!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2018 10:38 pm  #1

Favorite Character Record Sheets

As much as I like AS&SH, I'm not digging the 4 page character record sheets.  Too much flipping back and forth in play.  It even slows down character creation.  My favorite character record sheets remain those produced by The Armory in the late 1980s/early 90s by Ken Carpenter.  They have space for everything on just two sides, including general skills/non-weapon proficiencies and can handle very high level characters.  Luckily, I still have some from when I bought a big pad back in the day (which included 7 parchment high quality sheets I've never used) and now I can just photocopy as needed.  It seems that only older versions of the Armory sheets, which are much less attractive, are still readily available online.  So I'll be switching over to these for my AS&SH characters as well. Just wondering what record sheets others found most useful.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

9/11/2018 7:24 am  #2

Re: Favorite Character Record Sheets

I have mine in PDF and I write small so I double sheet and landscape them so 4 sheets fit on 1 page (2 per side)...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

9/11/2018 7:59 am  #3

Spider of Leng wrote:

As much as I like AS&SH, I'm not digging the 4 page character record sheets.  Too much flipping back and forth in play.  It even slows down character creation.  My favorite character record sheets remain those produced by The Armory in the late 1980s/early 90s by Ken Carpenter.  They have space for everything on just two sides, including general skills/non-weapon proficiencies and can handle very high level characters.  Luckily, I still have some from when I bought a big pad back in the day (which included 7 parchment high quality sheets I've never used) and now I can just photocopy as needed.  It seems that only older versions of the Armory sheets, which are much less attractive, are still readily available online.  So I'll be switching over to these for my AS&SH characters as well. Just wondering what record sheets others found most useful.

The four pager is fine for me in a campaign setting where all the info is needed.  I usually create a much more concise character sheet for convention games.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/11/2018 4:43 pm  #4

I use the four-pager, but printed on 11 x 17, double-sided, then folded: so, one piece of paper. A challenge to print at home, so waiting for some more official sheets.  

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/14/2018 11:03 am  #5

Spider of Leng wrote:

My favorite character record sheets remain those produced by The Armory in the late 1980s/early 90s by Ken Carpenter.  They have space for everything on just two sides, including general skills/non-weapon proficiencies and can handle very high level characters.  Luckily, I still have some from when I bought a big pad back in the day (which included 7 parchment high quality sheets I've never used) and now I can just photocopy as needed.  It seems that only older versions of the Armory sheets, which are much less attractive, are still readily available online. 

I'm curious about the differences from the Ken Carpenter sheets vs. the very cramped Armory sheets I've seen (one of the guys in our group uses them, and they're more cramped than even the AD&D golderod sheets).  Do you have a scan/picture you can share?  They're not on the Mad Irishman's site already.

Allan.

Last edited by grodog (9/14/2018 11:07 am)

9/14/2018 10:31 pm  #6

I'm curious about the differences from the Ken Carpenter sheets vs. the very cramped Armory sheets I've seen (one of the guys in our group uses them, and they're more cramped than even the AD&D golderod sheets).  Do you have a scan/picture you can share?  They're not on the Mad Irishman's site already.

Yeah; I'll try to scan one.  They are far superior to the older Armory ones.  They don't have a space for a character sketch or symbol, but I can't draw so I never cared for that anyhow.  And they have a fair amount of space for notes, where you can include extra magic items, background info or whatever.  They used to sell them on Noble Knight and rpg geek:
https://www.nobleknight.com/P/8233/Armory-Character-Record-Sheets-Revised-Edition
https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/76818/armory-fantasy-role-playing-character-sheets

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

9/15/2018 12:43 am  #7

Thanks for the pointers---based on the cover art, I think I may have a set of these after all! :D

Allan.

9/15/2018 6:22 pm  #8

How do I upload a pdf?  I got an invalid file message.

9/18/2018 10:21 pm  #9

Looks like only image file types are available as uploads, Spider of Leng.  If you want to email the PDF to me directly, I can stick it up on my www.greyhawkonline.com site?

Allan.

9/19/2018 10:08 pm  #10

Sure; PM coming your way!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.