!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2018 3:14 pm  #1

Miniatures for Hyperborea

I like miniatures and own far more than I will ever paint because apparently I hate money. At any rate, I started this thread for my fellow Hyperboreans to discuss and share information for rounding out their weird fantasy miniature collection.  

Here's what I'm looking for: Hyperboreans, Esquimaux, Deep Ones, Man Apes, Vhoormi, Crab Men, Great Race, Elder Things, and Mi-Go. 

I'll usually check Reaper's Bones collection first, it's an inexpensive source for common monsters like zombies, skeletons and dungeon vermin. The quality is so-so and I dislike painting them but they are cheap and the selection is large.  

Wizkids has a couple good lines of quality inexpensive miniatures, Deep Cuts  and Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures. The minis are as cheap or cheaper than Reaper Bones and of higher quality. They also come pre-primed. At the time of writing the only drawback is the limited monster range relative to Reaper Bones. I hope they focus more on monsters and less on player character models in the future. 

Wargames Foundry.  A UK company. They're cheap, have a wide range of historical miniatures, and carry Perry brothers sculpts for those of us who like the chunky old school Citadel minis. Their Viking sculpts make for inexpensive Vikings and Berserkers (I already own a bunch).  Their historical Celts, Picts, and Native American models should work for Hyperborea but I have not purchased any yet. 

Otherworld Miniatures. Another UK company. Fans of the 1e DMG and Monster Manual will recognize the sculpts. They also have pig faced orcs. Otherworld is pricier than I like but the sculpts are gorgeous and they have ones I can't find elsewhere. 

Hasslefree Miniatures. Also in the UK. This barbarian is one of the favorites in my collection (Kimmeri-Kelt, anyone?) and this guy looks like the quintessential Hyperborean warlock. I will warn you that like many of these small miniature outfits, delivery on my order took a while but in the end I was happy with the product. 

Dark Sword Miniatures. US based outfit. This is where I shop to get my gf miniatures for her characters. They have some nice female sculpts, like this chick who resembles the archetypal Hyperborean witch-queen in my mind's eye. Despite being a small outfit my order was filled and delivered quickly. 

2/06/2018 4:21 pm  #2

Re: Miniatures for Hyperborea

The obvious source for Lovecraftian monsters would be the CoC miniature lines (one by Mirliton, and one by RAFM). A company called Black Cat Bases also makes several of them:

http://blackcatbases.com/product-category/figures/figures-cthulhu-mythos-monsters/

Pathfinder Miniatures also has several prepainted plastic Lovecraftian monsters. I know they have Great Race, Elder Things, and Mi-go (although I think the mi-go is pretty poor).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/06/2018 4:31 pm  #3

Armorcast has a crab man miniature:

http://www.armorcast.com/miniatures/lance-laser/fantasy-monsters/giant-crabman

They also have some (IMO) appropriate figures in the "Ancient Fantasy" (used to be RuneQuest) range.

Iron Wind Metals has a lot of old Ral Partha figures that were clearly inspired by Conan and Red Sonja.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/06/2018 5:01 pm  #4

Thanks a bunch BA23. I'm interested in any sites you recommend and will enjoy looking over the ones you suggested. Hyperboreans are difficult. I've found a total of 3 minis that work for me.

2/06/2018 7:12 pm  #5

Brock the couple you have shown are great!  The mini's from the Conan board game are a good source of barbarian types particularly picts. I have a hard time finding esquimaux, and primitive types like apemen and cavemen.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/06/2018 7:33 pm  #6

A nice cheap 12-pack of "wild men" here:

http://www.turnkeyminiatures.com/Set-of-Wildmen-x12-_p_211.html

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/06/2018 7:39 pm  #7

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/06/2018 8:38 pm  #8

Weird I can't reply to or quote posts. Just wanted to thank BA23 for the vhoormi & Esquimaux and say that the Conan boardgame mabon recommended has some gorgeous minis. 

2/07/2018 1:26 am  #9

Reaper just released Bones versions of Mi-Go and Deep Ones yesterday.

2/07/2018 1:19 pm  #10

k2h2m3 wrote:

Reaper just released Bones versions of Mi-Go and Deep Ones yesterday.

Awesome. I just pre-ordered Reaper Bones Mythos models along with the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion for Eldritch Horror.

2/07/2018 1:22 pm  #11

Both of those sites look great!  Thanks!  I use some paper standups for my cavemen but the Inuit will be used for PC's in a con game.  Obviously my google fu is lacking...

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

2/07/2018 1:38 pm  #12

mabon5127 wrote:

I use some paper standups for my cavemen but the Inuit will be used for PC's in a con game.  Obviously my google fu is lacking...

Yea I like those Inuit. I used paper minis for years, the players seemed to like it. My Google-Fu clearly sucks when it comes to miniatures.

That reminds me I need cavemen and dinosaurs as well.

2/07/2018 6:41 pm  #13

Glad to help.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/07/2018 11:13 pm  #14

For your cheap mini needs i humbly recommend TOOBS bt Safari Lmt. These kinds of plastic mini toys were good enough for granddad (Gygax, whose own collection inspired some classic weird monsters) so they're good enough for our favorite emulator. They used to have a caveman one, should have snagged it from work when I had a chance.

https://www.safariltd.com/toobs/#isAjax=1

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/08/2018 9:43 am  #15

A trip for searching for miniatures is to do a Google image search for "28mm (whatever)". If you don't find anything, you can try "25mm (whatever)".

The image search is faster because it lets you see what's available without clicking a bunch of blind links. For example, doing an image search for "28mm cavemen" shows a number of lines available in a wide variety of styles.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (2/08/2018 9:52 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/08/2018 9:51 am  #16

If you want vhuurmis that look distinctly different from ape-men or cave-men, something like CoC sand dwellers might work:

http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=sand-dwellers&cName=nightmares-28mm

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/08/2018 1:50 pm  #17

Steve Barber makes a winged gorgon, which is not an easy miniature to find:

http://www.stevebarbermodels.com/28mm-greek-mythology/62-28mmmedusa.html

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/21/2018 2:30 am  #18

The Reaper link and the "28 mm x" google search trick have really helped me out a bit. Anyone know of a good mini for a purloiner (ie, a thief dabbling in esotericism)? I'm particularly referring to the illustration of the purloiner on page 96 in the tome.

5/21/2018 11:40 pm  #19

One of my players want to be a cryomancer with a war pick. I cannot find a decent mini to save my life. Any ideas?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.