!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2018 9:15 am  #21

Re: Gary Con XI (2019)

Just checking the events so far submitted and approved for Gary Con XI.

Looks like there are 5 so far (I know it's still early for event submission).

I did notice that 3 of the 5 have "HYPERBOREA: <TITLE>" in the event name where the other 2 don't.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those three are Ghul's (since theare Sea-Wolf daughter related). :-)

Last edited by gizmomathboy (8/15/2018 9:15 am)

What? Me worry?

8/17/2018 9:41 pm  #22

Chainsaw wrote:

Gary Con XI’s scheduled for March 7-10, 2019 at the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, WI. Always a great event - hope everyone can attend! If you're already thinking of attending, do you plan to run anything? If so, what and when?

I'm planning to only play events this year, and look forward to checking out more of everyone's games!

That said, I am working on a Greyhawk seminar for GaryCon (and that that we may do both NTX too, perhaps).

Allan.

8/18/2018 8:35 am  #23

I've never run a con game before (have only attended 2 cons), but want to run a couple this year.  I'm thinking I'll probably run one of the published modules and just cut out some stuff to get to into the meat of it.  Ghost Ship seems like a good contender, since its main dungeon isn't too big.

8/18/2018 4:44 pm  #24

gizmomathboy wrote:

Just checking the events so far submitted and approved for Gary Con XI.

Looks like there are 5 so far (I know it's still early for event submission).

I did notice that 3 of the 5 have "HYPERBOREA: <TITLE>" in the event name where the other 2 don't.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those three are Ghul's (since theare Sea-Wolf daughter related). :-)

My single AS&SH event is not set in Hyperborea.  It's my annual Lankhmar game.

8/19/2018 6:25 am  #25

francisca wrote:

Wait, what? How did I miss that you use AS&SH in Lankhmar! I have my old and tattered AD&D 1e Lankhmar module, and occasionally pull it out to look over. Do you use AS&SH RAW in it, or do you modify the rules at all?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/19/2018 5:18 pm  #26

rhialto wrote:

francisca wrote:

Wait, what? How did I miss that you use AS&SH in Lankhmar! I have my old and tattered AD&D 1e Lankhmar module, and occasionally pull it out to look over. Do you use AS&SH RAW in it, or do you modify the rules at all?

Well, I haven't run a campaign....yet.  But for the one-shots, I've only allowed the ledgerdemainist as a PC spell caster, and they 'don't have spells, but can use scrolls.  In a campaign, they'd have to find them/loot them from a wizard.  Rangers are in my games, but lack spells.

So, with no healing, other than the natural full-hit die-per-night's-rest (which helps), they have to pick their fights.  So far, it has worked great, in that people tell me it feels like Lankhmar, and they keep coming back year after year. 

But yeah, pretty much straight up AS&SH besides the spellcasting restriction.

Guy Fullerton has the pregens from my Lankhmar game I ran at Gary Con, if you want to have a look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPjnmLBgoOHobEtp1zh0dq3OTLYeafmf/view?usp=sharing

His entire pre-gen library is here: https://unvisiblecitadel.blogspot.com/2016/06/old-school-pregenerated-character.html

Last edited by francisca (8/19/2018 5:23 pm)

8/20/2018 10:18 am  #27

francisca wrote:

Well, I haven't run a campaign....yet.  But for the one-shots, I've only allowed the ledgerdemainist as a PC spell caster, and they 'don't have spells, but can use scrolls.  In a campaign, they'd have to find them/loot them from a wizard.  Rangers are in my games, but lack spells.

So, with no healing, other than the natural full-hit die-per-night's-rest (which helps), they have to pick their fights.  So far, it has worked great, in that people tell me it feels like Lankhmar, and they keep coming back year after year. 

But yeah, pretty much straight up AS&SH besides the spellcasting restriction.

Guy Fullerton has the pregens from my Lankhmar game I ran at Gary Con, if you want to have a look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPjnmLBgoOHobEtp1zh0dq3OTLYeafmf/view?usp=sharing

His entire pre-gen library is here: https://unvisiblecitadel.blogspot.com/2016/06/old-school-pregenerated-character.html

Interesting, thanks much: do you compensate the Legerdemainist or Ranger classes for losing their sorcery spell-casting abilities?

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/20/2018 11:27 am  #28

rhialto wrote:

Interesting, thanks much: do you compensate the Legerdemainist or Ranger classes for losing their sorcery spell-casting abilities?

Nope.

9/16/2018 11:37 am  #29

Not attending this year. Got a chance to play in DMPrata game at GCX. Great game!

9/16/2018 12:37 pm  #30

achiriaco wrote:

Not attending this year. Got a chance to play in DMPrata game at GCX. Great game!

Sadly, I'm out too.  I remember that game! Death by friendly Magic-user again.....

9/17/2018 10:21 am  #31

I'll be there. I'm running three sessions of the Black Moss-Hag of Lug, as well as three sessions of DCC Lankhmar. I have some pregens that DM Dave sent me last year for Total Con. They're the level 1 iconics from the second ed. They're on the form-fillable sheet, so you can adjust them for any level. I can put them up to drive if there's interest.

10/25/2018 8:29 pm  #32

Checking back in on Chainsaw's Annual Events Summary...anybody got the running list?? 

10/25/2018 11:04 pm  #33

Just submitted my AS&SH events:

Thursday:
8am - 12pm: Descent into Krimmea
12pm - 4pm: Descent into Krimmea 
4pm - 8pm: Descent into Krimmea

The lost underground Kimmerian city sealed itself from the outside world a thousand years ago when the Green Death ravaged the lands. Recently, Krimmeans have emerged, bringing rare metals, fungi and other goods prized in the markets of Khromarium, and your party has been commissioned to explore Krimmea.Each session will start at different levels. Characters levels 1-5, pregens provided.

Saturday:
10am - 2pm: The Black Tower of Mylakhrion

Caught in a terrible storm of unimaginable violence, your ship barely survived. The following days were a silent darkness that pushed everyone to the edges of their sanity. The Phobos moon illuminates an alien looking tower that rises from the ocean depths, and your heavily damaged ship cannot seem to avoid it.Does this tower offer safety, or death? You'll find out.Levels 1-3, pregens provided.

Last edited by Ar'Pharazon (10/25/2018 11:05 pm)

10/26/2018 8:10 am  #34

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Just submitted my AS&SH events:

Thursday:
8am - 12pm: Descent into Krimmea
12pm - 4pm: Descent into Krimmea 
4pm - 8pm: Descent into Krimmea

The lost underground Kimmerian city sealed itself from the outside world a thousand years ago when the Green Death ravaged the lands. Recently, Krimmeans have emerged, bringing rare metals, fungi and other goods prized in the markets of Khromarium, and your party has been commissioned to explore Krimmea.Each session will start at different levels. Characters levels 1-5, pregens provided.

Saturday:
10am - 2pm: The Black Tower of Mylakhrion

Caught in a terrible storm of unimaginable violence, your ship barely survived. The following days were a silent darkness that pushed everyone to the edges of their sanity. The Phobos moon illuminates an alien looking tower that rises from the ocean depths, and your heavily damaged ship cannot seem to avoid it.Does this tower offer safety, or death? You'll find out.Levels 1-3, pregens provided.

...insane shipmates...alien tower....not betting on safety!

10/26/2018 8:13 am  #35

Iron Ranger wrote:

Checking back in on Chainsaw's Annual Events Summary...anybody got the running list?? 

Sorry! Meant to do this and time slipped away. Will do the summary this Sunday. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/26/2018 12:55 pm  #36

Iron Ranger wrote:

...insane shipmates...alien tower....not betting on safety!

Spoiler alert: you may be right..

10/30/2018 7:44 pm  #37

Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Solomon Kane (SK1)

Thursday 7pm - 11pm
Friday 1pm - 5pm
Sunday 11am - 3pm

In the winter of 1609, the settlers of Jamestown Fort struggle to survive harsh, unforgiving elements, shortages of food, disease, and unrest among the native people. Spurred by an urgent plea from Sir Walter Raleigh, Solomon Kane and his companions must sail to the New World and face an ancient enemy that poses an even greater threat to the survival of the new settlement and the very souls of those within.

As Kane watches their approach from the deck of the ship, his hand slips down into his coat, pulling out a folded, yellowing piece of paper. Reading the letter once again, his eyes linger on the last few lines:

“I beg of you, set sail immediately; I can arrange for quick passage. You and your companions are the only ones I can trust in this, the King and court would think me mad should I bring this matter before them. May God have mercy and I pray that I am wrong, but I believe a great evil is about to befall the colony of Jamestown. It is but for a single word that I say this, one that Captain White first discovered etched in a fence post during his search for those belonging to the lost colony some eighteen years ago. It’s the same word that John Smith screamed, over and over, only two nights ago during a frenzied, maddened sleep as I stood by his bedside, frozen in stark terror.

The word, Solomon, was ‘CROATOAN’.”

10/31/2018 10:53 pm  #38

Just registered my first 12 hours on Garycon (gotta get that sweet 20% off!).   My Hyperborea events:

Thursday 10am-2pm  Hyperborea: The Devil Made Us Do It the First Time
Friday 8pm-12am       Hyperborea:  The Devil Made Us Do It the First Time

Seven years after the sack of a prosperous town a band of former mercenaries has returned in search of a former companion who holds the key to finding treasure hidden during the carnage. For seven fighter and fighter subclass characters of 5th - 7th level; characters provided

11/01/2018 9:42 pm  #39

These are sounding excellent, my friends! Great stuff!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/03/2018 8:12 pm  #40

I'm in finally! Set run one game thus far, I may add a second session, but I have yet to convince the wife to get there early on Friday. 

SATURDAY: 4pm-8pm: Lost Cairns of the Savages: A sandbox adventure to the fog shrouded Black Feather Island where rumors persist that pre-historic savages built burial cairns which hold untold riches, but are they ripe for the picking or are they deadly ripe? Loosely based on Howards "Wolves Beyond the Border" "The Black Stranger" and "Beyond the Black River".

@Chainsaw: I couldn't find your listing of games being run at Garycon in 2019... am I blind?

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.