!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2016 5:48 pm  #1

Random Name Generator

Some of you may know about my conversion of the random adventure generator to HTML/Javascript. In a similar fashion, I converted Colin Chapman's excellent work on the AS&SH Character Name Generator to an interactive web page.  Again, presentation is plain and utilitarian, but it seems to work. Let me know if you try it and run across any issues or oddities. I added a "generic S&S" category to the names, which also was a conversion of someone else's work (I'm sorry, I don't recall the original source I referenced for that name generator, but if anyone knows, please tell me I'll credit them).

EDIT: The "Generic S&S" category data was sourced from the Holmesian Random Names table posted on the Zenopus Archives blog.  I put together my code for that some time ago, so I'm not sure which version I've incorporated in this generator.

Last edited by Philotomy (10/15/2018 10:33 pm)

9/16/2016 5:59 pm  #2

Re: Random Name Generator

Fantastic!  I wish I'd had this when I was creating "Waifs of the Boreas"; it would have saved a lot of time.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/17/2016 5:43 am  #3

Blackadder23 wrote:

Fantastic!  I wish I'd had this when I was creating "Waifs of the Boreas"; it would have saved a lot of time.

I like this, too. When the party is in a town or city, I'd love to keep this program on my phone. I find I tend toward the same names when I've got to come up with one quick; this will keep me out of my comfort zone! Nice job. 

Summon Joe Salvador! I think we should think about Lemurian names, too. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/17/2016 6:06 am  #4

Ghul wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

I like this, too. When the party is in a town or city, I'd love to keep this program on my phone. I find I tend toward the same names when I've got to come up with one quick; this will keep me out of my comfort zone! Nice job. 

Summon Joe Salvador! I think we should think about Lemurian names, too. ;)

Cool; I'm glad you like it. I added some styling to make it look better on a mobile device (although I'm not 100% satisfied with it, yet -- still a work in progress).  

Even though it's a web page, I added some meta tags that should allow you to create an app icon for it on your mobile device's home screen.  When launched from a home screen icon, it should appear as a full-screen app (i.e. no browser toolbar/menus at the top).  To set that up on iOS/Safari, you open the web page in Safari, then tap the browser's share icon and choose "Add to Home Screen".  On Android, you open the web page in Chrome, then tap the browser's menu icon and choose "Add to Home Screen."  At the moment, it will create a generic icon (it doesn't have a discrete mobile icon, yet), but it should still work.

9/18/2016 12:24 pm  #5

Nice! Thanks!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/25/2016 3:55 am  #6

That's really great - nice!

1/02/2018 1:26 pm  #7

The links don't seem to work for me anymore; can someone else confirm it?

1/02/2018 3:01 pm  #8

They appear to be down.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/24/2018 9:53 pm  #9

Still Down

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

1/30/2018 2:49 pm  #10

I'll ping Jason over on K&K and see if he can fix it.

Allan.

8/11/2018 3:18 am  #11

Still down :/ *sigh* I might as well code my own version at this point.

10/15/2018 10:34 pm  #12

Should be up, now. (Use the updated links in the initial post, rather than anything you might have bookmarked.)

10/16/2018 5:24 am  #13

Great work! Crazy useful!

10/16/2018 9:40 am  #14

Philotomy wrote:

Should be up, now. (Use the updated links in the initial post, rather than anything you might have bookmarked.)

Awesome, thanks! Check's in the mail!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/16/2018 7:15 pm  #15

So cool!

10/16/2018 10:44 pm  #16

These are great resources, thank you very much. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.