!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2014 3:29 am  #1

Thorgal

Have any of you gentlemen read this masterpiece?

Thorgal is a Belgian comic book series by writer Jean van Hamme and artist Grezegorz Rosiński. It first appeared in the late 70's and blends together elements of sci-fi with Norse mythology and fantasy. It has been published in English through Cinebook Ltd.

Thorgal is the last child of a group of technologically advanced space-travelling humans with psionic abilities. He is raised on earth by vikings and shows no signs of his ancestors supernatural powers, but is a viking warrior. As he later marries and raises a family, his son inherits powers the powers that his father does not have which causes more adventures. His adventures focus not only on his ancestry, but are also mythological as he is cursed by the norse gods because he doesn't belong. Thorgal also becomes the center of attraction for several willful and powerful women. (One of them, the rouge archer avenger Kriss of Valnor is the series best character IMO, she even has her own spin-off)

Personally i think Thorgal is one of the finest fantasy works around and it is a continuing inspiration for me. The way it blends science fiction technology with fantasy sort of reminded me of AS&SH. Vikings being my favorite people in Hyperborea also makes Thorgal relevant.

Last edited by Crisippo (4/04/2014 3:29 am)

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

4/04/2014 8:04 am  #2

Re: Thorgal

Huh. Never even heard of it, Crisippo. Thanks for the tip, though!

4/04/2014 8:33 am  #3

Ditto, first time i've heard of this one. Sound pretty crazy, i'll definitely look it up!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/04/2014 4:54 pm  #4

Indeed quite a classic, though I don't know how the new writers compare to Van Hamme.

4/05/2014 4:56 pm  #5

I'm glad to have spread the word about this series. Hope you check it out and tell me about it

Odysseus wrote:

Indeed quite a classic, though I don't know how the new writers compare to Van Hamme.

I can only speak for the Yves Sentes stories (the continuation of the main Thorgal series and the Kriss of Valnor spin-off) which i feel are one par with Van Hamme's work. There seems to be a drift towards more traditional fantasy/mythology and less of the sci-fi stuff, but i still like the series a lot.

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

4/06/2014 7:23 am  #6

Thank you for that. I'll try to give it a try here or once I'll be back in France.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.