!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2017 3:47 pm  #1

First few albums/cassettes you owned?

Born 1978

- Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction
- Poison, Look What the Cat Dragged In
- Def Leppard, Hysteria
- Metallica, Black Album
- Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/15/2017 2:40 pm  #2

Re: First few albums/cassettes you owned?

Born 1973; here's my progression in roughly chronological order of my deepening descent into the world of heavy metal:

​Cinderella, Night Songs
AC/DC, Who Made Who
Twisted Sister, Stay Hungry
Judas Priest, Turbo
​Ozzy Osbourne, The Ultimate Sin
Iron Maiden, Piece of Mind
​Metallica, Creeping Death EP
​Iron Maiden, Somewhere in Time
Metallica, Master of Puppets

...and the rest is history.

7/15/2017 7:25 pm  #3

except for the Pink Floyd, I have owned every album listed in the first two posts. 

Born 1966. Spent the 70's growing up on Country, Top 40, and radio rock (ELO, Journey, 38 Special).
8th grade year I met a tenth-grader who turned me on to everything from Ted Nugent to Led Zeppelin to Pick Floyd. 

First album owned was QUEEN The Game, which I requested and received Christmas 8th grade year. 
From there it escalated quickly from hard rock into Heavy Metal:
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock & Back in Black
Def Leppard - Pyromania
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Ozzy - Blizzard of Oz & Diary of a Madman
HEAVY METAL Motion Picture Soundtrack
Quiet Riot - Metal Health
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
KISS - Lick It Up
ACCEPT - Balls to the Wall
DIO - The Last in Line (then backtracked and got Holy Diver)
Dokken - Tooth & Nail
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
KISS - Animalize
ACCEPT - Restless & Wild
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
ACCEPT - Metal Heart
Judas Priest - Turbo
DIO - Sacred Heart
Metal Church - The Dark (then backtracked and got the debut)
RAVEN - All For One
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
SLAYER - Hell Awaits
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

...and the rest is history.

"We're always creating rules in the tacit pursuit of verisimilitude. This is a valid and noble pursuit.
But for some of us, that's a false idol. We harken to a different song." - Frank Mentzer, 2017

7/16/2017 10:17 am  #4

The first album (record) I bought with my own money was Adam Ant - Friend or Foe.

Last edited by Scalydemon (7/16/2017 10:19 am)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

7/16/2017 11:47 am  #5

B. 1974

I grew up with my dad listening to what is now called a "classic rock" station, so I was hearing the good stuff at an early age. 
Somewhere between the ages of 10-12 and dad came home from a garage sale with a case of cassettes, all but one were garbage. The one that I kept, ie my first cassette that I owned:

I heard the opening riff of Whole Lotta Love and I was hooked. 

7/16/2017 10:09 pm  #6

Born 1955.

My very first album was Led Zeppelin's first.  I don't remember for sure after that.  May have been The Beatles' white album.  Led Zeppelin II.  Grand Funk Live.  Sergant Pepper's.  Tommy. 

All vinyl.

Last edited by ThornPlutonius (10/23/2017 6:57 pm)

7/18/2017 10:54 am  #7

My very first cassette was Fair Warning, by Van Halen. My first vinyl was Number of the Beast, by Iron Maiden. It's a blur after that. The thing was, my old brother had a dual-cassette boom box, so he used to buy stuff and I used to buy blank tapes and record his stuff. I remember he had the Queensryche EP before anyone had heard of them, so I followed up by purchasing The Warning on vinyl when it came out. The tables turned once I got my paper route, because my obsession with music was much greater than his, so soon he was taping my stuff as I introduced him to Metallica, Mercyful Fate, and many others. I was buying Metal Edge magazine and learning about all the cool stuff. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/18/2017 4:51 pm  #8

Born 1969.

First songs I remember hearing as a kid:  The Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (on AM radio BITD)

First concert as a kid:  The Beach Boys at Mann Music Center in Philly in 1975 or 1976.

First cassette albums (I didn't own much music in any media until I went away to college [PP&M's Puff the Magic Dragon excepted, I think], and I copied these 2 tapes from my younger brother before leaving for Penn State, which opened up my musical vistas exponentially)
- Genesis/Genesis backed with The Police/Synchronicity
- the first tape I remember buying new in college was The Cars' Greatest Hits and Men At Work's Business as Usual

First concert as a teen/in college:  Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe's ABWH tour in Philly and Atlantic City

First CD albums (college):
- Hawkwind's Chronicle of the Black Sword
- Jon & Vangelis' 3 albums:  Short Stories, The Friends of Mr. Cairo, Private Collection

Allan.

Last edited by grodog (7/18/2017 4:57 pm)

10/23/2017 6:47 am  #9

Born 1974.

It started with vinyls of Micheal Jackson's Thriller and Weird Al Yankovic's In 3-D.

Then cassettes of the B-52's Mesopotamia and Weird Al Yankovic's Polka Party.

After a while a friend told me I needed to check out Metallica, so I wound up with Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All.  Somewhere along the way I got a bootleg of Anthrax's I'm the Man single and discovered King Diamond's Them and Conspiracy.  Yeah, it went something like that, I think.

Intricate Entity: Formless faceless and free

10/23/2017 12:27 pm  #10

Born 1968

First album (vinyl) I bought with my own money ... KiSS - Double Platinum (1978) ... somehow from there, my next album purchase didn't occur until 1980 with Loverboy's debut album ... we didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

10/23/2017 6:54 pm  #11

Ooops.  Forgot and didn't notice I'd already posted my answer.  /laugh/

Don't read this post!

Last edited by ThornPlutonius (10/23/2017 6:58 pm)

10/27/2017 12:09 pm  #12

'67

My first self-purchased album (vinyl): AC/DC - Back in Black

My first concert: Rush - Grace Under Pressure tour, Providence, RI

My first 8-track: VH - Fair Warning (that one's for Ghul ;) )

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

10/27/2017 12:14 pm  #13

measuredrums wrote:

... we didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

Yep, same here! We'd get packs of 120 minute blank cassettes and record the local rock radio stations. I was such a pirate back then...

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

10/28/2017 5:25 am  #14

foxroe wrote:

measuredrums wrote:

... we didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, so I listened to a lot of radio at the time.

Yep, same here! We'd get packs of 120 minute blank cassettes and record the local rock radio stations. I was such a pirate back then...

When I was in my 20s money pretty much stopped.  A friend and I got around it by starting a punk rock 'zine and got indie labels to send us free music in exchange for reviews.  Some of it was even good!

10/28/2017 9:56 am  #15

1970 wrote:

A friend and I got around it by starting a punk rock 'zine and got indie labels to send us free music in exchange for reviews.  Some of it was even good!

Nice! Any 7 Seconds? They were just starting to become popular back then. Caught a couple of their shows in my youth - pretty darn good from what I remember.

10/28/2017 1:10 pm  #16

I think the most famous band we got samples for was Rich Kids on LSD.  I was surprised that Epitaph even read our letter, much less actually send anything.

Loves me some 7 Seconds though.  They hold up well, IMO.  Still making music too, if I remember right.

11/01/2017 12:48 pm  #17

Born 1969

Kiss Alive! was the first album I bought with my own money, followed by 2112.

11/29/2017 6:33 pm  #18

Distilled and bottled in 1971...
Record - Van Halen, 1984
Cassette - Guns N Roses, Appetite for Destruction
CD - Van Halen, 5150

9/20/2018 9:45 pm  #19

Born 1973

The first record was a 45 single of Say Say Say by Paul McCartney/Michael Jackson 1983

Last edited by achiriaco (9/24/2018 9:37 am)

9/24/2018 1:10 am  #20

1st album (cassette) - Beauty and the Beat - The Go-Go's
2nd album (cassette) - Oh No!  It's DEVO! - Devo

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.