!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2018 12:07 pm  #1

Blackpool and Surrounding Environs

An early attempt at digital "hand drawn" cartography for me.  I used CC3+ to generate the hex grid but everything else was done in Photoshop, by hand, using a drawing tablet.  The map is still a bit "bright," and I may tone it down a bit with addition layers of digital paint.  It's thinly detailed, but I've included a few things I know, or think I know.  As the campaign progresses, I'll be able to edit in more landmarks.  This is a part of the small peninsula that juts off the main continent, a bit South of Gal.

3/12/2018 3:02 pm  #2

Re: Blackpool and Surrounding Environs

I think the color and brightness is fine!  Nice!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/13/2018 2:04 am  #3

mabon5127 wrote:

I think the color and brightness is fine!  Nice!

Thanks!

3/13/2018 3:53 am  #4

Looks good to me. Obviously, it _could_ be more artsy, but that would probably take away from its sheer utility. And I almost always vote for utility.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (3/13/2018 3:55 am)

3/13/2018 10:01 am  #5

Looks good to me, know what you mean by a bit bright, slightly tone downwards might help?

Where exactly did you put this land?

I use Flickr myself, how did you link the picture Tortuga? been trying to work that problem for last month or so...

3/13/2018 10:58 am  #6

Caveman wrote:

Looks good to me, know what you mean by a bit bright, slightly tone downwards might help?

I use Flickr myself, how did you link the picture Tortuga? been trying to work that problem for last month or so...

Thanks, Caveman.  It's the upper portion of the peninsula jutting out from the mainland southward from the Gal Hills region, right across the mountains from the city of Gal itself.  On the main map, it is undeveloped- with only the forest shown.  The towns are my own homebrew, as are the names of the adjoining bays.  At this point it's sparsely detailed, as my immediate goal is to set up a small sandbox with just a few hooks to get a game going.  I'll be able to edit in more detail as the campaign progresses- if the characters stick around the region for any length of time.  My general concept of the peninsula at the moment:  Very sparse human population with just a few mostly Keltic towns / villages.  There are Viking settlements (outliers from New Vinland) on the peninsula's lower end- Thorp-thull is visible, and there may be one or two more off the Western edge of the map.  And of course there are monsters, and ruins (Roman, most likely).

As for linking a Flickr photo:  On the photo's page, click the share button.  Click on the "BBCode" tab.  From the drop down menu, choose an image size to share.  I usually just pick one of the "medium" options.  Copy the text that appears in the box.  This text can be pasted directly into a forum post here.  That's it.  No need to use the image button or use any other code.  It's not necessary, but you can delete the second link in the copied text.  If you leave it, it'll add a line of text under the photo:  "Photo by Caveman on Flickr... blah blah blah."  The method works well in a photo sharing forum I use, and I wasn't sure it would work here.  But, alas, it does!

Last edited by BinaryTortuga (3/13/2018 11:59 am)

3/14/2018 8:15 am  #7

BinaryTortuga wrote:

Caveman wrote:

Thanks, Caveman.  It's the upper portion of the peninsula jutting out from the mainland southward from the Gal Hills region, right across the mountains from the city of Gal itself.  On the main map, it is undeveloped- with only the forest shown.  The towns are my own homebrew, as are the names of the adjoining bays.  At this point it's sparsely detailed, as my immediate goal is to set up a small sandbox with just a few hooks to get a game going.  I'll be able to edit in more detail as the campaign progresses- if the characters stick around the region for any length of time.  My general concept of the peninsula at the moment:  Very sparse human population with just a few mostly Keltic towns / villages.  There are Viking settlements (outliers from New Vinland) on the peninsula's lower end- Thorp-thull is visible, and there may be one or two more off the Western edge of the map.  And of course there are monsters, and ruins (Roman, most likely).

As for linking a Flickr photo:  On the photo's page, click the share button.  Click on the "BBCode" tab.  From the drop down menu, choose an image size to share.  I usually just pick one of the "medium" options.  Copy the text that appears in the box.  This text can be pasted directly into a forum post here.  That's it.  No need to use the image button or use any other code.  It's not necessary, but you can delete the second link in the copied text.  If you leave it, it'll add a line of text under the photo:  "Photo by Caveman on Flickr... blah blah blah."  The method works well in a photo sharing forum I use, and I wasn't sure it would work here.  But, alas, it does!

Good to know, had read another of your post of location, but could not find it again.
You could call one of the Costal Cities: Tortuga?

Cheers Man, you have save the day, I got my own forum (link below) and the folks that owned it, upgrade my site for free, it works faster now, but I could link pictures from old site from my computer, now it just adds a BBcode link, no picture? Was going to contact folks in chat forums then Flickr, but you have saved me the time. Just tested it and it works perfectly on my site.

Cheers again!

3/14/2018 8:41 am  #8

I love this! Great job. Keep expanding and reimagining Hyprborea to meet your own tastes and your own aesthetics. That is how is should be: Make it your own! 

Cheers,
Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/15/2018 1:36 am  #9

Caveman wrote:

...Cheers again!

Glad I could help.  And thanks for pointing out the link to the forum.  It looks like there's some good stuff to dig through... Cheers!

3/15/2018 1:38 am  #10

Ghul wrote:

I love this! Great job. Keep expanding and reimagining Hyprborea to meet your own tastes and your own aesthetics. That is how is should be: Make it your own! 

Cheers,
Jeff T.

Thanks, Ghul!  

3/15/2018 7:46 am  #11

BinaryTortuga wrote:

Caveman wrote:

...Cheers again!

Glad I could help.  And thanks for pointing out the link to the forum.  It looks like there's some good stuff to dig through... Cheers!

Indeed Tortuga

Thanks again!

3/15/2018 11:22 am  #12

Yes, Looks good ZeroOrOneTurtle

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

3/17/2018 11:08 am  #13

BlackKnight wrote:

Yes, Looks good ZeroOrOneTurtle

Thanks, BlackKnight!

7/22/2018 6:53 pm  #14

Any more progress on Blackpool?

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.