!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2014 12:28 am  #1

Necromancers & Lightning Bolt

A very minor nit to pick, I know, but it's always weirded me out that Necromancers get Lightning Bolt as a third-level spell.

I am somewhat inclined to substitute for Fireball, specifically one that manifests as a ghastly, spectral skull wreathed in green flames that travels from the caster's hand towards the designated target, exploding in an eerie blast of the same unnatural green fire.

Or maybe reskin Lightning Bolt as a Shadow Bolt, with similar range, area of effect and damage, only consisting of necrotic or "negative energy" instead of electricity.

4/06/2014 6:13 am  #2

Re: Necromancers & Lightning Bolt

I could see something like a shadow bolt working as a nice variant and I like your spectral skull wreathed in green flames as well, but the Dr. Frankenstein in me thinks that somehow electricity and the undead are not unrelated. Regardless, I would probably be inclined to accommodate any fireball-desiring player willing to put forth enough effort to imagine "spectral skull wreathed in green flames," though, especially because I love anything (within reason) that gets players creatively invested. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/06/2014 6:21 am  #3

Chainsaw wrote:

I could see something like a shadow bolt working as a nice variant and I like your spectral skull wreathed in green flames as well, but the Dr. Frankenstein in me thinks that somehow electricity and the undead are not unrelated. Regardless, I would probably be inclined to accommodate any fireball-desiring player willing to put forth enough effort to imagine "spectral skull wreathed in green flames," though, especially because I love anything (within reason) that gets players creatively invested.

First thing I thought of as well. Wielding electric the stuff of life and death.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/07/2014 12:57 pm  #4

The two replies following the OP nail my intent precisely: I was thinking Dr. Frankenstein all the way -- electricity being (at least in my imagination) an important component of several necromantic procedures. That being said, I do like the cut of your jib, Butcher (ghastly, spectral skull wreathed in green flames). ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/18/2015 1:38 am  #5

One thing I immediately thought of was Star Wars where the emperor makes use of lightning alongside the dark side ability to maintain longevity of life (and theoretically raise from 'death' should the user dabble enough in the arts). I know it's not swords & sorcery, but it's what sprang to mind 

2/18/2015 4:13 pm  #6

It probably goes without saying the lightning is either sickly purple or ghastly green...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/18/2015 6:35 pm  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

It probably goes without saying the lightning is either sickly purple or ghastly green...

According to Gary, mauve is also pretty evil.

2/18/2015 6:42 pm  #8

Handy Haversack wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

According to Gary, mauve is also pretty evil.

I've always thought so.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/21/2015 8:26 pm  #9

Ghul wrote:

I was thinking Dr. Frankenstein all the way -- electricity being (at least in my imagination) an important component of several necromantic procedures

Same here.

2/23/2015 12:41 am  #10

Rastus_Burne wrote:

One thing I immediately thought of was Star Wars where the emperor makes use of lightning alongside the dark side ability to maintain longevity of life (and theoretically raise from 'death' should the user dabble enough in the arts). I know it's not swords & sorcery, but it's what sprang to mind 

This might be to your liking, then, Rastus_Burne:

Fingers of Leprosy (Evocation)

Level:  3
Range:  4” + 1” per level
Duration:  instantaneous
Area of Effect:  one individual
Components:  V, S, M
Casting Time:  3 segments
Saving Throw:  ½

The caster evokes this spell by cutting the undersides of his fingers at the completion of the casting, which mingles with a blast of purple netherforce drawn from the depths of Hades.  The energy cascades out of his fingers, and he plays it along the victim, causing 1-6 points of damage per level of the caster, as the energies rot, flay, and shred the skin from his bones (one-half damage if a saving throw versus spells is successful).  In addition, the victim must succeed in a second saving throw vs. poison or become infected with a random disease.

2/24/2015 5:09 pm  #11

Love it, grodog!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.