!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2018 2:09 pm  #1

​Banking Experience Points

I have been making new PCs start at level 1 with 0 xp  as Gygax intended. So far, so good but I am thinking of the future when players start hitting levels 6+. Since the soul of a good game is player agency,  I believe that planning and resource management should be able to mitigate the inevitable disasters that strike adventurers.

I have considered allowing players to "bank" experience points for their next character. Basically, a player can spend gold on a 1gp for 1xp basis that goes towards their next character, perhaps an apprentice, henchman, or heir. I like to introduce cool and useful things for my players to invest in; choosing to bank xp means a player misses out on something desirable. While this sounds decent enough in theory I suspect there will be unintended consequences.

I am open to feedback, criticism, and alternative ideas. If someone can make a good argument I am even willing to concede that players should just start off at level 1. I will channel my inner grognard and plainly state that I don't like milestone xp, starting off new characters at the lowest level in the party, or rulings that turn character death into a mere speed bump on the road to high level play.

6/20/2018 2:29 pm  #2

Re: ​Banking Experience Points

Part of the genius of the xp system that with increasing amounts needed at each level the new character will be reasonably close in level to the party very quickly.  

As far as investing in other things I have never encountered players that wanted to sacrifice xp to anything but level gain.  Just my experience so to speak.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/20/2018 5:09 pm  #3

mabon5127 wrote:

As far as investing in other things I have never encountered players that wanted to sacrifice xp to anything but level gain.  Just my experience so to speak.

Players would be spending gold, not xp, to bank experience points for their next character. The way I see it, there would have to be many equally desirable options for spending gold to make it work.

6/20/2018 8:02 pm  #4

Brock Savage wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Players would be spending gold, not xp, to bank experience points for their next character. The way I see it, there would have to be many equally desirable options for spending gold to make it work.

My bad, I thought they were banking actual xp and paying gold for the privilege.  

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/20/2018 10:28 pm  #5

mabon5127 wrote:

Part of the genius of the xp system that with increasing amounts needed at each level the new character will be reasonably close in level to the party very quickly.

I agree with this. In AD&D I always start all new PCs at 1st level, and I've never noticed any particular problems. A new PC can be the "heir" of a deceased one, allowing him to start with better equipment (and possibly magic items and/or an advanced spell book) not usually available at 1st level.

It all evens out, in my opinion.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/20/2018 10:30 pm  #6

I don't say that to pour cold water on the idea of experimenting, which I always think is cool (and I can't say that I've ever seen this type of "xp bank" scheme before, so that scores points for creativity); I just think this is one of the problems that's more theoretical than real.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/21/2018 1:57 am  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

In AD&D I always start all new PCs at 1st level, and I've never noticed any particular problems. A new PC can be the "heir" of a deceased one, allowing him to start with better equipment (and possibly magic items and/or an advanced spell book) not usually available at 1st level..

Allowing an heir, apprentice, henchman, or relative to inherit wealth and gear from a deceased PC is exactly the sort of idea I want to implement. In hindsight, it's a lot simpler and more manageable than some crazy xp banking scheme.  

Blackadder23 wrote:

I don't say that to pour cold water on the idea of experimenting, which I always think is cool (and I can't say that I've ever seen this type of "xp bank" scheme before, so that scores points for creativity); I just think this is one of the problems that's more theoretical than real. =11pt

So far level 1 replacement characters are working just fine so I am in no rush to reinvent the wheel. You are absolutely right that the "problem" is purely theoretical and could very well be a false concern. That said, I like to bounce ideas around on this board as the feedback is often quite useful. 

7/08/2018 9:45 am  #8

A system that handles this well is  in a game called Hackmaster (the new edition)it's called the protege/mentor and PC can give up to 1/2 exp earned by teaching another character in the waiting...i.e. a hireling/henchman or just a PC that is ready to be played when the "mentor" PC dies.

7/08/2018 12:18 pm  #9

J.E.Snyder wrote:

PC can give up to 1/2 exp earned by teaching another character in the waiting...i.e. a hireling/henchman or just a PC that is ready to be played when the "mentor" PC dies.

This has potential, have you neen able to try it out during a campaign?

7/08/2018 9:04 pm  #10

J.E.Snyder wrote:

A system that handles this well is in a game called Hackmaster (the new edition)it's called the protege/mentor and PC can give up to 1/2 exp earned by teaching another character in the waiting...i.e. a hireling/henchman or just a PC that is ready to be played when the "mentor" PC dies.

Isn't this what the hirelings are really for - to take over when you bite it? I just don't see the point of this. Most of the fun is had at 1st level - 0 HP anyway. Why skip over the life and death stuff?

7/08/2018 11:23 pm  #11

Iron Ranger wrote:

Isn't this what the hirelings are really for - to take over when you bite it? I just don't see the point of this. Most of the fun is had at 1st level - 0 HP anyway. Why skip over the life and death stuff? 

I think this discussion is more of a thought experiment than anything else. I'm happy with new characters starting off at level one in my game but it's fun to discuss possibilities and mine the thread for ideas.

7/09/2018 7:50 am  #12

Brock Savage wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

I think this discussion is more of a thought experiment than anything else. I'm happy with new characters starting off at level one in my game but it's fun to discuss possibilities and mine the thread for ideas.

My hat's off to you, it's a wild and crazy idea. What can make it more appealing than taking over a hireling? Is it a second character the player has control of? Does the character earn it's own full share of xp?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.