with the system. This seems more like the game I want to play. 

Welcome aboard!

12/20/2018 10:27 am  #462

Woolshedwargamer wrote:

Hello
Brian from New Zealand. Roleplaying since 1976. Found AS&SH recently while looking for a D&D like game for nostalgia purposes. Was GMing a 5e Primeval Thule game but am not happy with the system. This seems more like the game I want to play. 

Welcome to the Chaos!! Glad to have you aboard!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/20/2018 5:38 pm  #463

Welcome everyone, glad you are a part of the AS&SH membership. 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

12/20/2018 5:45 pm  #464

Woolshedwargamer wrote:

Hello

Actually I just noticed when you started.  I also started in '76 as a 12-year-old middle schooler.  Cool stuff!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/20/2018 9:30 pm  #465

Woolshedwargamer wrote:

Hello

I briefly tried 5e and even picked up a bunch of the Middle Earth stuff for 5e but once I got into it, I hated the system so much that I've sold or given away all my 5e stuff.  Now my group and I alternate between AS&SH & Labyrinth Lord and we are loving it.  Welcome to the fray!

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

12/27/2018 6:30 am  #466

Hi!  I looked for this thread, but failed my Test of Intelligence to find it until after I'd already made a few posts on other boards. 

So here's me:  as a young lad in Upstate NY in 1977 I was introduced to Dungeons & Dragons, grumbled over the "new rules" (AD&D) but made the transition in 1979, and aside from a bit of Holmes I simply skipped over anything Basic or Expert until the OSR era.  Probably my greatest influences in the game have been the writing of David A. Hargrave (Arduin), Bob Bledsaw (JG/Wilderlands), and the artworks of David A. Trampier, Liz Danforth, and Michio Okamura.  Other early likes were Traveller and The Morrow Project.  Around 2006 I rediscovered Call of Cthulhu with a vengeance and dutifully read up on Lovecraft, but haven't got much of the works of CAS or REH under my belt... yet.

Having always preferred the older games and editions I found my way to Dragonsfoot, where it seems there has been a perpetual tension between bug-fixing 1e and publishing/playing the perfect retro-clone.  AS&SH for me addresses both schools and, at first glance, requires almost no tweaking of its own (as for the lack of elves and dragons, I for one don't miss 'em!).  Incidentally, I first learned of the existence of AS&SH from Matthew's blog.

In full disclosure I have yet to play a live game using AS&SH, but I've had some time to read through the books and ruminate on the rules.  I look forward in the near future to opening new threads on various aspects of the rules and setting.  It's likely you may at some point realise that I don't know what I'm talking about -- consider that a personal invitation to share your own tabletop gaming experiences!

Iä Xathoqqua!

12/27/2018 6:35 am  #467

Welcome! Sounds like you have some great experience, Q, but if you have any questions, we'll all happily chime in. I think you'll fine we have a good group here. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/30/2018 8:34 pm  #468

Thanks Chainsaw!  I appreciate your kind words over at DF as well.

Oh and I hope every one had a Merry Christmas, happy Yuletide, or a Festivus for the rest if you, as appropriate.  🎄🎁

12/31/2018 7:03 am  #469

Q-sub wrote:

Thanks Chainsaw!  I appreciate your kind words over at DF as well.

Sure! What's your handle over there?

Q-sub wrote:

Oh and I hope every one had a Merry Christmas, happy Yuletide, or a Festivus for the rest if you, as appropriate.  🎄🎁

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you, too.

2/21/2019 8:58 pm  #470

Chainsaw wrote:

Q-sub wrote:

Thanks Chainsaw! I appreciate your kind words over at DF as well.

Wow, so sorry I missed this earlier!  On DF I go by 'subaltari.'

2/22/2019 7:29 am  #471

Q-sub wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Q-sub wrote:

Thanks Chainsaw! I appreciate your kind words over at DF as well.

Wow, so sorry I missed this earlier!  On DF I go by 'subaltari.'

No worries. 

2/28/2019 9:56 pm  #472

Hi, I'm Matt. I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd finally introduce myself.  I've been playing RPGs since way back and discovered Hyberborea in 2013.  I loved the art work so much I ended up backing all the kickstarters- but never played the game until this past December!  I can't believe that I let the game sit on my shelf so long.  What a great game. My game group is now gearing up for a campaign.  I've already learned some great stuff on this board and I'm sure it will be a great resource while running the campaign.

3/01/2019 9:48 am  #473

TheElderEye wrote:

Hi, I'm Matt. I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd finally introduce myself.  I've been playing RPGs since way back and discovered Hyberborea in 2013.  I loved the art work so much I ended up backing all the kickstarters- but never played the game until this past December!  I can't believe that I let the game sit on my shelf so long.  What a great game. My game group is now gearing up for a campaign.  I've already learned some great stuff on this board and I'm sure it will be a great resource while running the campaign.

Welcome aboard, my friend!

3/05/2019 5:57 pm  #474

TheElderEye wrote:

Never too late to get Hyperborea-ing!

3/09/2019 9:58 am  #475

Hello, I'm Jon. Started gaming around 1980. New neighbors moved in down the road and their son had the Holmes boxed set. By the time I got to the store (which I'm sure was fairly quickley) the Moldvay set was out. So that's the first book I owned.
I'm loving AS&SH. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area so finding an osr gaming group probably isn't happening. Does anyone have suggestions for finding an online group for AS&SH?

3/11/2019 9:38 am  #476

Hey freejon, welcome to Hyperborea.
For finding a game, keep an eye on the Tavern on this forum.  You can also join the AS&SH group on MeWe if you're into social media.  Someone there was recruiting for a new campaign on Roll20 last week and might still have openings.  And Roll20 just recently updated AS&SH to be a listable game, so you can search for listings there.
Hope you find something soon.

5/05/2019 2:16 am  #477

Warsaw, Poland reports to Hyperborea! Hi everybody!

The books came last week, we had one awesome session so far and I've never played 1st edition of AS&SoH so I'm green when it comes to Hyberborea. But I've been DM-ing for 20 years now, mostly various edition of D&D. We've found 5th Edition of D&D to be badly designed and unrewarding and started looking for alternatives within OD&D and then I found AS&SoH. Since I've been great fan of Howard, Loveraft and Wagner, I loved the concept and we've ordered the books.

They came last week, we had our first game on Friday and it was an absolute blast. The setting, the classes, the touch - I think it is something I was waiting for the 20 years of gaming.

Non-native English speaker - I apologize for any unclear phrasing
hyperborea.video.blog

5/05/2019 6:05 am  #478

kane wrote:

Welcome aboard, man. I think you will find we have a good crew here. 

kane wrote:

The books came last week, we had one awesome session so far and I've never played 1st edition of AS&SoH so I'm green when it comes to Hyberborea. But I've been DM-ing for 20 years now, mostly various edition of D&D. We've found 5th Edition of D&D to be badly designed and unrewarding and started looking for alternatives within OD&D and then I found AS&SoH. Since I've been great fan of Howard, Loveraft and Wagner, I loved the concept and we've ordered the books.

They came last week, we had our first game on Friday and it was an absolute blast. The setting, the classes, the touch - I think it is something I was waiting for the 20 years of gaming.

Great to hear! Did you run some homebrew material? What classes did people pick? Feel free to share all the details in the Campaign forum. I'm always curious about other referees games.

5/05/2019 7:03 am  #479

kane wrote:

Welcome to the fora, this is a fine group of folks who have similar tastes and backgrounds. Your namesake can be found in Swampgate, too, in the starting adventure of the 2e big book.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/05/2019 7:06 am  #480

Welcome, Kane!!!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.