!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2014 5:15 am  #1

Calculating monster XP

A question about calculating XP.

I am converting the nymph from AD&D, which casts spells like a 7th level druid. How does that translate to XP?
Should I treat it all as one Major Ability (spells 4th - 6h level), or as one Major and one Minor?
Or maybe even 9 Minor and 1 Major?

The ogre mage has a wide range of spells. Fly, invisibility, alter self, charm person, wraithform, cone of cold, and darkness. Flight is one Minor Ability, but should I treat all the others as a single Major ability, one Major and one Minor, or even two Major and four Minor ones?

The amount of XP would change very significantly based on which system used, especially for the ogre mage, who could be as low as 580xp or as high as 940xp.

Which do you think would be best to use?

Last edited by Yora (4/09/2014 5:17 am)

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

4/09/2014 6:30 am  #2

Re: Calculating monster XP

I'd think one minor, one major for the dryad; two minor one major for the ogre mage?

4/09/2014 6:51 am  #3

Re: Calculating monster XP

That would have been my intuitive call as well.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.