!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2018 3:55 pm  #1

Once per day...

This just came up last night and I've searched the book to no avail. How are you handling once per day "recharges"?
24 hours from use? Or can a berserker who waited until 4am to rage, rage again at daybreak? 

5/03/2018 6:35 pm  #2

Re: Once per day...

Once per 24 hour period.

What? Me worry?

5/03/2018 7:35 pm  #3

gizmomathboy wrote:

Once per 24 hour period.

I'm assuming you mean 24 hours after the ability/spell/item is used only then it is recharged, rather than it resets at a fixed time.

Using it at 11:59PM on Moon Day and again at 12:00AM on Star Day is still once per 24 hour period.

5/03/2018 7:38 pm  #4

I think that’s a subject for referee discretion. Personally, I would rule once per 24-hour period after a normal sleep cycle (so no 11:59 P.M. followed by 12:01 A.M.).

5/03/2018 7:48 pm  #5

DMPrata wrote:

I think that’s a subject for referee discretion. Personally, I would rule once per 24-hour period after a normal sleep cycle (so no 11:59 P.M. followed by 12:01 A.M.).

Makes sense for berserker rage. How about when a magic item is in control? Like a ring of invisibility? Same thing?

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/03/2018 7:48 pm)

5/03/2018 7:59 pm  #6

Depends on the item... I might wait a full 23:55, or only until Helios next peeks above the horizon (which could be a long time indeed during Nightfall), or I might roll a die if Xathoqqua were involved. For most practical purposes, I’d just go with whatever I felt was appropriate in the moment, without giving the players any consistently reliable information. It’s sorcery!

5/03/2018 8:02 pm  #7

DMPrata wrote:

Depends on the item... I might wait a full 23:55, or only until Helios next peeks above the horizon (which could be a long time indeed during Nightfall), or I might roll a die if Xathoqqua were involved. For most practical purposes, I’d just go with whatever I felt was appropriate in the moment, without giving the players any consistently reliable information. It’s sorcery!

Love to keep the players guessing, no matter what they know the rulebook says!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (5/03/2018 8:03 pm)

5/03/2018 9:19 pm  #8

Iron Ranger wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

Makes sense for berserker rage. How about when a magic item is in control? Like a ring of invisibility? Same thing?

Like DMPrata said, you could make the recharge time thematic if you don't mind adjusting for Hyperborea's crazy day and night cycle. Dusk or midnight would suit a ring of invisibility. Dawn might be common for items forged before the coming of the Ashen Worm.

5/03/2018 10:35 pm  #9

Unless the item or power had an intimate and obvious connection with sunrise or moonrise, I would rule that "once per day" means a full 24 hours must elapse between one use and the next use.

Players trying to "game the system" by using a power at 11:59 PM and 12:01 AM would not amuse me.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/03/2018 10:35 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/04/2018 5:49 am  #10

I usually treat every recharge the same. When spellcasters would re-memorise their spells, that's when items and other abilities "get off cooldown" too.

5/04/2018 10:43 am  #11

Brock Savage wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

Like DMPrata said, you could make the recharge time thematic if you don't mind adjusting for Hyperborea's crazy day and night cycle. Dusk or midnight would suit a ring of invisibility. Dawn might be common for items forged before the coming of the Ashen Worm.

I prefer this more outside-the-box thinking, with the powers being way more unpredictable than this strict 24 hours after usage interpretation. Thanks guys!!

9/17/2018 2:42 pm  #12

Iron Ranger wrote:

Brock Savage wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

I prefer this more outside-the-box thinking, with the powers being way more unpredictable than this strict 24 hours after usage interpretation. Thanks guys!!

In my game I would rule 24 hour period starts at dawn. So if a magic item charge is used 10 minutes before dawn, wait 10 minutes and use it again.

Last edited by achiriaco (9/17/2018 2:42 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.