!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2017 2:41 pm  #1

Staff of Curing Question

The description of the staff of curing says, in part:
 It is loaded with curative spells, though it can be used but once per person per day:
How do you interpret that? 

Does this mean that any given cleric can only use one of the 4 functions once per day?  So if you have 3 Clerics in your party (yeah....riiiight), they can each use it once per day?

Or, any particular recipient of the powers of the staff may only receive one per day?

11/15/2017 3:26 pm  #2

Re: Staff of Curing Question

I read the staff as being able to be used 1x/day per user of the staff, so each of the three clerics (lol, riiiiight) in the  party could use it 1x/day. 

11/15/2017 4:17 pm  #3

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

I read the staff as being able to be used 1x/day per user of the staff, so each of the three clerics (lol, riiiiight) in the  party could use it 1x/day. 

I would say a person can only benefit once per day.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/15/2017 4:48 pm  #4

2 OPINIONS ENTER!

ONLY ONE LEAVES!

11/15/2017 4:52 pm  #5

RAWWWR!

11/15/2017 4:54 pm  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

This is the way the Staff of Healing works, and how the Staff of Curing in the 1e DMG works, so I lean this way.

11/15/2017 4:55 pm  #7

mabon5127 wrote:

I was wondering about that but the Staff of Healing reads as "it can only be used once per day on a particular creature." Based on that language, I interpret the Staff of Curing limitations to be user specific rather than recipient specific. 

Last edited by Ar'Pharazon (11/15/2017 4:56 pm)

11/15/2017 4:58 pm  #8

francisca wrote:

in the 1e DMG..

HERESY! There is no game system but Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea! 

11/15/2017 4:59 pm  #9

francisca wrote:

2 OPINIONS ENTER!

ONLY ONE LEAVES!

Can't we all just get along???

While in my soul forever

11/15/2017 5:00 pm  #10

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

francisca wrote:

in the 1e DMG..

HERESY! There is no game system but Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea! 

Ahhhhh. Common ground.

While in my soul forever

11/16/2017 12:08 am  #11

The staff of curing reads "it can be used but once per person per day" and the staff of healing reads "it can be used only once per day on a particular creature". I'm not sure I see a major distinction there.
Anyway, personally I would rule that a creature can receive benefit from any staff of curing once per day, and any staff of healing once per day. In other words, I wouldn't permit a creature to be healed by multiple clerics wielding staves of healing even if they each had a distinct staff of their own. Once per customer per day, period.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/16/2017 12:08 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/16/2017 10:06 am  #12

I can see how it can be dubiously interpreted, but the intent is that both staves can be used on a particular recipient but once per day. Each staff may be employed more than once on a particular day, but not on the same recipient.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/16/2017 10:43 am  #13

Ghul wrote:

I can see how it can be dubiously interpreted, but the intent is that both staves can be used on a particular recipient but once per day. Each staff may be employed more than once on a particular day, but not on the same recipient.

SUCH HAS SPAKE THE GHUL.

11/16/2017 6:03 pm  #14

francisca wrote:

Ghul wrote:

SUCH HAS SPAKE THE GHUL.

I'm going to have to try that one on my wife the next time she disagrees with me. We'll see how that goes. :|

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/16/2017 7:29 pm  #15

Ghul wrote:

So let it be written, so let it done!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.