!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2017 9:51 am  #1

The Midderlands

Many of you know Glynn Seal of MonkeyBlood Design from his great work on the new AS&SH 2E map. A few months ago he ran a Kickstarter for an England-inspired setting and bestiary called The Midderlands. He says, "It is a green-hued, dark-fantasy, late-middle ages, early-renaissance view through grime-smeared spectacles. The setting itself is based on an area in the middle of England near where I live called The Midlands. Many of the locations are loosely based on reality, but others are pure fantasy from an addled mind." It's statted for Swords & Wizardry Complete, which anyone of us can convert to AS&SH, O/AD&D (or anything else) with our eyes closed.

I pledged and received everything a few days ago - wow! Glynn and his team did a fantastic job on this one. Gorgeous book! At first glance, I see lots of things I could easily transfer to AS&SH - creepy towns and twisted creatures. Now I only need to find time to read it! 

Color map

Color map zoom

Parchment map (flip side of color map)

Parchment map zoomed

Interior pics

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/23/2017 11:56 am  #2

Re: The Midderlands

Glynn and his team did an amazing job. I haven't had the time to read it yet, but I've browsed through it and read a number of selections -- it's very nicely done, presenting a strange blend of weirdness that caught me by surprise! I enjoy it a lot so far.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/23/2017 8:59 pm  #3

The cover had me. This looks awesome. I might try and get a copy. 

12/23/2017 9:13 pm  #4

Thanks for the endorsement Chainsaw, I'll take a look over the holidays. 

12/24/2017 8:26 am  #5

Sure! If you’re like me, you already have more than you’ll ever run, but you’re still buying the good stuff, hoping you’ll find some time someday. 

P.S. The leather slipcover version with eyes was a KS exclusive, if I’m not mistaken.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/27/2018 12:13 pm  #6

Just backed the expansion KS. Going to grab the leather slipcovers too!

1/27/2018 12:26 pm  #7

I backed it, too! Very excited to see what Glynn and team come up with next!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/27/2018 12:56 pm  #8

The whole reason why I knew of Glynn's new project was because you backed it. 

1/30/2018 2:43 pm  #9

Chainsaw wrote:

P.S. The leather slipcover version with eyes was a KS exclusive, if I’m not mistaken.

That definitely caught my eye---reminded me of Whelan's cover to the 1980s pb reissues of HPL's stories:  http://www.michaelwhelan.com/shop/lovecrafts-nightmare-set/

Allan.

2/20/2018 2:41 pm  #10

If anyone was thinking about backing this, time's growing short, and it needs a little push. If there's anywhere you can publicize, that would be useful, too!

2/20/2018 6:37 pm  #11

Thanks for the reminder, Handy - I gave the amount of push I could.

Better yet, it alerted me to the wild coincidence that Juan Ochoa (http://www.juanochoa.co) is a contributing artist!  You can see some of his work on The Midderlands in the Kickstarter project updates.  He and I collaborated on a mini-comic a few years back.  Who knew?!

Last edited by Dwindle (2/20/2018 6:38 pm)

2/20/2018 7:21 pm  #12

Thank you for letting me know about this. it looks amazing. 

Has anyone seen one? Has anyone seen one in a hundred years??

3/03/2018 12:12 pm  #13

The PDF of this book is on sale right now on RPGnow. Does it have enough useable things for ASSH if I don't intend to use the setting?
Could you use towns, Monsters, npcs, etc. to drop into other S&S campaigns?

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

3/03/2018 12:14 pm  #14

Grimmshade wrote:

The PDF of this book is on sale right now on RPGnow. Does it have enough useable things for ASSH if I don't intend to use the setting?
Could you use towns, Monsters, npcs, etc. to drop into other S&S campaigns?

That's actually why I backed the expansion KS and will be getting a hardcopy of the campaign from Glen. I'm really excited to take delivery of them in the fall. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.