!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2017 5:24 pm  #41

Re: Rolling Attributes

Great thread! So, I guess I’m basically becoming an old softie... I pretty much let people play whatever they want, raising attributes to the minimums as necessary. To be honest, if someone really lobbied hard for having a higher this or that, I would probably shrug and let them have it. They’re probably going to die anyway! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/21/2017 8:55 pm  #42

Chainsaw wrote:

Great thread! So, I guess I’m basically becoming an old softie... I pretty much let people play whatever they want, raising attributes to the minimums as necessary. To be honest, if someone really lobbied hard for having a higher this or that, I would probably shrug and let them have it. They’re probably going to die anyway!

Truth.

I guess I'm a hard-ass. This coming from someone who plays Skyrim hardcore (remember Rogue?); I've deleted 39th level characters for dying for the first time, after over a hundred hours of play-through...

I like to think that playing Ye Olden Waye fosters more creative and cunning play, since players focus more on surviving and less on on "I'm here to kick-ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble-gum."

I wasn't always this way. I played for decades with the time-honored 4d6-drop-lowest-arrange-to-taste method. I think it strikes a good balance of play styles, especially if your campaign is deadly.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

12/28/2017 9:15 pm  #43

I've done 3d6-in-order for most of the d20 fantasy RPG games I've run going back to the very early 80s - sometimes with some kind of house-ruled lifepath that helps flesh out a PC's background and average nets one or two abilities being one or two higher.

But for the vibe I get from AS&SH, I'm going Method V (2d6+6 in order) for a four-player game I'm about to start up. Just feels like the correct choice for this system and for the game I want.

Last edited by nemomeme (12/28/2017 9:16 pm)

12/28/2017 9:22 pm  #44

nemomeme wrote:

I've done 3d6-in-order for most of the d20 fantasy RPG games I've run going back to the very early 80s - sometimes with some kind of house-ruled lifepath that helps flesh out a PC's background and average nets one or two abilities being one or two higher.

But for the vibe I get from AS&SH, I'm going Method V (2d6+6 in order) for a four-player game I'm about to start up. Just feels like the correct choice for this system and for the game I want.

Odd that's what I chose for my first campaign.  I like characters with good stats.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.