!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2018 3:25 pm  #1

Another Non-Hex Map of the Flanaess

I actually made this map last spring, but for one reason or another I never got around to sharing it. Unlike the first map I did, which was strictly based on Darlene's map, this one incorporates some material from later sources. I hope it stays true to Gary's vision. Anyway, enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/6l029ebmbrzv9le/Expanded%20Flanaess.PNG

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/03/2018 10:51 pm  #2

Re: Another Non-Hex Map of the Flanaess

Hey BA23, sorry I didn't comment earlier, love the map. Greyhawk is awesome.

1/04/2018 12:54 am  #3

Very nice!

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

1/04/2018 6:09 pm  #4

Thanks guys!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/11/2018 9:28 am  #5

Just had time to compare your map with the older version you did a few years back. Fantastic, adding in the extra locations, gives the map an extra interesting feeling from your original map!

Adding things like 'Thunder Pass,' in Griff Mountains makes it again more stimulating, but both maps are very good, even this one is an obvious improvement!

Cheers

1/11/2018 10:12 am  #6

Caveman wrote:

Just had time to compare your map with the older version you did a few years back. Fantastic, adding in the extra locations, gives the map an extra interesting feeling from your original map!

Adding things like 'Thunder Pass,' in Griff Mountains makes it again more stimulating, but both maps are very good, even this one is an obvious improvement!

Cheers

Thanks!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/11/2018 8:44 pm  #7

You wouldn't happen to have a hex overlay for this, would you?

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

1/14/2018 6:53 pm  #8

foxroe wrote:

I've never really tried to add hexes in CC3 after the fact, but I know it is possible.

I'll play with it and see what I can come up with.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/15/2018 1:41 pm  #9

foxroe wrote:

Okay, here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ftm9i9092rfyhi9/The%20Flanaess%20Hexed.PNG

For some reason, adding hexes caused the map to export about one-third larger with the exact same export settings. I could probably get something the same size as the non-hex map through trial and error, but I don't suppose it really matters, and I only have so much time to devote to it right now. The file is huge - 140 megs. You will have to download to look at it, because mediafire can't even open something that large as a preview. Anyway, enjoy!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (1/18/2018 11:21 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/16/2018 12:28 am  #10

Wow! Thanks for doing this!

I suspect it's larger because it's in BMP format instead of PNG like the previous one. I converted the download to PNG in GIMP (default PNG export settings) and it's 56MB.

1/16/2018 8:52 am  #11

Not sure what is happening BA, but I getting an error message trying to download map, can you sort at your side?

1/16/2018 11:11 am  #12

foxroe wrote:

Wow! Thanks for doing this!

I suspect it's larger because it's in BMP format instead of PNG like the previous one. I converted the download to PNG in GIMP (default PNG export settings) and it's 56MB.

How the %*#! did that happen? I used the exact same export settings for both versions - including telling it to export as a PNG.
Okay, I might have to seek technical assistance from Pro Fantasy on this one. This is really weird.
EDIT: Also, I should mention the hexed version isn't just a larger file; it's also physically larger (about one-third larger in each dimension). With, again, the same exact export settings.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (1/16/2018 11:13 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/16/2018 11:17 am  #13

Caveman wrote:

Not sure what is happening BA, but I getting an error message trying to download map, can you sort at your side?

Do you mean that you're seeing a big "error" message when you first click on the link? That's because the file is too large for mediafire to display a preview. To see the map you will actually have to download it (click on "download" at the upper right of that screen, then "download" on the next screen). If you're getting an error at that point, I'm not sure what's causing it.

If you don't want to download it because you're worried about viruses, I certainly understand that. I can't guarantee that mediafire doesn't have any.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/17/2018 12:00 pm  #14

Blackadder23 wrote:

Caveman wrote:

Do you mean that you're seeing a big "error" message when you first click on the link? That's because the file is too large for mediafire to display a preview. To see the map you will actually have to download it (click on "download" at the upper right of that screen, then "download" on the next screen). If you're getting an error at that point, I'm not sure what's causing it.

If you don't want to download it because you're worried about viruses, I certainly understand that. I can't guarantee that mediafire doesn't have any.

Cheers now BA, not know why it fail yesterday, I had tried to download it and it also had mentioned error, but seems like it working today, nice hex map, guess you are layer pictures? As heraldry shields, etc. are unblemished, fantastic!!!

1/17/2018 6:01 pm  #15

foxroe wrote:

Evidently I'm not senile (or at least, not on this basis). Apparently CC3+ exports everything as a large BMP, then converts it at the end of the process. Well, for some reason* it isn't doing the final step, leaving me with a BMP (rather than a PNG) which is larger than it's supposed to be.
If I can get this sorted out, I'll export a proper PNG of the hexed map. I'm not quite pleased with the way this one looks.

* - The reason being that they apparently broke something in a recent update.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/17/2018 6:08 pm  #16

Caveman wrote:

Cheers now BA, not know why it fail yesterday, I had tried to download it and it also had mentioned error, but seems like it working today, nice hex map, guess you are layer pictures? As heraldry shields, etc. are unblemished, fantastic!!!

Thanks! I use Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus, which is an autocad program with the graphical elements put on "sheets" which can then have effects applied to them (such as transparency or glow). It was an easy matter to put the grid sheet below the heraldry, text, compass rose, and city marker sheets, and above everything else. It took maybe five minutes to add the grid.

Getting the map to export correctly is another story!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/18/2018 7:43 am  #17

Blackadder23 wrote:

Caveman wrote:

Thanks! I use Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus, which is an autocad program with the graphical elements put on "sheets" which can then have effects applied to them (such as transparency or glow). It was an easy matter to put the grid sheet below the heraldry, text, compass rose, and city marker sheets, and above everything else. It took maybe five minutes to add the grid.

Getting the map to export correctly is another story!

Nice 1...

Just did a search on it and the got site, so no more questions... It looks very good, though.

Yes, that a future stage for me; is how to make bigger maps and store and work on them in my Win10 computer (with Photoshop10), because the actual program I use is on a win2000xp old computer (with an old program: Photostudio 5.5, which I think is better than PS10) and it a little slow with the big stuff!

1/18/2018 11:28 am  #18

I finally got the export issue fixed, and was able to get a hex map the same size and quality as the non-hex map. The link above now points to the improved (and much smaller file size) version.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/19/2018 9:39 am  #19

Good stuff, now I got two versions, one large and one small, feels better!

Helps for my older computers!

7/05/2018 2:46 pm  #20

I had a request on the Flanaess mapping group for an unlabeled version of the hex map, and I thought it would share it here as well.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cmazt80aa2qbjy9/Physical_Flanaess_Hexed.PNG/file

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.