!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2017 7:10 am  #101

Re: Inspiring Metal Music

Haven't heard from these guys in a minute...

Never followed SAMAEL much back in the day. But I'm really digging this material. I've pre-ordered my copy from Napalm Records. \m/ 

"We're always creating rules in the tacit pursuit of verisimilitude. This is a valid and noble pursuit.
But for some of us, that's a false idol. We harken to a different song." - Frank Mentzer, 2017

8/19/2017 7:16 am  #102

Ghul wrote:

Inspiring my continued effort on the layout of Second Edition AS&SH:

Pretty good band. I think i had No Place for Disgrace.

9/04/2017 7:28 pm  #103

My friends in ARGUS (Pittsburgh, PA) will be releasing their fourth full-length in just a few days. Please take a moment to check it out here for free streaming and then -if you like what you hear- consider visiting their Bandcamp page to order 'From Fields of Fire'. My pre-ordered copy is being shipped to me as I write this. \m/

P.S.: I'm confident you're going to like what you hear. 

"We're always creating rules in the tacit pursuit of verisimilitude. This is a valid and noble pursuit.
But for some of us, that's a false idol. We harken to a different song." - Frank Mentzer, 2017

9/06/2017 6:54 am  #104

Not sure what the feeling on Prog-metal is here but I just saw Haken in DC this past Sunday night (9/3). I've become a bit of a fan-boi for this band. Imagine Yes but considerably heavier, with influences from Dream Theater, Rush and other prog-rock bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJUDk6a4GsI&t=512s

12/16/2017 1:42 pm  #105

Count me among those blasphemers who prefers Dio Sabbath over Ozzy Sabbath. This reunion concert in 2007 was amazing. It's when they were forced to use the band name Heaven and Hell; also, they only played Dio-era songs, which was fantastic, IMO:

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/18/2017 6:51 am  #106

Ghul wrote:

Count me among those blasphemers who prefers Dio Sabbath over Ozzy Sabbath... 

I, too, am a card-carrying member of the Dio/Sabbath cult. The first song I ever remember hearing (really listening to) of Sabbath's was Mob Rules on the HEAVY METAL Motion Picture Soundtrack. So as far as I was concerned, that was the Sabbath sound. This was around the time I was getting into heavy metal (82/83 time frame), so as I was learning about performers and bands, I had two Ozzy Osbourne solo albums before learning that he was the original lead singer of Sabbath. So when I went back and listened to more of the earlier Sabbath... "pass". hah hah hah. 

So besides Dio's time in Sabbath, the only albums I have ever owned by the band also included the Tony Martin era. That was close enough to Dio for me. \m/

12/20/2017 10:54 pm  #107

MANOWAR

I love power metal. I love music that is all about swords, sorcery, and sticking swords in sorcerers.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (12/20/2017 10:56 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

12/20/2017 10:59 pm  #108

A module idea.

You're welcome.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

1/23/2018 12:39 pm  #109

More Prog-metal goodness: Sons of Apollo
Vocals: Jeff Scott Soto (previously with Yngwei Malmsteen's Rising Force, among others)
Guitar: Ron Thal (GnR for a while)
Bass: Billy Sheehan (David Lee Roth Band, Mr. Big, Steve Vai)
Keyboards: Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater)
Drums: Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7hYazcfOw&list=RDtG7hYazcfOw

1/23/2018 1:21 pm  #110

Jimm -- That was pretty darn amusing.
Druvas -- I dig it. Didn't know Billy Sheehan did DT-style progressive music, but he sounds great! Great to see Jeff Scott Soto, too, because I thought he was great with Malmsteen. 

1/23/2018 1:50 pm  #111

Ghul wrote:

Jimm -- That was pretty darn amusing.
Druvas -- I dig it. Didn't know Billy Sheehan did DT-style progressive music, but he sounds great! Great to see Jeff Scott Soto, too, because I thought he was great with Malmsteen. 

I didn't either until he teamed up with Mike Portnoy in another band called The Winery Dogs. They're not as hard as Sons of Apollo but still quite Proggy and good. And I agree about Soto, he's got a good hard rock/ metal voice. Anywho, here's a Winery Dogs sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMBix9Zq5o&list=PLLPIalfi3B1I_wPpTBbHr-WTZBfk36hGS

Last edited by Druvas (1/23/2018 1:50 pm)

1/29/2018 6:34 pm  #112

2/10/2018 9:47 am  #113

Stream/download the year's most triumphant true heavy metal record now! But don't just take my word for it...

"Conqueror’s Oath features eight slabs of pure heavy metal joy" - Metal Hammer Magazine

"I rarely have goosebumps these days when listening to music, but this album flooded me with those; so believe me, brother, when I say: this album is the definition of what Metal stands for, means and is." - MetalWani.com

http://smarturl.it/visigoth-oath

Also, a great article here on the new wave of traditional [American] heavy metal. \m/

Last edited by blackmote (2/10/2018 9:48 am)

2/10/2018 11:00 am  #114

blackmote wrote:

Stream/download the year's most triumphant true heavy metal record now! But don't just take my word for it...

"Conqueror’s Oath features eight slabs of pure heavy metal joy" - Metal Hammer Magazine

"I rarely have goosebumps these days when listening to music, but this album flooded me with those; so believe me, brother, when I say: this album is the definition of what Metal stands for, means and is." - MetalWani.com

http://smarturl.it/visigoth-oath

Also, a great article here on the new wave of traditional [American] heavy metal. \m/

Holy smokes, this is an epic band. Love it. Thank you for sharing! I'm buying it.

2/13/2018 7:27 am  #115

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

MANOWAR

I love power metal. I love music that is all about swords, sorcery, and sticking swords in sorcerers.

A second for Man O' War, Especially the Kings of Metal album...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/15/2018 12:43 am  #116

Omen's album Battle Cry is the most medieval album I've ever heard.
Battle Cry- 
https://youtu.be/CwI7YGjSTF8

Be my Wench-
https://youtu.be/BhAoSY5toRg

Beyond that album, early Slayer, Kreator, and Celtic Frost are some go to inspirational listening for me.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

2/23/2018 7:06 pm  #117

another band I have rediscovered since the holidays this year is HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE, heavy prog metal  from California. If you enjoy the atmosphere of Pink Floyd's earlier years, the tapestries of 70's Deep Purple, riding on the gallop of middle years Iron Maiden, this is your new favorite band. 

Check out their back catalog at the above linked bandcamp page as well. But start with their oldest and work your way to the present. Enjoy! \m/ 

2/27/2018 7:38 am  #118

Man, blackmote, that's got some real fucking cow bell in it. I dig it.

2/27/2018 7:16 pm  #119

Druvas wrote:

Man, blackmote, that's got some real fucking cow bell in it. I dig it.

Cowbell, Hammond Organ, searing leads, galloping rhythms, solid soulful vocals, Hammers of Misfortune has it all! \m/

hah hah, I'm glad you like it! Another hobby of mine is metal music promotions. So I reckon I'm doing ok.  

3/04/2018 12:39 pm  #120

I was listening to these two bands while reading my new AS&SH hardback.   I could've sworn it was 1982 and I was in my old bedroom reading my newly purchased Dungeon Masters Guide.

Blue Snaggletooth

Prophets of Saturn

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places." H.P. Lovecraft, The Picture in the House

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.