!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2018 7:44 pm  #1

In Umbrage Taken

Has anybody made it all the way through this little gem?

4/23/2018 8:55 am  #2

Re: In Umbrage Taken

Not heard of this...

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/23/2018 10:24 am  #3

It looks like a convention scenario. I'd love to see more of these available even if it's just a few pages of notes.

4/23/2018 10:31 am  #4

David ran it GaryCon X, but unfortunately we Fireballed ourselves to death before made any headway on the mystery. Hoping to try it again one day.

4/23/2018 5:31 pm  #5

Oh, you were in that group, huh? What could possibly go wrong casting fireball in a five-foot-diameter tunnel? I adapted In Umbrage Taken from an AD&D® 2E adventure, “Terror in the Tropics”, in WGR2 Treasures of Greyhawk​, so sadly it’s unfit for publication. Pick up the original if you don’t own it; you’ll find it lends itself quite well to the Hyperborea setting.

4/23/2018 7:31 pm  #6

Ha! I wasn't the one who cast it!

5/01/2018 10:42 am  #7

Just took at look at Terror in the Tropics, and gotta say, I think I like where In Umbrage Taken was headed more.

5/03/2018 8:07 pm  #8

Iron Ranger wrote:

Just took at look at Terror in the Tropics, and gotta say, I think I like where In Umbrage Taken was headed more.

I appreciate the sentiment, but the adventures were basically the same, apart from a dose of Hyperborean flavour.

SPOILERS FOLLOW
(highlight to read)

​[In “Terror in the Tropics”, settlers are being abducted by yuan-ti for sacrifice to their deity, Sarthis. In “In Umbrage Taken”, settlers are being abducted by snake-men for unspecified diabolical purposes. Perhaps some are being experimented upon and/or eaten and/or transformed into snake-men via the sorcery-science engendered by their deity, Yig. The one substantive change I made was making all the snake-men classed NPCs: fighters, clerics, warlocks, necromancers, monks, priests, and assassins of from 7th through 9th level.]

5/04/2018 12:32 pm  #9

Well, definitely felt like there was much more intrigue at the table - great re-skin!

9/16/2018 12:19 pm  #10

I was also in that game where the Fireball was cast. Haha!!
Great time. I do wish we explored further. But, I guess it had to be done!!!!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.