!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2017 4:16 pm  #1

How many are starting a new campaign with the 2nd edition?

I was curious as to how many folks on the forum are starting a new campaign with the 2nd edition of AS&SH coming out.  I would also like to know where their current campaign is taking place on Hyperborea and if that will change with the new campaign.

For my experience the characters have spent 5 real years using the area around Khromarium as their base of operations.  I was thinking of having more of a freebooter campaign moving from Brigands Bay to Port Zangerios and around the Eastern Islands. 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/11/2017 5:22 pm  #2

Re: How many are starting a new campaign with the 2nd edition?

November 11 I start a new AS&SH campaign.

10/11/2017 5:57 pm  #3

Hoping to find time for it! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/11/2017 11:50 pm  #4

I was thinking about starting an OD&D campaign set in Hyperborea, then house-ruling it to death until we were playing 2ed AS&SH... the players wouldn't even know what hit them... and I wouldn't want to be hit by that book.

OT: Does anyone have any experience in running AS&SH for complete RPG newbies? Did you attempt to simplify things even further, or did you throw your player's to the wolves? How'd it go?

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

10/12/2017 12:14 am  #5

Haven't really done anything gaming wise in what feels like forever. Started getting the itch again the last couple of days. Think I'm finally going to start working in earnest on Alus Mercury, it's been percolating in my mind for a long time now.

I'm sure all this talk of, and growing excitement in waiting for the 2nd edition to arrive helped get the juices flowing. Hopefully I get something good enough worked out that I might even run it at home or online or at a convention. We shall see.

10/12/2017 8:24 am  #6

I wish I could.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/12/2017 8:43 am  #7

francisca wrote:

Awesome!  Face to face or Roll 20 type of thing?  Regardless, much luck to you, I'm sure it will be fantastic.

While in my soul forever

10/12/2017 8:46 am  #8

Chainsaw wrote:

Hoping to find time for it!

Not sure how you find time for anything given work and a young family but I hope you manage to make it happen!

While in my soul forever

10/12/2017 8:53 am  #9

foxroe wrote:

OT: Does anyone have any experience in running AS&SH for complete RPG newbies? Did you attempt to simplify things even further, or did you throw your player's to the wolves? How'd it go?

I had two RPG newbies in my first campaign and I threw them to the wolves. They got lots of help from the persons next to them but caught on quickly.  At conventions I strip away lots of the system rules that I use at home.  I want them to have a fun experience and buy the game rather than a mediocre time because I slowed the game to teach rules.

While in my soul forever

10/12/2017 8:54 am  #10

capitalbill wrote:

Haven't really done anything gaming wise in what feels like forever. Started getting the itch again the last couple of days. Think I'm finally going to start working in earnest on Alus Mercury, it's been percolating in my mind for a long time now.

I'm sure all this talk of, and growing excitement in waiting for the 2nd edition to arrive helped get the juices flowing. Hopefully I get something good enough worked out that I might even run it at home or online or at a convention. We shall see.

Please do and run at GaryCon!!!

While in my soul forever

10/12/2017 8:59 am  #11

Blackadder23 wrote:

I wish I could.

I wish you lived near Maryland!

While in my soul forever

10/12/2017 10:02 am  #12

I've just started a new campaign, so almost by default, we're using 2nd Edition. I'm planning on running a mish-mash campaign. I'm going to use a couple classic AD&D/D&D modules with proper AS&SH modules as well, all set in Hyperborea proper. We're just finishing up 'Rats in the Walls', then hopefully a side excursion to Swampgate via 'The Black Moss-Hag of Lug' ... from there, into 'Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes' ... then, whilst in the Diamond Desert, finding 'The Lost City' and tackling that, and finally onto a hacked 'Desert of Desolation' ... I know this sounds ambitious (and players being players, may very well go entirely off the rails), but, if all goes as planned should be quite the ride for everyone. I've started a thread in the Campaign section if anyone cares to follow along.

10/12/2017 10:18 am  #13

mabon5127 wrote:

francisca wrote:

Awesome!  Face to face or Roll 20 type of thing?  Regardless, much luck to you, I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Face to face.

Plan is to have monthly 10-12 hour sessions.

10/12/2017 10:28 am  #14

measuredrums wrote:

I've just started a new campaign, so almost by default, we're using 2nd Edition. I'm planning on running a mish-mash campaign. I'm going to use a couple classic AD&D/D&D modules with proper AS&SH modules as well, all set in Hyperborea proper. We're just finishing up 'Rats in the Walls', then hopefully a side excursion to Swampgate via 'The Black Moss-Hag of Lug' ... from there, into 'Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes' ... then, whilst in the Diamond Desert, finding 'The Lost City' and tackling that, and finally onto a hacked 'Desert of Desolation' ... I know this sounds ambitious (and players being players, may very well go entirely off the rails), but, if all goes as planned should be quite the ride for everyone. I've started a thread in the Campaign section if anyone cares to follow along.

Sounds great actually.  Lots done already taking the pressure off.

While in my soul forever

10/12/2017 11:39 am  #15

mabon5127 wrote:

... Lots done already taking the pressure off.

Yeah, obviously Jeff's AS&SH stuff is ready to run straight from the book ... but, 'The Lost City' & the 'DoD' stuff have taken/are going to take a bit of work to get where I want them ... but, yeah, still far less work than there would be for me coming up with material from whole cloth ... which is a good thing, because with my current life/work/school balance, if that was the case, I'd never get to play.

10/12/2017 11:50 am  #16

mabon5127 wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

I wish I could.

I wish you lived near Maryland!

Thanks. That means a lot.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/12/2017 12:44 pm  #17

I am in the process of starting a new campaign in Hyperborea, but will be using the Mythras rules instead of the AS&SH rules.  Setting details will be pretty much out of the new book (already grooving on the weather rules).  Sorcery will come from the exquisite Mythras-based "Monster Island" sandbox as will the campiagn's serpent and lizard folk.

I deeply respect Ghul's d20 rules set, but just am not into the d20 level/class sort of gaming right now.  If I ever return to it, AS&SH is going to be high on my list of rules for it.

10/12/2017 1:44 pm  #18

ThornPlutonius wrote:

I am in the process of starting a new campaign in Hyperborea, but will be using the Mythras rules instead of the AS&SH rules.  Setting details will be pretty much out of the new book (already grooving on the weather rules).  Sorcery will come from the exquisite Mythras-based "Monster Island" sandbox as will the campiagn's serpent and lizard folk.

I deeply respect Ghul's d20 rules set, but just am not into the d20 level/class sort of gaming right now.  If I ever return to it, AS&SH is going to be high on my list of rules for it.

Great rule-set though my book says RuneQuest.   IMO the classes are the best thing about the AS&SH system as they flow straight from the Hyperborean paradigm.  I'd be interested too hear how it all works out!

While in my soul forever

10/12/2017 2:02 pm  #19

mabon5127 wrote:

/snippage
Great rule-set though my book says RuneQuest.   IMO the classes are the best thing about the AS&SH system as they flow straight from the Hyperborean paradigm.  I'd be interested too hear how it all works out!

I will create a thread in the campaign section when I get/make time to focus on the work.  We already started the Monster Island sandbox play a few weeks ago, the PCs arriving on the island after fleeing the mainland under circumstances not under their control and not knowing where the ship was heading.

10/12/2017 4:19 pm  #20

If I get it in time (gnomes willing) I will run it at the local game store for Halloween. Otherwise I will kick off a home campaign as it comes.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.