!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2018 11:50 am  #1

Minimum Number of Crewmen

Alright, it's technically not a question about the rules. Anyhow, what is the minimum number of crewmen a small viking longship requires to remain operable? What about the other types of vessels? I wanna run a short campaign where the players are in control of such a vessel with an adequate crew to start with, but I suspect their numbers would soon start fluctuating.

EDIT: Grammar.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (2/21/2018 1:59 pm)

2/21/2018 2:42 pm  #2

Re: Minimum Number of Crewmen

Typical longships have from 14 to 34 rowing benches depending on the length of the ship. A typically a "bench" is actually a chest that held the rower's personal items etc,.Also along with the Rowers, there is a Styrismadr (Steersman/helmsman), and potentially a navagator added into the total. Remember also, any/all of the crew would be also "henchmen" (0-level characters) that could be potentially used in combat.or if hirelings could be even higher levels.

So "minimum" would be 14+helmsman. (7 per side)
Bob

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/21/2018 2:44 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/22/2018 12:26 pm  #3

Thanks!

2/22/2018 12:38 pm  #4

NP, Norse is my thing, just ask Ghul...

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/22/2018 12:53 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

2/22/2018 3:25 pm  #5

So would a ship crewed by 14 still be sea worthy or is this a ship that would be for more running rivers? I was curious on the original question as well, thank you.

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

2/22/2018 3:52 pm  #6

In theory, you could probably operate with even a few less, the 14 are oarsmen mostly. Under sail maybe as few as 7 in a smaller ship, but little/no rowing, and under sail it’s a difficult ship to handle in cramped quarters (river or tight fiords).

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.