!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2018 2:12 am  #21

Re: List adventures that would fit the Hyperborea setting

Grimmshade wrote:

Robert E Howard and HP Lovecraft adventuring together as children

It's funny because it's true. 

1/06/2018 9:14 am  #22

It's not yet released to the public, but the final pdf draft of Operation Unfathomable just went out to backers this morning, and I think I found the perfect entry to Underborea.  It is full of strange new monsters, weird, alien, and ancient.  A nice mix of psychic sorcery and technology.  And the map is appropriately chaotic, with a dozen or so exits to other parts of the underworld, so you can just keep adding stuff onto it with ease.

1/06/2018 4:04 pm  #23

Speaking of Underborea: 

Journey to the Center of Aereth: Has a cool Journey to the Center of the Earth feel. Though it makes some assumptions as to the nature of the inner world. The race found ruling the inner Aearth has a very H.P. Lovecraft vibe. Theadventure begins in a snow covered waste so it might fit well on the plain of Leng near the mountains, or better yet, The Ythaqqa Plateau!

Last edited by cudgel (1/06/2018 4:06 pm)

1/06/2018 4:11 pm  #24

For Swords and Sorcery dimension spanning epics with flying boats: 

The Rogue Mistress: This is truly epic adventure from Chaosium. Written for Elric/Stormbringer it would require a lot of work to convert. A better strategy would be to enjoy the read and just use it as an outline for adventures in and beyond Hyperborea. The story is has lots of good ideas that would fit well with the Hyperborean setting, many parts of the adventure take place in other dimensions.  

1/06/2018 4:16 pm  #25

While not adventures the Arduin Grimoire's Volumes 1, 2, and 3 offer some good inspiration for Swords and Sorcery adventures. In my opinion the adventures produced by Dave Hargrave were not very good. The Arduin books were also not that great if you were going to use them as written. With that said, Hargave sprinkled everything he wrote with great swords and sorcery ideas, the books are like  mountain of ideas to be mined!

Last edited by cudgel (1/06/2018 4:17 pm)

1/06/2018 6:04 pm  #26

under_score wrote:

It's not yet released to the public, but the final pdf draft of Operation Unfathomable just went out to backers this morning, and I think I found the perfect entry to Underborea.  It is full of strange new monsters, weird, alien, and ancient.  A nice mix of psychic sorcery and technology.  And the map is appropriately chaotic, with a dozen or so exits to other parts of the underworld, so you can just keep adding stuff onto it with ease.

I have run the original, shorter version several times using AS&SH and changing the location to the Zakath Desert and making Eyraen a crazed former lover of the Witch-Queen of Yithorium. Works great. Run that at three cons and in home games.

With the expanded version, the main work for Hyperborea would be to make the dwarves less human and regulated and figure out a way to make them monsters -- or you could just remove them entirely and probably not lose much.

2/17/2018 3:51 pm  #27

Brock Savage wrote:

...X2 Isle of Dread. Man oh man do I love this adventure, pulp lost world fantasy at its best. You gotta include an airplane graveyard for funsies... 

"Man oh man" is right!  X2 represents my very first roleplaying experience.  I don't want to date myself, but I was about eleven and the year rhymed with "weighty door."  The module has been on my mind since I first cracked open AS&SoH, and it's already been determined that the island must be placed somewhere on the outer rim.

2/18/2018 12:22 am  #28

Guys, Isle of Dread is X1.

Carry on.

2/18/2018 1:08 am  #29

francisca wrote:

Guys, Isle of Dread is X1.

Carry on.

LOL, 10:25pm I might have been drunk posting.

2/18/2018 8:10 am  #30

Handy Haversack wrote:

under_score wrote:

I have run the original, shorter version several times using AS&SH and changing the location to the Zakath Desert and making Eyraen a crazed former lover of the Witch-Queen of Yithorium. Works great. Run that at three cons and in home games.

With the expanded version, the main work for Hyperborea would be to make the dwarves less human and regulated and figure out a way to make them monsters -- or you could just remove them entirely and probably not lose much.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with under_score and Handy. I played in Handy’s OU game at Gary Con a few years ago and, man, what a great time! A few setting-tweaks and it layers in very easily. Deadly as hell, though, so you know, make sure people know what they’re getting into! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/18/2018 4:44 pm  #31

I'm really enjoying what I'm  reading so far in Operation Unfathomable. It's great stuff -- the writing, the editing, the art, the maps, and the layout. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/19/2018 1:06 pm  #32

Chainsaw wrote:

Oh yeah, I totally agree with under_score and Handy. I played in Handy’s OU game at Gary Con a few years ago and, man, what a great time! A few setting-tweaks and it layers in very easily. Deadly as hell, though, so you know, make sure people know what they’re getting into!

Yeah, it's a mofo....I plan on bringing it to Gary Con.

2/19/2018 1:11 pm  #33

Brock Savage wrote:

LOL, 10:25pm I might have been drunk posting.

HAH!

2/19/2018 3:35 pm  #34

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

under_score wrote:

Look, no one *made* you get stepped on by that Lava God!

2/20/2018 12:01 am  #35

Ghul wrote:

I'm really enjoying what I'm  reading so far in Operation Unfathomable. It's great stuff -- the writing, the editing, the art, the maps, and the layout. 

I just watched the elevator pitch on Kickstarter and am sold. Can someone give me the straight dope on Operation Unfathomable? I trust this board more than some randos on the Internet. 

Edit: Never mind, I bought Operation Unfathomable and highly recommend it. 

Last edited by Brock Savage (2/20/2018 1:37 am)

10/03/2018 12:13 pm  #36

Allow me some thread necromancy:

Prison of the Hated Pretender (http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/p/pdfs-to-download.html), basically this site is a treasure trove of weird fantasy adventures

Caverns of Thracia, Judges Guild, Jennell Jaquays' adventures are awesome. Dark Tower would fit too I think but I haven't ran that myself. The main swaps would be mythologies/Gods

The Lichway, by Albie Fiore, White Dwarf #9. The susurrus is a great monster and very fitting for AS&SoH. Apparently this was also the first D&D adventure Terry Pratchett ever played.

12/29/2018 1:39 am  #37

Brock Savage wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I just watched the elevator pitch on Kickstarter and am sold. Can someone give me the straight dope on Operation Unfathomable? I trust this board more than some randos on the Internet. 

Edit: Never mind, I bought Operation Unfathomable and highly recommend it. 

Just picked this up myself.  Think I'm going to use it for the Labyrinth Lord party we just generated, though it also seems like a seamless fir for Hyperborea.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

1/04/2019 6:12 pm  #38

Been reading through The City that Dripped Blood from Frog God: easily portable to Hyperborea or other S&S settings, with a mini-sandbox (once you get past the initial raison d'aventure) filled with weird creatures and a faithful S&S situation. One would have to replace some of the creatures (e.g., halflings with vhuurmis), but the rest fit right at home in Hyperborea (including some extra-planar creepies).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/04/2019 8:20 pm  #39

rhialto wrote:

Been reading through The City that Dripped Blood from Frog God: easily portable to Hyperborea or other S&S settings, with a mini-sandbox (once you get past the initial raison d'aventure) filled with weird creatures and a faithful S&S situation. One would have to replace some of the creatures (e.g., halflings with vhuurmis), but the rest fit right at home in Hyperborea (including some extra-planar creepies).

Great idea! Thanks.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/08/2020 1:50 pm  #40

I found another good one (just need to remove some minor goblinoid encounters and fix the random encounter table: The halls of Tizun Thane (White Dwarf 18) by Albie Fiore. Planning to run this soon.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.