!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2017 7:58 am  #1

Horsemanship

The Barbarian, Cataphract, and Paladin have Horsemanship ability which allows them to perform certain maneuvers and attacks from horseback. 
My question is: can other characters train in this? The Saddle Fire action says "trained" on the Advanced Combat Action chart, and in the description it mentions Rangers and Fighters, both of which don't have the Horsemanship ability. 

We have a Ranger (Bossonian archer) in the PC party, and while spending a lot of time in Turan / Hyrkania he asked if he could train in Saddle Fire, which makes perfect sense (and is cool). I'm definitely allowing it, but I just wondered what the official thought was.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

11/02/2017 9:05 am  #2

Re: Horsemanship

Grimmshade wrote:

The Barbarian, Cataphract, and Paladin have Horsemanship ability which allows them to perform certain maneuvers and attacks from horseback. 
My question is: can other characters train in this? The Saddle Fire action says "trained" on the Advanced Combat Action chart, and in the description it mentions Rangers and Fighters, both of which don't have the Horsemanship ability. 

We have a Ranger (Bossonian archer) in the PC party, and while spending a lot of time in Turan / Hyrkania he asked if he could train in Saddle Fire, which makes perfect sense (and is cool). I'm definitely allowing it, but I just wondered what the official thought was.

Any Fighter subclass can use the saddle fire.  The training aspect, much like that for gaining levels, seems to be left up to the individual Ref.  If that is what he imagines his character to be able to do then let him fire from a galloping horse!  Just my opinion.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/02/2017 9:25 am  #3

Mabon - I agree! I'm just confused as to what exactly the "Horsemanship" ability of some classes grants that other fighter classes can't do.
One thing I'm finding really awesome about AS&SH in my Hyborian Age campaign is that the PC's grow narratively and mechanically on the character sheet. I like the old school training for level requirements, and things like learning a language just from being in an area long enough, and the Bossonian training in Hyrkanian horse archery. It all builds upon the history of the character really well. 

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

11/02/2017 9:53 am  #4

Grimmshade wrote:

Mabon - I agree! I'm just confused as to what exactly the "Horsemanship" ability of some classes grants that other fighter classes can't do.
One thing I'm finding really awesome about AS&SH in my Hyborian Age campaign is that the PC's grow narratively and mechanically on the character sheet. I like the old school training for level requirements, and things like learning a language just from being in an area long enough, and the Bossonian training in Hyrkanian horse archery. It all builds upon the history of the character really well. 

The Paladin and Cataphract have the same wording for "Horsemanship" and refer to the same section of the rules.  The Barbarian is slightly different.
The Cataphract receives increased damage from a mounted charge but this is a separate class skill.
The Cataphract receives lower modifiers when saddle firing but the Paladin does not.  
All fighter sub-classes can fight on horseback and receive benefit from doing so.
What benefits do those with Horsemanship receive? 
I'm not sure there is a rules / mechanic answer.  If you wanted to do a maneuver with a mount that wasn't specifically addressed in the rules, those with Horsemanship would have an easier time (no neg mod).

sorry for the stream of consciousness talking out loud.....

While in my soul forever

11/02/2017 10:14 am  #5

Mabon - I suspect you're completely correct about Horsemanship! I'm still getting used to the freedom these rules allow. It's a great mix of GM freedom but still giving enough guidance that you don't have to make up EVERYTHING on the spot.

Rambling Conan Blog

11/02/2017 10:38 am  #6

Grimmshade wrote:

Mabon - I suspect you're completely correct about Horsemanship! I'm still getting used to the freedom these rules allow. It's a great mix of GM freedom but still giving enough guidance that you don't have to make up EVERYTHING on the spot.

The difference in the description with the barbarian makes me want to treat it differently.  The barbarian is slightly less skilled in formation combat and "trick" riding but can hop on nearly anything try to make it a mount through force of will.  "Go get those Leaper Camels!"

While in my soul forever

11/03/2017 8:52 am  #7

Personally, I would not allow a class that didn't normally have it to train in horsemanship. Similarly, I would not allow a  class that didn't normally have it to train in disguise or lock picking (or turning undead or spellcasting, for that matter).

I am very protective of the prerogatives of each class, for two reasons. The first is that (IMO) allowing PCs to gain abilities from other classes encourages minmaxing, and you end up with a situation where every PC starts to look more or less the same regardless of nominal "class" (this is the biggest problem with modern editions of the game IMO). The second is that players who want to eat their cake and have it too just annoy me. If you want to play a class with horsemanship, select such a class; don't tell me you want all the benefits of playing (for example) a magician, but then you want to add horsemanship, tracking, disguise, or whatever. Not on my watch!
EDIT: I see the original question was slightly different. Yes, I would allow any fighter class to use saddle fire (if I used the advanced combat manuevers). I would not allow a non-fighter class to gain this skill.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/03/2017 8:58 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/03/2017 9:57 am  #8

Blackadder - I'm in agreement about not watering down the Classes by allowing others to gain the same benefits. In the end I allowed the Ranger to learn Saddle Fire, but at a cost of 400 GP and 4 weeks training. 

Rambling Conan Blog

11/03/2017 6:03 pm  #9

I just figure that any action not spelled out in the rules is covered by attribute checks.  If you've got Horsemanship you can do horsey stuff automatically, if not roll against whichever attribute seems most appropriate.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.