!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2014 12:22 pm  #201

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

"You there, by the inn--stop those horses before they kill someone."

4/12/2014 12:30 pm  #202

Handy Haversack wrote:

"You there, by the inn--stop those horses before they kill someone."

The three men speak for a moment and two of the swordsmen rush across the street, though they are noticeably slower than Hrodney was when she ran back and forth to the trading post. 

Now that the horns have stopped Verctissa can hear shouts from further in town. From her vantage beneath the tower and among the spiked wall of the guard tower Verctissa can only see the buildings along the southern road. The large barn like building is still open and she sees one of the old men rush into it.

The horses are now a visible pair still moving at a good pace and carving a furrow in the dirt road that churns the earth into the great cloud of dust behind them.

From the street the shouts grow louder and a creaking sound. One of the old Rus appears riding a horse at break-neck spead out along the road to meet the horses. Then at a slower pace a wagon appears around the corner of the inn and the driver, a long haired young woman with a black hat blowing behind her turns the wagon sideways across the road.

4/12/2014 12:32 pm  #203

Are the shouts associated with those actions, or does it seem like something else is going on elsewhere in town? Verctissa will climb to the tower top for a look.

4/12/2014 12:42 pm  #204

Handy Haversack wrote:

Are the shouts associated with those actions, or does it seem like something else is going on elsewhere in town? Verctissa will climb to the tower top for a look.

Yiel can see the old Rus closing with the approaching horses while Verctissa climbs the tower. Below her Hrodney stands at the gate with a drawn sword. As she climbs Verctissa can see that the street once again is crowded with townsfolk. Some, like the men from the warehouse she recognizes, but many she doesnt. Most are armed and no young are among them. The shouts have grown from the crowd but it is impossible to make out what is being said from all the babble.

4/12/2014 12:51 pm  #205

And other than the two charging horses, no obvious threat or disturbance?

4/12/2014 1:02 pm  #206

Handy Haversack wrote:

And other than the two charging horses, no obvious threat or disturbance?

The town is active as hive of bees hit by a stone. The old Rus has turned in the road and the rushing horses are closing with him. A second wagon has come from the large building on the south road and is pulling across the road near the inn. A large crowd builds near the entrance to the inn but has kept the center of the road clear while five riders in armor ride around the blockade and gallop down the west road.

But other than that no night terrors or  ice breathing fire demons.

4/12/2014 1:07 pm  #207

Well, we have that going for us, at least. Verctissa will climb down, gather Hrodney, and head for the crowd, hoping to find Andra, Mikael, or Hrodney's party.

4/15/2014 3:29 pm  #208

Handy Haversack wrote:

Well, we have that going for us, at least. Verctissa will climb down, gather Hrodney, and head for the crowd, hoping to find Andra, Mikael, or Hrodney's party.

Hridney is a bit startled by Verctissa's return but quickly moves the spiked gate aside. Two wagons are set across the street and to either side are several riders. The small group of mounted guardsmen with the old Rus from the inn are just about to meet the wild papr of horses but the first old Rus who galloped out there is abreast of them and with an astounding flip from his horse lands on the back of one of the pair. He has his head down near iits head and the beast begins to slow, its harness mate slowing as well in reastion. They reach the other riders and they form a small group around them.

At sedate pace they panting foam-flecked and sweating horses are brought to a slow walk as they reach town. The Rus riding the back of one drops beside it and with a flash of his knife cuts the wagon-tongue from the leather bands letting it drop to the dirt road. 

The crowd murmurs of approval but there is little shouting while the two horses are brought to a stop amd removed from the harness before being walked over to the nearby stables and corral.

4/15/2014 3:31 pm  #209

Does anyone recognize the horses or know who owned that wagon? Can anyone speak with animals?

4/15/2014 5:53 pm  #210

Handy Haversack wrote:

Does anyone recognize the horses or know who owned that wagon? Can anyone speak with animals?

(The old Rus who rode out to them seems extremely well skilled with horses but whether he can speak with animals or not isn't apparent. If you are going over knowledge that you may already possess you might want to reread old posts. hinit. hint. hint)

4/16/2014 4:54 pm  #211

JasonZavoda wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

(The old Rus who rode out to them seems extremely well skilled with horses but whether he can speak with animals or not isn't apparent. If you are going over knowledge that you may already possess you might want to reread old posts. hinit. hint. hint)

You're right. I think I got off my game by posting from work. I need to take some time to reread. I'll get something up ASAP, but for some reason this week is stupidly busy, and I have to prep for gaming on Sat. I'll try to grab some time soon!

5/29/2014 3:55 pm  #212

Bummer.  It seems this PbP has died an early death.  It was a pretty fun read.

5/29/2014 5:46 pm  #213

It's my fault. I've been nuts since April with stuff--barely can keep my face-to-face game going. I am going to read over and get back to this, assuming Jason doesn't hate me! After this weekend, things should be calmer for a bit.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.