!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2018 2:18 pm  #1

Ran my first ASSH game last night... Question about Phased Combat

I really like Phased combat. I used it in my last campaign but a little differently than ASSH does it. Basically, I resolved all missile, movement, melee, magic as separate phases with each side going once for each of those phases. 

ASSH is different though and I intended to use it, but as combat unfolded, I really found the phases to be overwhelming. Especially, because I was running 8th-9th level characters with multiple attacks and so forth. I even had the cheat sheets printed out, but the handling time was still too much. 

After the first round, I basically threw my hands up and just did a single phase, adjudicating some people going later in the round than others based on their distance and choice of action. 

I guess my question is: who is running combat strictly by the book? And, what are some techniques / tips to help me get more acquainted with the phased style of combat ASSH uses? 

1/29/2018 4:14 pm  #2

Re: Ran my first ASSH game last night... Question about Phased Combat

If you take a look at Tables 90, 91, and 92, you will see the comprehensive combat sequences for melee, missiles, and magic. It may look like a lot to take in at first, but if you look at just phase 2 of each combat variety, you will see that it usually comes into play only when the PC (or perhaps your monster / NPC) wishes to move a good deal before or after engaging. Most of the time, players are not going to want to go at the end of the round, so they will elect to take actions that they will complete in phase 1, but exceptions can occur! For example, a magician might want to move 15 feet diagonal to her left before unleashing that AoE spell, such as fireball. Or, a fighter might want more than a half move (15 feet) in his scale armour before attacking. He might want to move his full 30 feet, then attack, which puts him at phase 2. (Of course, said fighter can opt to bridge the 30 feet in phase 1, should he elect to make a charge attack.) 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/29/2018 7:47 pm  #3

http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=2321#p2321

Maezer's sheet posted here not only helped me and my group "get it" but it made us anxious to try it.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

1/30/2018 2:17 am  #4

My group and I were also overwhelmed by it at first. I pulled out a dry erase board and charted the two phases for everyone involved with it for a couple of combats. That really helped things come together in our heads and we realized it's as easy as Ghul described it above.
Now it's easy, and feels much more realistic than non-phased rounds.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

1/30/2018 12:10 pm  #5

Thanks everyone! This is helpful! 

1/30/2018 12:20 pm  #6

I find that after a while you rarely have to think about it. If the player wants to move, it's fairly likely any other action will come on phase 2, so that's a good time to think about it. For characters with multiple attacks, I think it's up to the player to tell you how s/he wants to divide them among the phases; otherwise, just assume it's all phase 1.

1/30/2018 2:34 pm  #7

Handy Haversack wrote:

I find that after a while you rarely have to think about it. If the player wants to move, it's fairly likely any other action will come on phase 2, so that's a good time to think about it. For characters with multiple attacks, I think it's up to the player to tell you how s/he wants to divide them among the phases; otherwise, just assume it's all phase 1.

That may have been another issue was that we were running characters with attacks like 2/1, 5/2, 3/2 etc. and keeping that organized on top of the phases seemed daunting. 

I'll try and run with Phases next time. 

2/12/2018 2:59 pm  #8

Michael Pfaff wrote:

After the first round, I basically threw my hands up and just did a single phase, adjudicating some people going later in the round than others based on their distance and choice of action. 

I think this is legit as well.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/23/2018 9:17 pm  #9

I was having issues wrapping my head around phased combat too. This thread helped. Thx

9/23/2018 10:23 pm  #10

All is revealed on Maezar's Sheet.

9/24/2018 9:41 am  #11

Fellows, Maezar's sheet is excellent, but I do recall that it has one or two errors (or maybe not errors for Maezar, but merely how he runs combat in his games). There is nothing wrong with using Maezar's interpretation, which is about 95% "by the book", but if you do want the official presentation, please see tables 90, 91, and 92

9/24/2018 9:49 am  #12

Ghul wrote:

Fellows, Maezar's sheet is excellent, but I do recall that it has one or two errors (or maybe not errors for Maezar, but merely how he runs combat in his games). There is nothing wrong with using Maezar's interpretation, which is about 95% "by the book", but if you do want the official presentation, please see tables 90, 91, and 92

From going over the tables, cheat sheets, thread, and playing, it is clear to me now.
9 times out of 10 phase 2 will not be used except with movement or hold actions.

9/24/2018 4:56 pm  #13

achiriaco wrote:

9 times out of 10 phase 2 will not be used

That's how its played out for us, save the first round or two when melee guys are trying to close on missile guys.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

9/30/2018 4:55 am  #14

Ghul wrote:

Fellows, Maezar's sheet is excellent, but I do recall that it has one or two errors (or maybe not errors for Maezar, but merely how he runs combat in his games)

I find this visual interpretation nicely intuitive. I wonder if a visual chart like this may be handy for the Hyperborea Resources page...

8/30/2019 6:16 pm  #15

The chart that was posted helps a lot but is there an example of combat somewhere? I feel like I need to see it played out to really get it. The phased combat round is interesting but it’s not quite clicking yet.

9/01/2019 6:59 pm  #16

The easiest, simplest way to grasp phased combat is this: Most everything happens on phase one, unless the PCs or monsters are trying to do something extra that is going to force them to act at the end of the round (phase 2).

This could mean moving ½ and then casting a spell. Normally a spell fires on phase 1, unless the spell caster wants to move.

Another example is taking a full movement before melee attacking (½ move on phase 1, ½ move and attack on phase 2). Because in a normal phase 1 situation, it's just move ½ and attack, but if your fighter has a MV 30 and his opponent is 25 feet away, he is going to go at the end of the round. For many more examples, see tables 90, 91, and 92.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.