!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2018 10:35 pm  #1

​Campaign Management Tools

What tools do you use for campaign management?  I'd love to hear everyone's tips and tricks

At the time of writing my "DM Bible", hacks, adventures, notes, pdf documents, and damn near everything else is organized in Microsoft OneNote. My hundreds of OSR docs are stored in Google Drive.

When I run a game I use 3x5 cards, 3-ring binders, and ye olde pen & paper along with hardcopy rule books and miniatures. My girlfriend and I are tactile gamers and don’t use electronic media at the table (it just doesn't work for me, for the same reasons I prefer tabletop games to Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds).

I recently bought the World's Greatest Screen and it's decent. You might get sticker shock at the price but I find value in its long-term utility and flexibility.  I'm also too lazy to kludge something together myself. 

When I need to share a document with players, I use Google Docs.

Right now I handle downtime, adventure seeds, post-game wrap-up and announcements through email but I'm looking for something better. Obsidian Portal looks okay but I am open to suggestions.

5/01/2018 8:50 am  #2

Re: ​Campaign Management Tools

Since I wrote this, I guess this pretty much sums up what I do:

https://opensource.com/article/17/6/open-source-gaming

I also have a "DM Notes" notebook, and I have recorded the audio of about 99% of the sessions I've DM'd f2f.

Last edited by gizmomathboy (5/01/2018 9:01 am)

What? Me worry?

5/01/2018 11:20 am  #3

I tried Epic Words for a quick minute, but now I'm right back to the trusty legal pad, the module and my hand as a screen for secret rolls.

5/01/2018 2:28 pm  #4

Brock Savage wrote:

What tools do you use for campaign management?  I'd love to hear everyone's tips and tricks

At the time of writing my "DM Bible", hacks, adventures, notes, pdf documents, and damn near everything else is organized in Microsoft OneNote. My hundreds of OSR docs are stored in Google Drive.

When I run a game I use 3x5 cards, 3-ring binders, and ye olde pen & paper along with hardcopy rule books and miniatures. My girlfriend and I are tactile gamers and don’t use electronic media at the table (it just doesn't work for me, for the same reasons I prefer tabletop games to Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds).

I recently bought the World's Greatest Screen and it's decent. You might get sticker shock at the price but I find value in its long-term utility and flexibility.  I'm also too lazy to kludge something together myself. 

When I need to share a document with players, I use Google Docs.

Right now I handle downtime, adventure seeds, post-game wrap-up and announcements through email but I'm looking for something better. Obsidian Portal looks okay but I am open to suggestions.

I use a product called Campaign Logger to record various campaign items, places, and NPC's and how they interact with each other. 

I use the ref sheets from the free resources.

During a game I record some notes, forget to record most, then wait too long to write them down during the week then several days before the next game I ask my oldest daughter what happened.....

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/01/2018 3:00 pm  #5

There is absolutely nothing I recommend more highly than Scrivener.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

5/01/2018 3:09 pm  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

then several days before the next game I ask my oldest daughter what happened.....

YEP!!

5/01/2018 7:02 pm  #7

mabon5127 wrote:

I use a product called Campaign Logger to record various campaign items, places, and NPC's and how they interact with each other. 

During a game I record some notes, forget to record most, then wait too long to write them down during the week then several days before the next game I ask my oldest daughter what happened..... 

Thanks I will check out Campaign Logger. I am very fortunate to have a diligent veteran player who helpfully records everything of importance.

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

There is absolutely nothing I recommend more highly than Scrivener.

Wow, that's high praise. I will try to take a look at it tonight. 

2/04/2019 11:34 pm  #8

Just an FYI, I have been tracking our campaign logs in Obsidian Portal for a while, like it a lot, and got them to add AS&SH to their game filter system, so you can actually select it now as the game system you're playing, and they now link to the hyperborea.tv website too if you click on the image in the campaign front page section

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.