!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2016 9:06 am  #1

The Warlord Chronicles - Bernard Cornwell

I'm re-reading Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Saga, which is a mix of historical fiction and Arthurian mythology, and I am getting a good AS&SH vibe.  If you haven't read it, it's a far cry from the more well known takes on King Arthur.  I might take a stab at making an adventure based off of it.  

3/23/2016 6:59 pm  #2

Re: The Warlord Chronicles - Bernard Cornwell

He's been on my radar for a while -- now more so since watching "The Last Kingdom," which I've enjoyed quite a bit.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/23/2016 8:03 pm  #3

Barnett1967 wrote:

I'm re-reading Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Saga, which is a mix of historical fiction and Arthurian mythology, and I am getting a good AS&SH vibe.  If you haven't read it, it's a far cry from the more well known takes on King Arthur.  I might take a stab at making an adventure based off of it.  

Need to re-read this amazing take on the King Arthur story.  The Sharpe's series is good as well.  Not so much for ASSH but well.... A British Rifle regiment gets caught up in a strange mist....

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/23/2016 10:18 pm  #4

Ghul wrote:

He's been on my radar for a while -- now more so since watching "The Last Kingdom," which I've enjoyed quite a bit.

The Saxon Tales series is one of my favorites, and I was very happy about the way the "The Last Kingdom" turned out.

9/03/2018 6:00 pm  #5

I think the Warlord Chronicles is a great fit for AS&SH. I stumbled into The Winter King in my public library 18 years ago and was immediately hooked. There's a good deal more superstition and black magic in this trilogy than in The Last Kingdom. I love the way Lancelot is revealed to be a cowardly douchebag who paid off poets. 

The magic in the series is subtle but it still plays a central role because the people all BELIEVE it works.  Merlin explains to Derfel in the first book, that HE knows his magic works, but he puts on a show to help the doubters along.

Last edited by Fauconberg (9/23/2018 3:09 pm)

9/04/2018 4:39 am  #6

Fauconberg wrote:

I love the way Lancelot is revealed to be a cowardly douchebag who paid off poets. 

I know, one of the most memorable parts of the series! 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.