!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2018 8:06 pm  #1

Gizmo's Bindery

Taking the magnificent tome and printing out its constituent parts. So I can be more fearless about using them at my table

Last edited by gizmomathboy (1/30/2018 8:08 pm)

What? Me worry?

1/30/2018 8:40 pm  #2

Re: Gizmo's Bindery

That's a good idea and looks fantastic, I always cringe when players carelessly manhandle a $60 rulebook. 

1/31/2018 7:29 am  #3

Very nice: so you did those yourself? Care to divulge your secrets? 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/31/2018 8:33 am  #4

Good work, that an extreme effort!

1/31/2018 10:28 am  #5

I've been doing perfect binding and some saddle stitch (staples) for some time now. However, this site isn't too bad for pointers:

http://www.diybookbinding.com/do-it-yourself-book-binding/

I made an ok version of his jig

http://www.diybookbinding.com/diy-bookbinding-jig/

I'll break up the pictures of the binding I did after breakfast today but before I took my kid to school and myself to work over many posts.

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:32 am  #6

My version of the jig as well as a view of the block as it's called (the stack of paper to be bound). The block has already been glued, but once you put the block in the jig you glue it up and let it cure.

If you're careful you won't need to put something like wax paper on the parts of the jig that might bet glued to the block. It doesn't hurt to do that while you're still getting leveled up in "not making a gluey mess" phase of learning :-)

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:33 am  #7

You know, this is a great reminder to print out a bunch of these for Gary Con!

1/31/2018 10:34 am  #8

Ok, I don't think this is really necessary but I lay down another thin layer of glue and attach a bit of cloth to the spine. I think it makes the cover slide easier than on bare glue. I don't usually glue the spine of the cover to the spine of the block. I think it helps it lay flatter.

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:35 am  #9

Another view of the cloth glued to the spine. This one has the glue still wet. I don't want so much that it will soak through the cloth. 

Last edited by gizmomathboy (1/31/2018 10:35 am)

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:41 am  #10

You can use a variety of stuff for the covers. I typically use cheap poster board. Just thick enough to take a better beating than paper. This stuff doesn't have a glossy side but I do have some other sheets that have a glossy side and are a tad bit heavier weight.

This piece is 22"x28" so I should be able to get 2 covers out of it.

Here I'm just marking 11" wide by about 18" long. The block size precludes being able to use 11x17 cardstock since the spine isn't zero width :-)

I'll then use a linocutter some floor installers left this weekend. Fucker is wicked sharp and cuts into the 1/8" hardboard I'm using not to cut up the kitchen table. Box cutters, rotary cutters, etc. anything that is sharp will work. Cutting with scissors doesn't leave a nice enough edge I think.  :-)

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:43 am  #11

Once I cut out my cover. I'll put the block on it and mark a fold. I recently bought a bone knife (I think they are also called folding knives), however I used the back of dinner knife forever. You just want a blunt edge to put in a bit of a groove that makes folds cleaner.
I'll then use a spray adhesive (either on the block itself or the cover) to attach the block to the cover.

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:49 am  #12

Once I rub the cover to the block to get a good grip I'll then mark in another fold for the spine and other side. Then spray on some adhesive, fold over, and rub the cover to the paper.

I'll look to trim any bits that aren't flush with the block or make things not look neat to me. Usually it's bits of the cloth sticking up from the spine or the cover that I didn't align right and always the bit of cover that is wider than the block itself since I would rather trim off a bit than be short.

Looks like I got a bit ahead of myself here. This pic is the folded cover prior to gluing the first cover side.

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:50 am  #13

Here is the block with both sides glued to it. You can see the inch or so of extra cover I need to trim.

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:52 am  #14

And cover all trimmed up and opened to a nice bit of art. Ghul has a great bunch of artists in this book.

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:55 am  #15

Here are the tools and such I used.

Left to right:
 * Bone/folding knife, you can use any blunt thing to make clean folds
 * Scissors. These Scotch Titanium ones are every bit as good as the really nice Fiskars
 * Acid free glue. Lots of glue options but I like tacky glue and use acid free because some times I feel really picky. Not that these books will last that long
 * Spray adhesive. This was what I could find (can't recall if I got it online or at a store).

=13px

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 10:58 am  #16

I still have to print and glue on the covers for everything but Volume 1. I'll try to get a picture of that soon.

This is a process that I have to take my time and slow down and think about WTF I'm doing. One mistake and you will probably have to start over. I find it fun but I also haven't gotten obsessed enough to stitch bind a book...yet. 

What? Me worry?

1/31/2018 6:49 pm  #17

That is simply splendid: thanks for the tutorial!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/31/2018 7:07 pm  #18

Nice!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/01/2018 10:02 am  #19

I am exhausted just watching you work!

2/01/2018 7:33 pm  #20

Here's the 4 volumes I've completed so far. You can see the linoleum cutter on the right hand side.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.