Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2017 3:47 pm  #1

First few albums/cassettes you owned?

Born 1978

- Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction
- Poison, Look What the Cat Dragged In
- Def Leppard, Hysteria
- Metallica, Black Album
- Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/15/2017 2:40 pm  #2

Re: First few albums/cassettes you owned?

Born 1973; here's my progression in roughly chronological order of my deepening descent into the world of heavy metal:

​Cinderella, Night Songs
AC/DC, Who Made Who
Twisted Sister, Stay Hungry
Judas Priest, Turbo
​Ozzy Osbourne, The Ultimate Sin
Iron Maiden, Piece of Mind
​Metallica, Creeping Death EP
​Iron Maiden, Somewhere in Time
Metallica, Master of Puppets

...and the rest is history.

7/15/2017 7:25 pm  #3

except for the Pink Floyd, I have owned every album listed in the first two posts. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

Born 1966. Spent the 70's growing up on Country, Top 40, and radio rock (ELO, Journey, 38 Special).
8th grade year I met a tenth-grader who turned me on to everything from Ted Nugent to Led Zeppelin to Pick Floyd. 

First album owned was QUEEN The Game, which I requested and received Christmas 8th grade year. 
From there it escalated quickly from hard rock into Heavy Metal:
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock & Back in Black
Def Leppard - Pyromania
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Ozzy - Blizzard of Oz & Diary of a Madman
HEAVY METAL Motion Picture Soundtrack
Quiet Riot - Metal Health
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
KISS - Lick It Up
ACCEPT - Balls to the Wall
DIO - The Last in Line (then backtracked and got Holy Diver)
Dokken - Tooth & Nail
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
KISS - Animalize
ACCEPT - Restless & Wild
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
ACCEPT - Metal Heart
Judas Priest - Turbo
DIO - Sacred Heart
Metal Church - The Dark (then backtracked and got the debut)
RAVEN - All For One
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
SLAYER - Hell Awaits
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

...and the rest is history.

"We're always creating rules in the tacit pursuit of verisimilitude. This is a valid and noble pursuit.
But for some of us, that's a false idol. We harken to a different song." - Frank Mentzer, 2017

7/16/2017 10:17 am  #4

The first album (record) I bought with my own money was Adam Ant - Friend or Foe.

Last edited by Scalydemon (7/16/2017 10:19 am)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

7/16/2017 11:47 am  #5

B. 1974

I grew up with my dad listening to what is now called a "classic rock" station, so I was hearing the good stuff at an early age. 
Somewhere between the ages of 10-12 and dad came home from a garage sale with a case of cassettes, all but one were garbage. The one that I kept, ie my first cassette that I owned:
http://i65.tinypic.com/x10rwz.jpg

I heard the opening riff of Whole Lotta Love and I was hooked. 

7/16/2017 10:09 pm  #6

Born 1955.

My very first album was Led Zeppelin's first.  I don't remember for sure after that.  May have been The Beatles' white album.  Led Zeppelin II.  Grand Funk Live.  Sergant Pepper's.  Tommy. 

All vinyl.

Last edited by ThornPlutonius (10/23/2017 6:57 pm)

7/18/2017 10:54 am  #7

My very first cassette was Fair Warning, by Van Halen. My first vinyl was Number of the Beast, by Iron Maiden. It's a blur after that. The thing was, my old brother had a dual-cassette boom box, so he used to buy stuff and I used to buy blank tapes and record his stuff. I remember he had the Queensryche EP before anyone had heard of them, so I followed up by purchasing The Warning on vinyl when it came out. The tables turned once I got my paper route, because my obsession with music was much greater than his, so soon he was taping my stuff as I introduced him to Metallica, Mercyful Fate, and many others. I was buying Metal Edge magazine and learning about all the cool stuff. 

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea - A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

7/18/2017 4:51 pm  #8

Born 1969.

First songs I remember hearing as a kid:  The Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (on AM radio BITD)

First concert as a kid:  The Beach Boys at Mann Music Center in Philly in 1975 or 1976.

First cassette albums (I didn't own much music in any media until I went away to college [PP&M's Puff the Magic Dragon excepted, I think], and I copied these 2 tapes from my younger brother before leaving for Penn State, which opened up my musical vistas exponentially)
- Genesis/Genesis backed with The Police/Synchronicity
- the first tape I remember buying new in college was The Cars' Greatest Hits and Men At Work's Business as Usual

First concert as a teen/in college:  Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe's ABWH tour in Philly and Atlantic City

First CD albums (college):
- Hawkwind's Chronicle of the Black Sword
- Jon & Vangelis' 3 albums:  Short Stories, The Friends of Mr. Cairo, Private Collection

Allan.

Last edited by grodog (7/18/2017 4:57 pm)

10/23/2017 6:47 am  #9

Born 1974.

It started with vinyls of Micheal Jackson's Thriller and Weird Al Yankovic's In 3-D.

Then cassettes of the B-52's Mesopotamia and Weird Al Yankovic's Polka Party.

After a while a friend told me I needed to check out Metallica, so I wound up with Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All.  Somewhere along the way I got a bootleg of Anthrax's I'm the Man single and discovered King Diamond's Them and Conspiracy.  Yeah, it went something like that, I think.

Formless faceless and free

10/23/2017 12:27 pm  #10

Born 1968

First album (vinyl) I bought with my own money ... KiSS - Double Platinum (1978) ... somehow from there, my next album purchase didn't occur until 1980 with Loverboy's debut album ... we didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

10/23/2017 6:54 pm  #11

Ooops.  Forgot and didn't notice I'd already posted my answer.  /laugh/

Don't read this post!

Last edited by ThornPlutonius (10/23/2017 6:58 pm)

10/27/2017 12:09 pm  #12

'67

My first self-purchased album (vinyl): AC/DC - Back in Black

My first concert: Rush - Grace Under Pressure tour, Providence, RI

My first 8-track: VH - Fair Warning (that one's for Ghul ;) )

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

10/27/2017 12:14 pm  #13

measuredrums wrote:

... we didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

Yep, same here! We'd get packs of 120 minute blank cassettes and record the local rock radio stations. I was such a pirate back then...

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

10/28/2017 5:25 am  #14

foxroe wrote:

measuredrums wrote:

... we didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

Yep, same here! We'd get packs of 120 minute blank cassettes and record the local rock radio stations. I was such a pirate back then...

When I was in my 20s money pretty much stopped.  A friend and I got around it by starting a punk rock 'zine and got indie labels to send us free music in exchange for reviews.  Some of it was even good!

10/28/2017 9:56 am  #15

1970 wrote:

A friend and I got around it by starting a punk rock 'zine and got indie labels to send us free music in exchange for reviews.  Some of it was even good!

Nice! Any 7 Seconds? They were just starting to become popular back then. Caught a couple of their shows in my youth - pretty darn good from what I remember.

10/28/2017 1:10 pm  #16

I think the most famous band we got samples for was Rich Kids on LSD.  I was surprised that Epitaph even read our letter, much less actually send anything.

Loves me some 7 Seconds though.  They hold up well, IMO.  Still making music too, if I remember right.

11/01/2017 12:48 pm  #17

Born 1969

Kiss Alive! was the first album I bought with my own money, followed by 2112.

11/29/2017 6:33 pm  #18

Distilled and bottled in 1971...
Record - Van Halen, 1984
Cassette - Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction
CD - Van Halen, 5150

Board footera

“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2017 North Wind Adventures, LLC.