!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2018 3:31 pm  #1

The Keltic God Nodens?

I'm fairly surprised to see Nodens isn't one of the gods included in Hyperborea!

He's originally a god venerated in real life by the Celts in the days of yore. Lovecraft turned him into a deity, bearded, humanoid, known for his distaste and rivalry with Nyarlathotep, his dominion over the nightgaunts, and his general tendency to be cool towards human beings- something the Old Ones arent usually known for. He seems like he'd definitely fit in with Yoon'Deh as a god worshipped by the Kelts. Almost a hero-god. He'd also probably have a pretty cool dynamic in rivalry with Thaumagorga, who seems to be a sort of "fallen angel", god turned demon figure.

Has anyone here imported Nodens into Hyperborea in any way? I'm definitely considering finding a way to fit him in. Bealltainn is approaching in our world, and my party who is comprised of three Kelts might enjoy it. I know my huntsman will!

11/30/2018 7:33 pm  #2

Re: The Keltic God Nodens?

There are a lot of the historical gods missing from the land above the north wind. Just look at the Norse Parthenon completely gone.

Remember this is a world that has been in a way,  disconnected from the old world.

Last edited by BlackKnight (11/30/2018 7:34 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

11/30/2018 8:54 pm  #3

I wonder if Nodens could be one of the transmundane….

(tiptoes away)

12/01/2018 3:29 pm  #4

Revengeancer wrote:

Has anyone here imported Nodens into Hyperborea in any way? I'm definitely considering finding a way to fit him in. Bealltainn is approaching in our world, and my party who is comprised of three Kelts might enjoy it. I know my huntsman will!

I am hardly an authority on Hyperborea but in my humble opinion just do it. From what I can glean from the underlying metaphysics in the sourcebook, Hyperborea has all manner of spirits and entities that offer supernatural aid in exchange for worship and offerings. Perhaps Nodens is diminished but still active, his worship obscure or forbidden. The same could be said for other Old Earth deities (I'm looking at you, Thor).  

The true nature of anthropomorphic deities in Hyperborea (Apollo, Artemis, Rel etc) has wisely been left open to interpretation. They could be aliens, cyborgs, ascended mortals, Elder Gods, or even imaginary yet still fit with the theme and existing lore. Further muddying the waters, AS&SH draws upon Old Earth shamanic and druidic animistic traditions where animals, objects, and places can have a spirit. Animism, ancestor worship, and totemism are all practiced by sorcerers in Hyperborea so it's safe to say at least some of these beliefs are "real" enough to produce results.  On the heels of that, it is implied that Underborea is the Mythic Underworld with Thaumagorgon akin to Hades. All of this ensures a rich metaphysical playground for a DM to draw upon.

BlackKnight wrote:

There are a lot of the historical gods missing from the land above the north wind. Just look at the Norse Parthenon completely gone.

Remember this is a world that has been in a way, disconnected from the old world.

BlackKnight nailed it. Hyperborea exists in what remains of our solar system 5 billion years in the future. Old Earth is long gone and with it, I presume, the Dreamlands and most or all of the Elder Gods*. 

DMPrata wrote:

I wonder if Nodens could be one of the transmundane….

An excellent suggestion. In my campaign, the transmundane often present themselves as gods, heroes, and saints to mortals. One of my players belongs to a cult of monastic Lawful knights headed by a transmundane who masquerades as a saint.

*I realize that the Elder Gods were shoe-horned into the Mythos after Lovecraft's death and Nodens was retroactively assigned to this category. The Mythos has a vast body of pastiche work (a lot of it is just awful, too) but I tend to stick to the interpretations of Fantasy Flight's Arkham Horror Files or Chaosium.

Last edited by Brock Savage (12/01/2018 3:47 pm)

12/01/2018 8:51 pm  #5

Great answers, fellas. Upon reading the initial responses, I looked into the Transmundanes, and noticed their typical distaste for Mi-Gos, Yithians, and the sort, and their behavior towards humans, and it matches Nodens pretty perfectly. You guys definitely pointed me in the perfect direction.

I'll definitely be writing him into my world as a Keltic sort of otherworldly cult hero. If I write some actual write-up for him, a dossier like most of the Hyperborean gods have, I'll post it here.

12/03/2018 3:33 pm  #6

Yes, do it.  Gods/Old Ones/Whatever the Hell trying to make an incursion and gain worshippers/followers in Hyperborea/GreyHawk/My homebrew is almost always an underlying theme in my campaigns.  It works well because the "new blood" of any religion are usually the most zealous, and will go to great ends to fulfill the wishes of their newfound diety and set themselve up as king of men.

Last edited by francisca (12/03/2018 3:33 pm)

12/16/2018 6:27 pm  #7

When I hear the name Nodens, I envision an imposing fellow (indeed Kelt-like) with steely eyes and hoary beard, careening across the wintry plains in a strange sort of chariot drawn by hardy boreal critters...

Why, just put a red robe on him and he can be the main NPC in my upcoming holiday module 

12/16/2018 7:56 pm  #8

Q-sub wrote:

When I hear the name Nodens, I envision an imposing fellow (indeed Kelt-like) with steely eyes and hoary beard, careening across the wintry plains in a strange sort of chariot drawn by hardy boreal critters...

Why, just put a red robe on him and he can be the main NPC in my upcoming holiday module 

Something like this? 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/17/2018 12:47 am  #9

Q-sub wrote:

🎶 Jolly old Saint Nodens, now you dear Old One! 🎶

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.