!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2018 8:26 am  #1

Spellcasting and Hindered

p252 notes that

If a sorcerer is engaged in melee with an enemy and attempts to cast a spell, he is effectively hindered

which translates to having a penalty of -2 AC.
My question is whether the same penalty applies to missile attacks targeted at a sorcerer whilst casting? Even though the rules stay silent, an argument can be made that the sorcerer is equally distracted, therefore cannot pay full attention to and position properly against an incoming arrow.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (8/17/2018 9:15 am)

8/17/2018 8:46 am  #2

Re: Spellcasting and Hindered

I would say they suffer the penalty. They aren't focusing on any kind of combat, missile fire included.

So, don't cast in melee . :-)

What? Me worry?

8/17/2018 9:28 am  #3

gizmomathboy wrote:

I would say they suffer the penalty. They aren't focusing on any kind of combat, missile fire included.

So, don't cast in melee . :-)

I agree.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

8/17/2018 10:41 am  #4

Not sure I agree. Depends on when the missiles were launched. Also maybe on the level of the caster... I would think that with experience, staying cool as a cucumber under fire could become the norm.

8/17/2018 6:00 pm  #5

If the sorcerer is casting in melee, then he suffers a –2 AC penalty vs. all attacks (melee and missile). If the sorcerer is not in melee, then he retains his normal AC vs. incoming missiles.

8/17/2018 8:14 pm  #6

DMPrata wrote:

If the sorcerer is casting in melee, then he suffers a –2 AC penalty vs. all attacks (melee and missile). If the sorcerer is not in melee, then he retains his normal AC vs. incoming missiles.

Now this I can agree with!

How close can the caster get to the melee without being "in" the melee and suffering the penalty?
The length of the longest nearest weapon?

8/18/2018 9:01 am  #7

Iron Ranger wrote:

How close can the caster get to the melee without being "in" the melee and suffering the penalty?

I’d use the enemies’ reach, as defined on p. 248.

8/19/2018 9:22 pm  #8

DMPrata wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

I’d use the enemies’ reach, as defined on p. 248.

Thanks David!
(Vol III, p. 212 for those of us still in the 1E boxed set.)

8/22/2018 11:39 am  #9

@ DMPrata
Oh yeah, I somehow missed that hindered applies to both melee and missile attacks. Thanks for the clarification!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.