!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2017 10:03 am  #41

Re: How many are starting a new campaign with the 2nd edition?

Ghul wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Im pretty sure with the new subclasses there will be some experimentation by the players. I would really like to meet with them individually so there is no peer pressure or team driven decisions. So if it's 3 pyromancers 2 assasins and a berserker so be it. Let's go adventuring!

The purloiner has been a popular choice in my home game.

The fighter in my group liked the Purloiner since receiving his PDF.  We will have at least one. Steal and Heal has quite the appeal. 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/15/2017 12:18 pm  #42

rhialto wrote:

The folded map from the back of the book.

Hah! I thought it was some Kickstarter goodie I missed out on.

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

10/15/2017 2:00 pm  #43

foxroe wrote:

rhialto wrote:

The folded map from the back of the book.

Hah! I thought it was some Kickstarter goodie I missed out on.

I have to say the T-shirt is awesome: I donned mine, immediately felt weirder...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/16/2017 7:56 am  #44

Ghul wrote:

francisca wrote:

Actually, I've made the decision to use AS&SH for eveything, from here on out.  All my home campaigns and FRPG con games will now be run with AS&SH.

Gosh, I'm flattered, Rich! I'm delighted to hear you enjoy it that much. Cheers!

You've done a great job with the game and the setting.  Plus, pretty much my houserule has been, "you can be any race you want as long as it is human" and my games routinely feature Lovecraftian, REH, Leiber, and now - CAS elements.  So, it just makes sense.

Last edited by francisca (10/16/2017 8:01 am)

10/16/2017 12:31 pm  #45

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

francisca wrote:

Actually, I've made the decision to use AS&SH for eveything, from here on out.  All my home campaigns and FRPG con games will now be run with AS&SH.

Gosh, I'm flattered, Rich! I'm delighted to hear you enjoy it that much. Cheers!

You've done a great job with the game and the setting.  Plus, pretty much my houserule has been, "you can be any race you want as long as it is human" and my games routinely feature Lovecraftian, REH, Leiber, and now - CAS elements.  So, it just makes sense.

I totally agree with this. This game has checked all the boxes I've been looking for to run Hyborian Age campaigns. Best sword and sorcery game I've run in years.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

10/17/2017 8:36 am  #46

I'm looking to run a bunch of modules in the Gal Hills, surrounding mountains, and the Red Desert regions once I get and absorb the new rules.  Sadly, it will be a solo campaign, using the Mythic GM Emulator and the Scarlet Heroes rules.  Still, it should be fun!

Intricate Entity: Formless faceless and free

10/17/2017 8:59 am  #47

1970 wrote:

I'm looking to run a bunch of modules in the Gal Hills, surrounding mountains, and the Red Desert regions once I get and absorb the new rules.  Sadly, it will be a solo campaign, using the Mythic GM Emulator and the Scarlet Heroes rules.  Still, it should be fun!

Hey 1970!  I'm familiar with both of those products and particularly Scarlet Heroes is a neat take on the Old School rules.  I hope fortune brings many players of high quality your way! 

Will the characters be locals and with a Keltic background or will they be visiting from another area like Khromarium? I ran a convention adventure with Keltic characters in the Gal Hills.  Lots of fun!

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Morgan

While in my soul forever

10/18/2017 6:33 am  #48

Hey Morgan, thanks for your interest!

I'll probably have a main PC be a foreigner and another PC be a local.  Anything South and West of Gal is game, ethnically speaking, with Vikland being a strong contender as well.  I'm just now getting an idea of which modules to run in what order while resisting the urge to get too far ahead of myself.  I may just start with my 1st edition box set and adjust for second edition whenever it comes, as I'm pretty excited about this.

Intricate Entity: Formless faceless and free

10/18/2017 10:43 pm  #49

Grimmshade wrote:

Starting a home campaign set in the Hyborian Age.

I am going to play up the connections between Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age and my version of Hyperborea. Hyperborea has been something of a creative obsession for me the past couple years but I will never forget my Howard and Lovecraft roots.  

10/19/2017 8:37 am  #50

Brock Savage - I can see using Hyperborea with a lot of Hyborian Age connections being a really fun thing to do. I did the same thing with 13th Age. I used the world basically as written, but added REH Hyborian Age elements as well as Thulsa Doom and his Mountain of Power from the Conan film. It was a fun campaign that lasted 2 years.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

10/19/2017 10:20 am  #51

1970 wrote:

Hey Morgan, thanks for your interest!

I'll probably have a main PC be a foreigner and another PC be a local.  Anything South and West of Gal is game, ethnically speaking, with Vikland being a strong contender as well.  I'm just now getting an idea of which modules to run in what order while resisting the urge to get too far ahead of myself.  I may just start with my 1st edition box set and adjust for second edition whenever it comes, as I'm pretty excited about this.

Sounds like a plan!

While in my soul forever

10/20/2017 8:14 pm  #52

Started my Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of the Hyborian Age campaign today. We all had a blast! I GM'ed my regular 3 player group. 

The party started in Aghrapur where the Assassin was given a guild mission to assassinate the Living Tarim, who was verbally opposing King Yezdigerd. They became distracted when they saw a Zamorian dancer sold at a slave auction, and rescued her. She actually had some info about the cult of the new Living Tarim, having encountered them before she was captured as a slave. She revealed that they believed in Hyrkanian purity and removing all foreigners from Turan/Hyrkania.
On the way to the abandoned desert border fort that the cult was using as it's HQ, the party fought a giant beetle that had ambushed and eaten a merchant wagon, outsmarting it with a trap that the Huntsman (Huntswoman) set. 
They were then ambushed by two tigers at an oasis, which killed one of their horses, and mauled the Huntswoman pretty good. She managed to pull one down with her whip, and with the other two PC's firing arrows and her mountain lion attacking at opportune times they won the fight. 
(I should mention the 3 PC's are only 3rd level, so these were pretty rough fights.)
They also found some rare (for the area) purple lotus to harvest.
They finally arrived at the fort and mingled with the pilgrims there long enough to see the prophet and self-proclaimed Living Tarim give a sermon. It was obvious he was using sorcery to sway the Turanians and Hyrkanians into cleansing the nations of all but pure Lemurian bloodline. They snuck into the fort at night and assassinated the Living Tarim (with the assassin succeeding at her assassination roll!).
They found a shrine to the Living Tarim underneath the fort, and what they at first thought was the Tarim statue glowing blue turned out to be a blue ooze daemon of the Outer Dark which had been putting all the thoughts into the prophets head. They killed the demon with fire and a "magical" ancient Zhemri dagger.

Best session of gaming I have had in a very long time.

Last edited by Grimmshade (10/20/2017 8:18 pm)

Rambling Conan Blog

10/20/2017 9:49 pm  #53

This sounds pretty amazing!  Distracted by a Zamorian slave girl....happens to the best of us.

While in my soul forever

11/02/2017 12:52 pm  #54

I don't think we'll start a new campaign, but everyone's pretty psyched to have the new edition. Aaaaand there *was*a little matter of a 10HD fireball in our last session of Maze of the Blue Medusa that pretty much took out everyone under fifth level, so there are suddenly some entry-level positions open. I think the plan for this weekend is to take a bunch of first-level new PCs out for a spin before melding them into the main party. Thinking either Luke Gearing's new Fever Swamp or Zzarchov's Price of Evil, though I'm not really sure what the players will elect to do.

Pretty sure a cryomancer amd runegraver have already been rolled up.

12/11/2017 8:42 am  #55

I'm not planning to start a new campaign but, as Handy's situation above, there will likely be some opening for new characters fairly soon... 

12/11/2017 12:38 pm  #56

I'm starting a Hyperborea 5e campaign in early 2018. I'm experimenting with something new, a loosely structured sandbox based on the Open Table model. I've assembled a laundry list of OSR and classic adventures which I'll reskin and tweak for Hyperborea to serve as a pool of adventures. The default activity for players consists of plundering ancient ruins, tombs, and dungeons in search of gold and magical treasure. Players will have a variety of adventure seeds representing rumors, job offers, insider information, treasure maps, and the like. Player activity, including downtime, can generate more lucrative adventures that reward items or spells that they desire. Like I said, I'm venturing into new territory so I'm excited and anxious to see how it all turns out.

Handy Haversack wrote:

our last session of Maze of the Blue Medusa

You run Maze of the Blue Medusa in Hyperborea? I'd love to hear more. If I ran MotBM I'm afraid the players would feel like they are exploring a massive, weird, and deadly piece of performance art instead of a dungeon. I had to read it a couple times to really "grok" it.  "Genius" isn't the right word to describe MotBM but it's definitely smart, innovative, evocative, and a little pretentious. It's only $5 on RPGNow and worth every penny.

ThornPlutonius wrote:

I am in the process of starting a new campaign in Hyperborea, but will be using the Mythras rules instead of the AS&SH rules. I deeply respect Ghul's d20 rules set, but just am not into the d20 level/class sort of gaming right now.

I don't think there's any disrespect in running Hyperborea using a different system. I believe Hyperborea is the greatest fantasy setting ever created but decided to use a hacked and reskinned version of D&D 5e because reasons. On the boards, Ghul consistently encourages fans of Hyperborea to make the setting their own and I've never seen him criticize someone for breaking with canon, such as it is. 

12/11/2017 6:44 pm  #57

I didn't run the game shop Halloween game, however I will be running a tavern game of ASSH2E and I have half of the character made (Kimmerian Fighter, Hyperborean Ranger, Common Monk, Kelt Bard, not sure of the remaining three yet, we will make characters for them this week). They will waken on the shores of Brigand's Bay with their gear and in not too bad of shape. Which is good because there will be a giant crab attack as they are gathering their wits and we go on from there, sandbox style. What they don't know is that Hyperborea is alien to them and as they landed where they did a mysterious arcane twist of fate (or interference by Chaos) crashed a ship full of beastmen (goat-headed broo or Warhammer-style) along the Savage Boreal Coast and their shaman knows about the adventurers and believes they have the way back to their world (they probably don't) and to this end the beastmen will do everything that they can to strengthen their cult and get to the adventurers.

Last edited by bat (12/11/2017 8:24 pm)

12/11/2017 7:56 pm  #58

Brock Savage wrote:

I don't think there's any disrespect in running Hyperborea using a different system. I believe Hyperborea is the greatest fantasy setting ever created but decided to use a hacked and reskinned version of D&D 5e because reasons. On the boards, Ghul consistently encourages fans of Hyperborea to make the setting their own and I've never seen him criticize someone for breaking with canon, such as it is. 

I agree.  I use a simplified version particularly with convention games.  For me the classes are one of the things that made me fall in love with the game.  I don't want to do the work to convert to a completely different system so I stay with the system in the book. Though 5E is reasonable close to OSR systems so not too bad I suppose.

While in my soul forever

12/11/2017 7:57 pm  #59

bat wrote:

I didn't run the game shop Halloween game, however I will be running a tavern game of ASSH2E and I have half of the character made (Kimmerian Fighter, Hyperborean Ranger, Common Monk, Kelt Bard, not sure of the remaining three yet, we will make characters for them this week). They will waken on the shores of Brigand's Bay with their gear and in not too bad of shape. Which is good because there will be a giant crab attack as they are gathering their wits and we go on from their, sandbox style. What they don't know is that Hyperborea is alien to them and as they landed where they did a mysterious arcane twist of fate (or interference by Chaos) crashed a ship full of beastmen (goat-headed broo or Warhammer-style) along the Savage Boreal Coast and their shaman knows about the adventurers and believes they have the way back to their world (they probably don't) and to this end the beastmen will do everything that they can to strengthen their cult and get to the adventurers.

Running from whats ahead of them and what's behind!

While in my soul forever

12/11/2017 7:59 pm  #60

rhialto wrote:

I've been letting my group know I want to get back to AS&SH when 2e was available in print (I only use PDFs for quick searching a pulling out the bits I need: I have a hard time reading them as I would a physical book). While they have two groups of PCs in my campaign world (one 6th - 7th level, one their henchmen run as a one-off that turned into a mini-campaign of now 3rd level) I've been itching to do a Viking-themed game, set in my version of Earth, post-Atlantean apocalypse (codename "Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Old Terra", or SSOOT, pronounced "soot" ).

A Viking themed game would be fun!

While in my soul forever

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.