!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2018 12:15 pm  #1

The Black City

There is a great series of posts on the Dream in the Lich House blog (I can't post a link as I'm too new to the forum) outlining a megadungeon the author was working on (sadly, the last post is from 2014).  It's about an alien city encased in a glacier that was discovered by Vikings.  Basically, the Vikings make a summer camp/trade town outside the city and various groups raid/explore it during the summer months instead of neighboring kingdoms.

The author was originally planning to publish it, but it hasn't happened yet - I'm going to try contacting him to see if he's still working on it.  The outline is more than enough to start with, though.  I hope to start my adaptation of it soon and may run it as an online game if I can't drum up enough local interest.

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places." H.P. Lovecraft, The Picture in the House

3/02/2018 12:28 pm  #2

Re: The Black City

Here is your link :

Black City

Reading through it now, Looks great, Hopefully the Original Writer will pick it back up

Last edited by BlackKnight (3/02/2018 12:30 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

3/02/2018 3:38 pm  #3

You can see someone's more recent take on it at the Mutants & Magic blog series (for ACKS, but lots of Hyperborean-tainted cross-over goodness):

https://mutantsmagic.wordpress.com/black-city/

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/15/2018 1:51 pm  #4

This is awesome, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

3/15/2018 8:57 pm  #5

Oh snap. That's glorious! 

3/16/2018 11:32 am  #6

Yeah, I have poked around on this few times. Good stuff.

3/18/2018 7:18 pm  #7

Great resource! Thanks for this.

Another atmospheric backdrop to a campaign, or a good place for ideas is Eridu, which can be found here: https://isimud.wordpress.com/

It's an AD&D weird Mesopotamia; great stuff!

3/19/2018 3:51 am  #8

Doctor_Rob wrote:

Great resource! Thanks for this.

Another atmospheric backdrop to a campaign, or a good place for ideas is Eridu, which can be found here: https://isimud.wordpress.com/

It's an AD&D weird Mesopotamia; great stuff!

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'm always looking for other ideas for my Atlantean setting.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/28/2018 8:32 pm  #9

Hi; I've been running the "Mutants & Magic" Black City campaign. I've taken the material that John Arendt published online (on his Dreams in the Lich House blog) and adapted it to a pseudo-Hyperborean setting. It's actually a sequel/prologue to my Astonishing ACKS campaign (which was set in Hyperborea proper).

I'm treating the Black City / Khromarium as an "eternal city". Versions of it exist in multiple worlds across many planes of existence. It can be found in different times and inhabited by different beings. The "Black City" is different from the Khromarium of AS&SH, but shares the same "Old Earth" history - at least up to a point.

One of the PCs is actually from Hyperborea proper - he was lost in space & time due to a "natural 1" when dealing with temporal & dimensional distortion technology.

6/12/2018 9:01 am  #10

Oh, I need to check this out!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.