!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/28/2017 10:16 am  #41

Re: AS&SH Reviews

I think I've enough posts to now include links... Way back in 2013 I put a review on my blog - it's one of the more higher viewed posts I've made as it turns out -
https://19thlevel.blogspot.com/2013/03/rpg-review-astonishing-swordsmen.html

My blog: 19th Level

6/28/2017 8:07 pm  #42

Nice review!

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

6/29/2017 7:48 am  #43

Breschau of Livonia wrote:

I think I've enough posts to now include links... Way back in 2013 I put a review on my blog - it's one of the more higher viewed posts I've made as it turns out -
https://19thlevel.blogspot.com/2013/03/rpg-review-astonishing-swordsmen.html

Very thorough!! Welcome!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/04/2017 8:08 pm  #44

Ole' Man Grognard's video review of AS&SH 2E:

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/04/2017 8:09 pm  #45

And nice, text-based review of AS&SH 2E:
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/17/17343.phtml

Last edited by Ghul (12/04/2017 8:09 pm)

12/05/2017 12:49 am  #46

Ghul wrote:

Ascending AC?  Did he and I read the same book?

-SJ

Last edited by SmokestackJones (12/05/2017 12:50 am)

12/05/2017 5:10 am  #47

SmokestackJones wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Ascending AC?  Did he and I read the same book?

-SJ

I put it down to his self-admitted lack of experience: still a fine review overall.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/05/2017 8:52 am  #48

I noticed that too, but I'm not in the business of correcting the authors of reviews. 

12/05/2017 9:55 am  #49

In hindsight I regret I was a bit harsh on my part but yes, fine review.

-SJ

12/31/2017 10:51 pm  #50

Of all places, I forgot to post it here, but here's my review.  Although, does anyone here need convincing?  If you want to skip reading my master's thesis: it's great.

12/31/2017 11:06 pm  #51

I like your review, under_score, I just wonder how you and ghul figure dragons are relegated to high fantasy. One of the grittiest fantasy settings, Glen Cook's Black Company series, has a dragon in it.

However, in the spirit of AS&SH I am omitting dragons as well and introducing a more savage and brutal menace.

12/31/2017 11:17 pm  #52

Bat, Black Company is definitely on my to-read list.  I keep hearing it referenced in the best ways.

I do think that dragons are an interesting point for discerning high/low fantasy.  I'm not sure that dragons have to be considered high fantasy.  The Hobbit was pretty low fantasy, although more whimsical than usually mined for swords & sorcery fiction, and it had a singular dragon, who might as well be the only dragon in Middle Earth.  On the other hand, the closest thing to a dragon I can recall Conan facing was the great lizard in Red Nails, but that was very different from the image usually conjured by the name "dragon".
Still, I don't think dragons cannot be in a swords & sorcery/low fantasy game.  But it's easier to think of examples that are decidedly not low fantasy (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms) than the alternative.

1/01/2018 11:55 pm  #53

The speaking, gold-hoarding, spell-casting dragon trope is definitely a "high fantasy" element. I picture dragons in a AS&SH setting as being a wingless, subterranean species (sans magic and speech). There are already wyverns  in the game if you're looking for winged lizards...

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

1/02/2018 10:23 am  #54

foxroe cuts to the heart of my thinking on this. If we're talking about Smaug and the like, then I'm going to shy away from it, because it feels like the antagonist of dwarves, elves, and hobbits. Of course, you've got St. George and his dragon, but this kind of Romanticism doesn't fit my personal conception of Hyperborea, either.

Let's take a look at what we do have for critters referred to as "dragons" in AS&SH: behirs, class vii lesser daemons, class xii lesser daemons, giant komodo dragons, and wyverns.

When I think of the "dragon" that Conan fights in "Red Nails," I am imagining something more akin to what we have with our giant komodo dragon

1/02/2018 11:32 am  #55

As I get more organized for a few miniatures and game report posts I will reveal my alternative to dragons in Hyperborea.

1/02/2018 12:05 pm  #56

bat wrote:

As I get more organized for a few miniatures and game report posts I will reveal my alternative to dragons in Hyperborea.

Excellent. I look forward to reading what you come up with.

7/08/2020 2:55 pm  #57

Sorry for the delay but here is my video on Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess.
https://youtu.be/GkYhEHTapDI

Last edited by SavageGM (7/08/2020 2:58 pm)

7/09/2020 5:59 am  #58

There is a precedent for dragons coming from the Cthulhu mythos: lloigor. These are normally creatures of energy but they occasionally form physical draconian bodies. I'm using gem dragons to represent their physical forms.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

7/17/2020 10:47 am  #59

SavageGM wrote:

Sorry for the delay but here is my video on Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess.

Thank you for putting together another great review -- insightful, informative, and such a great delivery. I just plugged this review at Facebook, Twitter, and MeWe. I've encouraged folks to subscribe, too. You have excellent content! Thanks again, Brandon. Cheers! ~Jeff T. 

7/17/2020 11:07 am  #60

Ghul wrote:

SavageGM wrote:

Thank you for putting together another great review -- insightful, informative, and such a great delivery. I just plugged this review at Facebook, Twitter, and MeWe. I've encouraged folks to subscribe, too. You have excellent content! Thanks again, Brandon. Cheers! ~Jeff T. 

Thanks a bunch Jeff for getting the word out and sharing the video. Hope it convinces people to pick up the game and adventures!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.