!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2018 1:57 pm  #1

Magic Broom

Had a situation in last game - our witch was slain while attempting to flee on her Magic Broom. Of course our Thief jumped on in effort to escape as well. The broom immediately tried to dump him. I gave him a reduced chance to cling (Climb). He succeeded in hanging on, but the broom refused to take him anywhere.

So, the questions were
1) does the broom even function when witch is dead? Rules say broom can run another 6 turns, so I went with yes.
2) does an unwelcome rider get a chance to hang on for the "unceremonious dump"? Rules seem to point to no, but I couldn't figure out a good reason to argue against it.
3) does the broom leave the melee on its own or require the witch's command? Rules point to since the broom can dump the rider on its own, then it should command itself in witch's absence. I let it hang there for a few rounds to taunt the thief then it flew away into the night never to be seen again.

Anyone got any experiences/opinions? 

6/02/2018 4:16 pm  #2

Re: Magic Broom

Opinion: rare enough situation that I would do what seems cool and memorable in the moment. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/02/2018 5:54 pm  #3

Chainsaw wrote:

Opinion: rare enough situation that I would do what seems cool and memorable in the moment.

I agree with this. However, what I would probably rule:

1) The broom shatters with an ear-splitting crack and crumbles to pieces on the death of its owner.
2) No one can hold onto a magic broom because it's preternaturally slick for unwelcome riders.
3) I probably would not have the broom do anything (except the stated action of dumping riders) without a command. (However, if I ruled differently on the broom surviving the witch's death, I would probably have it fly off to Saturn upon the death of its owner.)

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/02/2018 5:54 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/02/2018 6:25 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

1) The broom shatters with an ear-splitting crack and crumbles to pieces on the death of its owner.

Harsh! I mean, its still a perfectly good broom! Now how are the party supposed to sweep away pointy rocks at the campsite? Killer DM!

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

6/02/2018 7:17 pm  #5

Chainsaw wrote:

Agreed, but the whole thing has me wondering about similar situations with other Intelligent items... like a fighter with an activated sword. 

6/02/2018 7:24 pm  #6

Blackadder23 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

2) No one can hold onto a magic broom because it's preternaturally slick for unwelcome riders.
3) I probably would not have the broom do anything (except the stated action of dumping riders) without a command. (However, if I ruled differently on the broom surviving the witch's death, I would probably have it fly off to Saturn upon the death of its owner.)

All cool stuff Ben, but I wasn't so sure that the bound spirit would suicide so easily.  I definitely saw the potential for Animated Broom mutiny a la Fantasia!  

6/02/2018 7:26 pm  #7

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Harsh! I mean, its still a perfectly good broom! Now how are the party supposed to sweep away pointy rocks at the campsite? Killer DM!

Hahaha! I know right? He's always unusually cruel! ;)

6/02/2018 10:26 pm  #8

Iron Ranger wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

All cool stuff Ben, but I wasn't so sure that the bound spirit would suicide so easily.  I definitely saw the potential for Animated Broom mutiny a la Fantasia!  

I guess I don't see it as suicide, but rather the spirit escaping the first chance it gets. I doubt it enjoys being bound inside a broom.
The Fantasia route is amusing as well. Maybe the free broom would fly away with an unwelcome rider and dump him somewhere undesirable (Mount Vhuurmithadon, Underborea, Saturn, the Isle of Ghul, etc,)

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/02/2018 10:29 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/03/2018 6:24 am  #9

Iron Ranger wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Agreed, but the whole thing has me wondering about similar situations with other Intelligent items... like a fighter with an activated sword. 

Right now in my campaign I have a Viking berserker who found an intelligent Viking axe that sings the praises of Ymir and loves nothing more than taking heads (which it does automatically on a roll of 20). The problem is this: The Viking owner of this axe has recently sworn allegiance to Xathoqqua. The axe is not happy, and threatens to kill him one night as he sleeps if he does not submit to the worship of Ymir. The berserker refuses, but he keeps giving the axe heads to take, keeping it sated . . . for now. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/03/2018 8:41 am  #10

Ghul wrote:

Right now in my campaign I have a Viking berserker who found an intelligent Viking axe that sings the praises of Ymir and loves nothing more than taking heads (which it does automatically on a roll of 20). The problem is this: The Viking owner of this axe has recently sworn allegiance to Xathoqqua. The axe is not happy, and threatens to kill him one night as he sleeps if he does not submit to the worship of Ymir. The berserker refuses, but he keeps giving the axe heads to take, keeping it sated . . . for now. ;)

That berserker better hope he doesn't roll a 1 during combat, lol.

6/03/2018 1:29 pm  #11

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Ghul wrote:

That berserker better hope he doesn't roll a 1 during combat, lol.

Shhhhhhh!!!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/03/2018 3:25 pm  #12

Ghul wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

I love it! And sounds like another vote for Intelligent Item can command itself when necessary?

6/03/2018 4:10 pm  #13

Iron Ranger wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Makes perfect sense - I didn’t mean to sound dismissive. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/03/2018 4:18 pm  #14

Chainsaw wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Makes perfect sense - I didn’t mean to sound dismissive.

Didn't take it that way. I have never ever ever had a magic broom anywhere near any of my games until this one, so it's rare as hell in my book. And not to take sides, but secretly I'm glad the thing is out of my hair. ;)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.