!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/26/2017 3:51 pm  #1

The spell "Tongues"

The opposite of Tongues is Gibberish.  Does this effect disrupt spells?

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/27/2017 2:01 pm  #2

Re: The spell "Tongues"

I would rule that gibberish does not prevent spellcasting in most cases (my reasoning being that it affects the perception of listeners, rather than changing what is actually said). However, if the spell requires the target to understand spoken instructions (such as command or suggestion) then gibberish would prevent it from functioning.

ETA: To make my reasoning more explicit, tongues causes listeners to hear the speaker in their own language. It is my feeling that this is a change in their perception of what is said; the spellcaster is not actually speaking in (possibly) multiple languages at the same time. I would argue, then, that the reverse of tongues works the same way: the spell target speaks normally (including spellcasting) but is perceived as talking gibberish.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/27/2017 2:12 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/27/2017 7:30 pm  #3

I don’t think the intent of gibberish​ was to prevent spell-casting, but it is an interesting interpretation. BA23​, I’d submit that it’s the speakers who must save vs. gibberish​, not the listeners (though I’m commenting only as one referee to another, not in any official capacity).

11/27/2017 8:53 pm  #4

Rereading the description of tongues in AS&SH leads me to believe that Jeff does indeed intend for the spell (and it's reverse) to affect the actual speech of the subject or subjects, not just the perception of it. That being the case, I now conclude that spellcasting (and the use of magic items with command words) would be prevented (at least according to the letter of the rules).

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/27/2017 8:54 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/28/2017 6:41 am  #5

Yes, the spell clearly affects the actual speech uttered: either to be any tongue ("Enables the sorcerer to speak the language of any intelligent creature within 50 feet...") or simply nonsense ("The reverse of this spell, gibberish, confuses and jumbles the words of all speakers within 50 feet...). In the latter case I think it would prevent spell-casting, or maybe invoke a Sorcery Saving Throw to see what interesting effect the gibberish actually called forth.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/28/2017 9:29 am  #6

I would probably not allow Gibberish to disrupt spells.  I see spells as vocal "work". Manipulating the energies to bring about an end result. The "language" of magic is for this work rather than communication.

Take for example the new spell "Dances" and its reversal "Square". The former allows the caster to do any dance for the purpose of dancing. Square would prevent those within 50' from being able to do any dance in a coordinated fashion, thus being me in middle school. Square would not prevent someone within 50' from moving a wheel barrow as this is rhythmic movement doing work not dancing.

Just my 2 pennies as I don't think this was the intention but perhaps an unintended consequence of the spell

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/28/2017 2:31 pm  #7

Interesting take...I guess it would depend on the circumstances, as I'd like to reward a creative player for presenting the argument for such disruption, but could also predict their yelps of protest if levied against them.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.