!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2017 4:28 am  #1

Gal Hills Campaign

After owning the AS&SH box set for a few years I’m finally starting a campaign using it.  It’s a little intimidating, as I haven’t run anything in a number of years, but it can’t be harder than 3rd Edition D&D, right?  As I mentioned in another thread, this will be a solo game, mixing the Scarlet Heroes system with AS&SH.  To increase the odds of survival, I’ve decided to run two characters:

Bran Macc Morann, a 1st level Neutral Male Keltic Fighter, whose village was sacked during the recent Winter.  To survive he’s become a mercenary, traveling wherever the winds take him.

Caia, a 1st level Neutral Female Common Legerdemainist, who serves an Ixian Magician in Brigand Bay.  She’s searching the Gal Hills for a reliquary, one of the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar, to bring back to her master.

The two met in Canibri, in the Northern Gal Hills, during the Belltainn Festival.  They’ve become fast friends during the celebration, which is quickly coming to a close.  Tomorrow the Festival Culminates with the annual blood sacrifice, meant to bring good fortune to Canibri for the rest of the year.

Current date: Month VII of the Year of the Wolf, Day 20.  Wish me luck!

Intricate Entity: Formless faceless and free

10/30/2017 6:39 am  #2

Re: Gal Hills Campaign

1970 wrote:

After owning the AS&SH box set for a few years I’m finally starting a campaign using it.  It’s a little intimidating, as I haven’t run anything in a number of years, but it can’t be harder than 3rd Edition D&D, right?  As I mentioned in another thread, this will be a solo game, mixing the Scarlet Heroes system with AS&SH.  To increase the odds of survival, I’ve decided to run two characters:

Bran Macc Morann, a 1st level Neutral Male Keltic Fighter, whose village was sacked during the recent Winter.  To survive he’s become a mercenary, traveling wherever the winds take him.

Caia, a 1st level Neutral Female Common Legerdemainist, who serves an Ixian Magician in Brigand Bay.  She’s searching the Gal Hills for a reliquary, one of the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar, to bring back to her master.

The two met in Canibri, in the Northern Gal Hills, during the Belltainn Festival.  They’ve become fast friends during the celebration, which is quickly coming to a close.  Tomorrow the Festival Culminates with the annual blood sacrifice, meant to bring good fortune to Canibri for the rest of the year.

Played 3.5 since it came out of publication and d20 Conan since it started in 2004 if I remember right; and I believe AS&SH is much more easier to play than 3.5; less official rules to consider, allows for game to move faster and I used the word before, but "relaxing," fit as a description.

My only problem was AC and I changed that to suit myself and the phases in combat, which I change to suit myself also. My only experience with AS&SH is as a solo gamer as well. Glasgow (Scotland), is not a gamers' paradise, one gaming shop that has to suit the needs of not just those of Glasgow but other towns which have no gaming shop in them (basically a 3rd world country when it comes to gaming).

And "GOOD LUCK!"

10/30/2017 7:21 am  #3

1970 wrote:

Great work!  I like the backgrounds you have created.  Much luck and enjoyment with the campaign!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/30/2017 7:36 am  #4

Caveman wrote:

Played 3.5 since it came out of publication and d20 Conan since it started in 2004 if I remember right; and I believe AS&SH is much more easier to play than 3.5; less official rules to consider, allows for game to move faster and I used the word before, but "relaxing," fit as a description.

My only problem was AC and I changed that to suit myself and the phases in combat, which I change to suit myself also. My only experience with AS&SH is as a solo gamer as well. Glasgow (Scotland), is not a gamers' paradise, one gaming shop that has to suit the needs of not just those of Glasgow but other towns which have no gaming shop in them (basically a 3rd world country when it comes to gaming).

And "GOOD LUCK!"

I ran 3.5 until the characters were about 6th level and then gave up.  AS&SH is much easier, at least for me, than 3.5! 
I flipped AC to ascending rather than use the FA chart and also simplified the two phase combat system as well. The second ed rules are clearer on the phased combat so I will probably......who am I kidding I'll just do it the way I always have!!!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/30/2017 3:07 pm  #5

Thanks for the well wishes!

I ran 3.0 when it first came out and almost immediately realized that it was too crunchy for my tastes, though it didn't stop me from trying anyway.  I swear I never had a group last past third level before having them all die, even though I relied on their Challenge Rating system to see me through.  I finally gave up when I spent an hour and a half designing a NPC for a Pathfinder game.  It was like a never-ending stream of math and causation.  I'd play in one of those games again, but it would take me a lot to try and run one again.

10/31/2017 5:53 am  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

Caveman wrote:

And "GOOD LUCK!"

I ran 3.5 until the characters were about 6th level and then gave up.  AS&SH is much easier, at least for me, than 3.5! 
I flipped AC to ascending rather than use the FA chart and also simplified the two phase combat system as well. The second ed rules are clearer on the phased combat so I will probably......who am I kidding I'll just do it the way I always have!!!

lol

10/31/2017 6:04 am  #7

1970 wrote:

Thanks for the well wishes!

I ran 3.0 when it first came out and almost immediately realized that it was too crunchy for my tastes, though it didn't stop me from trying anyway.  I swear I never had a group last past third level before having them all die, even though I relied on their Challenge Rating system to see me through.  I finally gave up when I spent an hour and a half designing a NPC for a Pathfinder game.  It was like a never-ending stream of math and causation.  I'd play in one of those games again, but it would take me a lot to try and run one again.

I completely agree, I have my D20 Conan forum and generated multiple characters for so-called quick play, but it takes hours to prepare and it is only easier for me; for I have plenty of time to create (being unemployed, but for those that work it must be a nuisance).

They maybe a lot of "adventurer death" in AS&SH, be sure it will happen, but it a lot more easier to create characters that thinking about feats and skill points. Also when I played AD&D, same thing if the fellows managed to reach third level, it was amazing, I GM brutally, though this was 35+ years ago and feel I a little more considerate to player's needs, haha, though when the frenzy occurs, many die!!!

I think you will greatly enjoy AS&SH!

10/31/2017 9:53 am  #8

The week had been a good one; Belltainn celebrations are almost always a good time.  Caia, who had never experienced a Keltic Belltainn, threw herself into the festival whole heartedly.  Brann, being more reserved, spent most of his time drinking, only joining the festivities when Caia could rouse him.  The hour was late, and tomorrow was the annual sacrifice, followed by a great feast!  Everyone in town was excited, and none slept very steadily.  But sleep they did.

As morning breaks, the village is in a panic!  The town was ablaze!  Bandits of some sort had rode into town and committed several acts of arson, leaving chaos in its wake.  After the initial calamity, bucket brigades were formed and, after some hours, what was left of Canibri was salvaged.  After a quick headcount, it is discovered that Taran, the officiating Druid, was not among the living nor the dead.  He must have been kidnapped!

A search party was hastily formed and sent off to look for the Druid, axes and pitchforks in hand.  As Caia and Brann finished equipping themselves to follow, an old woodsman stopped them.  This man, Dughall, was convinced that the mob went in the opposite direction as the bandits!  He implores our heroes to follow him to an old cave he knew of, where he supposes the bandits rode off to.  Furthermore, the bandits had killed Dughall’s only son in the initial raid, and wants revenge!  The companions, seeing the fire in the woodsman’s eyes, decide to follow.

After hours of walking, the cave entrance was in sight.  Horses were tied outside the cave; the old woodsman was right!  Dughall swears under his breath, saying that he’s simply too old to carry on the fight, though he dearly would like to.  Brann comforts the old man as only one who has lost as much could before sending him back to Canibri.  They watch Dughall walk back until he crosses over a distant hill before Caia begins to quietly scout ahead to the mouth of the cave...

10/31/2017 11:23 am  #9

Sneaking into the cave, Caia moved like a cat… with pans tied to its tail, alerting the entrance guards to her and Brann’s presence.  Even so, the Fighter made quick work of his slightly groggy opponents, cleaving them into oblivion with his great sword.  Looking at Caia, he grimly looked to the North, where the path plainly laid.

After discovering a storeroom off to the side, the pair found themselves at a closed door.  Listening intently, Caia heard the sounds of revelry: drunken singing and dice games being played.  Bursting in the door, Brann once more hacked and slayed the unsuspecting men, whose only consolation is that they were probably too drunk to feel much pain or fear.

Moving down an Eastern passage, they find a trio of doors.  Hearing nothing to the East, they turned North and listened at that door.  Once again hearing silence, they open the door and are surprised to see a man and a large dog!  A lengthy melee ensued, leaving man and dog dead and Brann with a nasty wound to his side.  Taking a moment to bandage himself up, the companions left the room and headed to the Southern door.

Once again Caia heard nothing, and the door was opened, surprising a small group of bandits cleaning weapons and eating.  Brann charged into the men, easily killing them all.  After a quick search, a small chest was found, and after some prodding, Caia was able to coax it into giving up its belongings… GOLD!  Unfortunately, time was off the essence, so they left the chest where it was to continue looking for the Druid.

After some quick door checking, the pair found themselves back in front of the storeroom, with a tunnel greeting them to the West.  Following the long passage, they pass stalactites before entering a large room filled ankle-deep with stagnant water.  As they searched, a pair of giant spiders leapt upon them!  Caia was wounded, but the beast’s poison held no danger for her.  The fight was hard, as they were in the dark with only a sliver of light from the previous passage to guide their blades, but victory was once again theirs!

Shuddering at the inherent creepiness of having fought the creepy-crawlies, they weaved their way back to the more familiar hallways.  Moving north, they find themselves in front of a pair of doors.  Caia attempts to listen at the first door, but hears nothing.  Opening the door, they are greeted by three bandits brandishing their weapons and certainly not entertaining healthy thoughts for our heroes.  Melee was joined, and Brann once again took the fight to the enemy with prejudice.  While searching the room, they hear a dog barking at the doorway, followed by a voice telling it to kill them!

For the second time in this room battle was joined!  This opponent, however, was much more skilled than his companions and perhaps, quietly, Brann thought this man to be his better.  Still after grievous wounds were meted out, both man and hound ley dead upon the floor.  Breathing heavily, the pair sunk to the floor and began bandaging their wounds before moving on.

Moving into an empty room, Caia and Brann soon realized that they had searched the entire complex without finding the Druid!  Perhaps they missed something.  Without an idea of where Taran would have been taken to beyond the caves, Caia suggests that perhaps there were hidden doors they had missed.  Brann nodded and the two went about retracing their steps.

Fortunately, it was not long before fortune shined upon them and a secret door was found.  Nodding to one another, the two made way through the door and up a hallway.  Soon, they found themselves upon another door.  Caia made her way to the entrance to listen while Brann took up the rear… only to find the ground move beneath him, sending him falling into a pit!  Swearing, he picked himself up and started searching his pack for his rope to throw up to his companion.

Meanwhile, Caia was alone when the door opened and an armored man stepped out and attacked.  Yelping, Caia tried her best to fight the man off while Brann struggled to climb the walls to help her.  Only her training in magic saved the Ledgerdemainist from certain death.  Afterward, eventually, Brann found his was put of the pit and the two travelled on.

Moving forward, the two round a corner and are surprised to find an open room.  Within was an dominating Viking man sitting on a makeshift throne.  To his side was a tall robed man and in front was a hulking lion!  Laughing, the Viking issues a command and the lion surged forward to attack, seeming to favor Caia.  Caia was able to wound the beast before it lept upon her striking with its claws and raking with its hind legs.  Coming to his friend’s defense, Brann struck out at the cat, wounding it once more.

Seeing his pet being slowly butchered, the Viking arose from his seat and barreled toward Brann, striking him in the chest with a mighty swing of his battle axe.  Meanwhile, the robed man began to weave strange magics leaving a shimmering glow about him.  Then, chanting a different incantation, he threw a bolt of energy at Brann, striking the Kelt Fighter on the shoulder.  Immediately the wound began to burn not only his skin, but his armor as well!  For his part, the Viking laughed and predicted Brann’s doom.

After pushing the lion to her side Caia was finally able to pierce its chest with her long sword, killing it.  Grimly looking toward the Magician, she moved forward to join battle with him.  Knowing that he would probably not get to cast another spell, he drew a dagger from his sleeve and prepared for her attack.

Joining battle with the wizard, Caia soon realized that this fight would not be an easy one.  Every time she struck at him her blows hit the magical field that protected him!  For his part, the Magician was every bit as skilled as one would expect a man of learning to be, which is to say not at all.  Though his dagger left tracers like ice in its wake, it never tasted blood.  The two traded useless blows, though Caia’s subtle magics slowly wore the wizard down.  Suddenly, be broke off the engagement, deftly avoiding a parting blow from Caia before swiftly casting a spell that rendered him invisible to the eye.

Feeling that the wizard would not return, Caia looked toward her friend.  The beleaguered Brann was slowly losing his fight.  The Viking struck savagely at him time and again, yet was able to avoid the Kelt’s best blows.  Successfully sneaking up on the savage, she let loose with her sword, only to have her blade bounce helplessly against the Viking’s armor.

Still, as a pair the tides of battle eventually turned until finally Brann’s sword struck true and nearly cleaved his foe in half.  Beaten and bloodied, the two made a cursory search for the Magician before turning toward the remaining rooms.

Two of the remaining rooms were private abodes, presumably for the Viking and his wizard.  Behind the third door was the beaten and shackled body of Taran!  The Druid had been found!  He didn’t look in good shape however.  While Caia checked to make sure he was alive, Brann broke the shackles with a swing of his sword.  Finding Taran alive and well enough to travel, the trio left the caves and headed back toward Canabri…

10/31/2017 11:46 am  #10

After arriving back at Canabri, the worried and crestfallen villagers rejoiced at the Druid’s return, though their joy was tinged with sadness and even a little anger.  They had lost much, even with what they thought was Yoon’Deh’s blessing.  Eventually they even told Taran as such, though it was with guarded tongues.  Her blessings may not be infinite the Druid counseled, but asked instead if they would rather risk the goddess’ wrath by both denying her sacrifice and simultaneously profaning her.  Those doubting villagers decided that placation would be the better part of valor, and started preparing the sacrificial boar.

The rest of the night was spent in subdued religious observance and feasting.  While the battle was won and a good portion of the village was saved, the wounds were obviously too fresh to make this a happy ending.  In fact, the only thing that seemed to console them was the brutally detailed tale of the brigands’ demise.  The final satisfaction was Dughall’s satisfied nod as he drowned his sorrows in ale.

During the pair’s recuperation, they spoke frequently with Taran.  For his part, he admits being kidnapped for his secret treasure, which the Magician was keen on obtaining.  For her part, Caia shared her mission with the Druid.  He did not know of which she spoke, but suggested they journey to Alcastra the Fairspoken’s tower.  She was an arch magus he explained, but also a Hyperborean, and therefore not to be entirely trusted.  Still, if anyone in the Gal Hills would know of the Teeth, it would be her.  Nodding to themselves, Caia and Brann began planning the next part of their quest.

10/31/2017 8:11 pm  #11

1970 wrote:

After owning the AS&SH box set for a few years I’m finally starting a campaign using it.  It’s a little intimidating, as I haven’t run anything in a number of years

Sounds exciting, man! If you have any questions, we’ll all be happy to help. Keep the posts coming, as well. Like I told measuredrums, people might not always respons, but you have more readers than you think. 

1970 wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread, this will be a solo game

How does that work, 1970? You set up scenarios, run the PCs through it as would make sense and roll for both sides?

1970 wrote:

Sounds like a classic combo!

1970  wrote:

Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/01/2017 4:50 am  #12

Chainsaw wrote:

1970 wrote:

After owning the AS&SH box set for a few years I’m finally starting a campaign using it.  It’s a little intimidating, as I haven’t run anything in a number of years

Sounds exciting, man! If you have any questions, we’ll all be happy to help. Keep the posts coming, as well. Like I told measuredrums, people might not always respons, but you have more readers than you think.

1970 wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread, this will be a solo game

How does that work, 1970? You set up scenarios, run the PCs through it as would make sense and roll for both sides?

1970 wrote:

Sounds like a classic combo!

1970  wrote:

Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Right now the solo game is working pretty much as you guessed.  Scarlet Heroes has an engine for running a small number of characters through most modules while giving them a reasonable chance for survival.  Aside from the mechanical aspects of the game, everything else is currently completely self-driven narrative.  I write the story as the game progresses so long as it makes sense.  Eventually I'll add a simple oracle to add more randomness to the game as opposed to storytelling, but right now everything is working out all right.

And thanks for your well wishes!

11/01/2017 9:39 am  #13

Copied this, I enjoy a good story, especially in Hyperborea!

11/01/2017 2:32 pm  #14

Glad you liked it.  It didn't seem very Hyperborean to me, but I'll get the flavor as I go.

11/02/2017 11:57 am  #15

Yes, the more layers to the story, just as you did adding locations as Gal Hills, cultures associated with Hyperborea, etc. does generate a feeling to relate to. My Grey Coast stuff feels more connected the more I add related stuff, generating poetry to descried the land around you including named location was one thing I enjoyed to create more realism!

8/26/2018 6:59 pm  #16

Hey.

I know it’s been nearly a year since I started this journal I’ve decided to pick the game up again.  I had tried to use the Mythic GM Emulator, but I’m not quite smart enough to make it work for me, so I laid the whole thing down.  Fast forward and I find these Rory’s Story Cubes via a solo gaming G+ group and they have worked much better for me.  After looking around my home for different games to try them with with no luck, I remembered I had this AS&SH game in limbo.  I feel much more comfortable with the campaign now, so I did a quick session to see how my flashy new dice worked out.

To continue the saga of Brann MaccMorann and Caia…

Several days after leaving Canabri, the pair hear a piercing howl cut through the daylit plains.  Wanting to see what was going on without rushing headlong into the unknown, they ride cautiously toward what they would discover to be the sounds of a one-sided battle.  Feasting on the remains of what looked like a small adventuring party was a huge half-owl, half-bear thing, seemingly unaware of the couple’s presence.  Off to the side of the grizzly scene was what appeared to be the ruins of a small shrine.

Knowing that one they moved the creature would probably pick up on them, Brann loaded his crossbow and fired a shot, wounding the owlbear!  With a shriek, it charged them.  Brann was able to fire off one or two more shots, but neither hit their mark.  After that the beast crashed into the Kelt, swiping a claw to his side and biting his horse’s leg off, sending the creature toppling over on top of the fighter!  Things looked grim, but Caia distracted the owlbear long enough to let Brann pull himself from under his horse’s corpse and kill it.

Thoroughly mauled, Brann limped his way to the open shrine and started bandaging his wounds.  Meanwhile, Caia searched the bodies, finding only a few pieces of electrum and a map!  After Brann was sure his insides wouldn’t ooze out of his wounds, they looked at it, discovering, to their surprise, it actually led to this very shrine!  Caia cased the small ruin and found a loose stone which, when removed, revealed an old ladder.  Shrugging, they crept down into the darkness.

Caia lit a torch, and found herself in a large underground lair, thick with moisture and webs.  Fearing a repeat of her experience in the bandit caves near Canabri, she turned to Brann only to be jumped by two crab spiders!  Only one struck her, but she felt its venom course through her veins and her heart speeding up.  Steadying herself, she was able to see Brann take down both spiders with his claymore.  After her vision steadied she took another look around the hidden room.  Shuddering, she saw a sacrificial alter, stained with ages old blood and gore covered with tiny spiders.

Approaching carefully, she took off her cloak to gently brush away the arachnids to find a strange black dagger seemingly dedicated to Tlakk-Nakka, the Spider Goddess.  Eventually, her greed overcame her fear and she carefully picked up the weapon and secreted it away on her person.  If she felt a chill when doing so, she told no one.

Leaving the sacrificial room for daylight once more, the pair catch their breath and shake the webs from their clothes before making way once more towards Alcastra’s sanctum.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.