!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2018 1:20 pm  #1

Looking for a Name

My Son-in-Law to be to try a new class and so chose a Warlock that casts Druidic spells.  So there is Fire-Lord, Ice-Lord, Death-Lord and now.....Nature Lord?

Not sure I like the name so I was asking for input. We already thought of 
Druid-Lord
Wilderness-Lord
Arboreal-Lord
Forest-Lord
Green-Lord

Help!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

1/24/2018 1:54 pm  #2

Re: Looking for a Name

Lord of the Wild.
or Wild Lord.

Otherwise I like Forest Lord the best. Druid Lord would probably upset some Druids.

Last edited by Grimmshade (1/24/2018 2:51 pm)

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

1/24/2018 3:36 pm  #3

Beast-Lord

1/24/2018 7:43 pm  #4

How about “Ranger”? 

1/24/2018 8:05 pm  #5

DMPrata wrote:

How about “Ranger”? 

Smarty pants.   Though I think he (the player) would like to be able to cast magic sooner.  Waiting for 7th level would mean 3 years real time wait.

While in my soul forever

2/01/2018 7:58 am  #6

I like GreenLord, (makes me thing of greenmen) or perhaps Tiaga-Lord... though Wild Lord has its place too... 

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

2/01/2018 9:44 am  #7

Forest Sovereign

2/01/2018 1:14 pm  #8

The official druid description offers several sources of druidic power (see bold, below), so I think there’s significant latitude here for your son-in-law to choose whatever sounds cool to him based on how he sees his warlock (and without constraining future players of such a combination to the same title). For example, I think Ancestral Lord, Spirit Lord, Elemental Lord, Sun Lord, Moon Lord or even Lord of the Balance could all easily work depending on the situation.

Personally, I would probably shy away from a single, all-defining title for every case of a warlock-druid, especially anything that would suggest something like a “protector of the forest,” as that seems way too narrow and modern for AS&SH. For example, I remember reading Julius Caesar’s description of people he called druids in De Bello Gallico, the earliest known reference to druids in like 55 BC - they were burning people alive in wicker simulacra, not protecting the forests and its animals, lol! Anyway, just my two cents. YMMV. 

Druids are the spiritual and ofttimes temporal leaders of tribes and communities, both settled and nomadic, of typically Keltic ancestry. They are sorcerous priests who obtain their abilities from ancestral and animistic spirits; too, druids harness elemental powers that they employ to macabre effect in their rituals. Druids also draw strength from the sun, the moons, the stars, Saturn, and Saturn’s moons; some are said to derive their sorcerous gifts from Neutrality itself.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/02/2018 6:55 am  #9

Wow!! Lots of good choices here!  I will present all of these to the young man and let him make a choice.

Thanks!

While in my soul forever

2/02/2018 7:31 am  #10

mabon5127 wrote:

Wow!! Lots of good choices here!  I will present all of these to the young man and let him make a choice.

Sure. I mean, look, if he wants Nature Boy or Furry Lord Protector of Nuts, Berries and Woodland Critters, it’s your game - do what you will, lol! 

2/02/2018 11:19 am  #11

Chainsaw wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Sure. I mean, look, if he wants Nature Boy or Furry Lord Protector of Nuts, Berries and Woodland Critters, it’s your game - do what you will, lol! 

It's choices like these that separate sons-in-law to be from non-starters.

While in my soul forever

2/02/2018 12:14 pm  #12

Chainsaw wrote:

Sure. I mean, look, if he wants Nature Boy, it’s your game - do what you will, lol!

If he wants Nature Boy, then you need to make him bust a Rick Flair "Wooooooo!" at least once a session.

2/02/2018 12:37 pm  #13

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Sure. I mean, look, if he wants Nature Boy, it’s your game - do what you will, lol!

If he wants Nature Boy, then you need to make him bust a Rick Flair "Wooooooo!" at least once a session.

True! We will permit Nature Boy on that condition!

2/02/2018 2:06 pm  #14

It might as well be anything or nothing. Class names shouldn't exist "in-universe" anyway and the characters are not actually speaking English.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

2/02/2018 4:32 pm  #15

Chainsaw wrote:

That's it, I'm starting a new Foolsgrave character, class of Nature Boy, with "Woooo!" as his battle cry.

2/02/2018 4:41 pm  #16

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

That's it, I'm starting a new Foolsgrave character, class of Nature Boy, with "Woooo!" as his battle cry.

That's the spirit! Its Rolex watch time!

While in my soul forever

2/02/2018 7:02 pm  #17

mabon5127 wrote:

He'll a the stylin', profilin', carriage ridin', magic carpet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', son of an alien lazer gun!

Wooo!

2/02/2018 10:59 pm  #18

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

He'll a the stylin', profilin', carriage ridin', magic carpet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', son of an alien lazer gun!

Wooo!

Nice!

While in my soul forever

2/25/2018 2:43 am  #19

Earthmaster

A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your 

2/26/2018 7:57 am  #20

If playing a Norse character, "Myrkviðr Jarl", or Darkwood Chieftan

Last edited by BlackKnight (2/26/2018 7:58 am)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.