!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2017 8:20 am  #1

Hyperborean Encounter Tables 2!

Ever wanted to let your players just hex crawl all over Hyperborea? Here are the tools you've been lacking. Customized encounter tables for every region, city, and body of water listed in the gazetteer. These suckers have it all: Monsters of every kind. Weather. Natural disasters. Human encounters from individual NPCs to pilgrims and merchants to armed patrols to rival adventuring parties. THE DREADED CELESTIAL PHENOMENA (now with new horrors like "Fortean Fall", "Voice of Doom", "Seas Turned to Blood", and "White Death"). Hundreds of different possible encounters in every region!

This version is completely updated for AS&SH 2E, including:

* All the new monsters, classes. and geographical regions. Any monster that possibly be met outside a dungeon is on the tables now.

* Terrain tables now correspond to the terrain types on the new color Hyperborea map.

* Separate tables for regular, coastal, and desert settlements, for customized encounters.

* Lots of little changes and fixes (e.g., NPC levels are now mostly generated on a bell curve, so 1st and 2nd are common and 11th and 12th are very rare).

* And more!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lakvi70ow2n9mf3/Hyperborean_Encounter_Tables_II.pdf

Last edited by Blackadder23 (10/27/2017 8:24 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/27/2017 8:40 am  #2

Re: Hyperborean Encounter Tables 2!

Nice! Great resource, thanks!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/27/2017 8:46 am  #3

Fantastic dude! Thanks for sharing this.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

10/27/2017 8:59 am  #4

Great I need to update my Roland tables...

I mean EXCELLENT NEWS EVERYONE! :-)

good work man.

What? Me worry?

10/27/2017 9:38 am  #5

Can't wait to comb through it, BA23!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/27/2017 10:26 am  #6

Thank you so much!

10/27/2017 11:11 am  #7

Thanks guys!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/27/2017 2:46 pm  #8

Thanks for the update.  Amazing resource!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/28/2017 6:17 am  #9

Cheers Ben, great work!

10/29/2017 12:51 pm  #10

Thanks!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/01/2017 3:44 pm  #11

Wow - these tables are great.  Thanks!

11/03/2017 8:38 am  #12

You're welcome.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/03/2017 10:10 am  #13

Blackadder - I love these tables so much that I want to translate them over to my Hyborian Age campaign. 
You have a great grasp on the Hyperborean setting. If you get time, I'd like to know which areas of Hyperborea most closely resemble these terrain types:
Steppes (Zamora), Desert (some of Shem, Stygia, and the Eastern desert), Jungle (Khitai, some of the Pictish Wilderness, the Black Kingdoms), Standard medieval landscapes (Most Hyborian kingdoms), Desert Steppes (Hyrkania/Turan), Wilderness (Pictland), Cold Hills (Cimmeria, some Hyperborea), and frozen north (Nordheim) 

Nothing too in depth, just any thoughts you have.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

11/03/2017 10:18 am  #14

Grimmshade wrote:

Blackadder - I love these tables so much that I want to translate them over to my Hyborian Age campaign. 
You have a great grasp on the Hyperborean setting. If you get time, I'd like to know which areas of Hyperborea most closely resemble these terrain types:
Steppes (Zamora), Desert (some of Shem, Stygia, and the Eastern desert), Jungle (Khitai, some of the Pictish Wilderness, the Black Kingdoms), Standard medieval landscapes (Most Hyborian kingdoms), Desert Steppes (Hyrkania/Turan), Wilderness (Pictland), Cold Hills (Cimmeria, some Hyperborea), and frozen north (Nordheim) 

Do you mean resemble them ecologically or demographically?

Either way, Pictland would be the Savage Boreal Coast. There aren't really any jungle areas in Hyperborea ("rainforest" appears to refer to temperate rainforest like that found in the Pacific Northwest).

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/03/2017 10:19 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/03/2017 11:37 am  #15

Ecologically (I believe), in that they would contain roughly the same type of encounters as those areas in the Hyborian Age.
Again, don't spend a lot of time, but any knowledge you have would help.

Last edited by Grimmshade (11/03/2017 11:38 am)

Rambling Conan Blog

11/03/2017 12:52 pm  #16

Grimmshade wrote:

I would use the Khromarium table for most cities, and probably the Dunwich table for most towns/villages (with appropriate substitutions for Kelts).
For Zamora I would use the Kimmerian Steppe table with Kimmerians replaced by Zamorans.
For Shem and Stygia I would use the Scythium table with Ixians replaced by Shemites or Stygians. Fazzuum could stand in for Stygian cities.
For the Black Kingdoms I would use the Savage Boreal Coast table with half-blood Picts replaced by the locals.
For Pictland I would use the Savage Boreal Coast table with full-blooded Picts.
For most Hyborian kingdoms I would use the Brigand's Bay table with the sarcasm marks removed from the word "noble" (or maybe not).
For Hyrkania and Turan I would use the Kimmerian Steppe table with Kimmerians replaced by Hyrkanians or Turanians.
For Cimmeria I would use the Fields of Vol with Kimmerians and Kimmeri-Kelts replaced by Cimmerians.
For Nordheim I would use Vikland with Vikings replaced by their supposed ancestors.
For a generic terrain area I would use the Alus Mercury table (which is very generic, since Jeff didn't really specify any encounter types for it in the gazetteer) and then use the appropriate column of the current terrain table.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/03/2017 12:53 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/03/2017 4:38 pm  #17

Blackadder - That is amazing! Thanks man! Is it ok if I eventually add your notes to my Hyborian Age ASSH conversion document? (With a link to your Encounters download) Full credit to you of course.

Rambling Conan Blog

11/05/2017 1:22 pm  #18

Do whatever you like.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/14/2017 1:44 pm  #19

BA23, I paginated and bookmarked the version that I DLed. Would that be of any use to you? I can e-mail it to you if you want.

12/15/2017 12:58 pm  #20

Handy Haversack wrote:

BA23, I paginated and bookmarked the version that I DLed. Would that be of any use to you? I can e-mail it to you if you want.

Sexy!

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.