!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2018 11:31 am  #41

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"What is it now? I'm tired and ready to return to my warm bed. I've had enough of this freezing rain, and your horrid snoring. Leave me be!"

9/23/2018 12:22 pm  #42

I quickly hand him back his lucky rabbit's foot while holding my dagger and say: "You go first!"
Edging him to the door of the church

9/23/2018 5:45 pm  #43

"Well since you put it like that..."

You lead Olo at knifepoint up to the charred church. Olo pauses in front of the heavy door and looks closely at the crude writing that is carved into it. 

Finally, he manages to work out the words and reads them aloud to you.

Herein perished the Wicked Generation. Gods forgive us for what we've done.

9/23/2018 5:52 pm  #44

"Alright, Olo, go ahead and open it."
I step back and switch to my bow.

9/23/2018 6:37 pm  #45

Olo reluctantly pushes against the door.

"It's stuck," he grunts.

The dreaded rain begins anew.

9/23/2018 7:04 pm  #46

"Olo! Try pulling!"

9/23/2018 8:11 pm  #47

He rolls his eyes and points to jamb.

"Obviously the hinges are within. It pushes." Then mutters something under his breath about the priest should've checked your INT ability before assigning you this task.

9/23/2018 9:02 pm  #48

"Push harder!"

<Mornard says: "Crash!!!! Door (fill in the blank)">

9/23/2018 9:30 pm  #49

"It's stuck I said! Help me, you idiot!"

9/23/2018 9:55 pm  #50

Reluctantly I help

9/23/2018 10:05 pm  #51

Assuming you put your bow down, you lean against the heavy door with Olo.
Roll d6

9/24/2018 9:38 am  #52

9/24/2018 4:11 pm  #53

With your combined effort, the rusted hinges snap in pieces and the door falls with a loud crash to the floor.

Eight pews blackened with soot are centered in the 40x40 ft room. Burned remnants of holy books and wet clumps of loose papers litter the floor. The heavily damaged ceiling allow both light and the heavy rain.

A raised pulpit makes up the center of the far wall. It's flanked by a burned out doorway on the right and on the left by a melted harp.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/30/2018 5:13 pm)

9/24/2018 4:51 pm  #54

Alright, Olo, go ahead and check it out."
I step back and switch to my bow.

9/24/2018 5:56 pm  #55

Olo seems a little overwhelmed. He steps forward and picks up one of the soaked books.

"They burned the church? And with the children locked inside? I always assumed it was a fireside story, to scare the wretched into righteousness. Could there really be a witch?"

You see now that he is merely a child himself. He kneels in the doorway. "You search, Malak. I will pray."

9/24/2018 6:02 pm  #56

Walk to the alter or I will put an arrow in you

9/24/2018 6:14 pm  #57

He raises his head from his prayer and sees you are not kidding.

Slowly he gets to his feet and shakes his head. "I should have run back that first miserable night. The priest has made a serious error in judgement."

He walks through the rows of burned pews toward the pulpit. He looks back at your notched arrow. "The first night."

His face contorts as something on the ground catches his eye. Instinctively, you lower your aim in that direction, but the pews block your line of sight.

With a shriek of horror, Olo crumples to the floor. The unmistakable wrench of metal against raw bone and that awful tearing of flesh fills the room.

9/25/2018 12:29 am  #58

Whatever it is, I fire an arrow at it...

9/25/2018 2:00 pm  #59

The pews block your line of sight but you let an arrow fly! It chunks into the back of the first pew very near where Olo fell.

His frightened and agonizing caterwaul is suddenly squelched and all you can hear is the steady splatter of the rain all around you.

9/25/2018 6:08 pm  #60

I notch another arrow and wait!
<phase 2>

Last edited by achiriaco (9/25/2018 6:14 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.