!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2017 10:52 am  #1

Religion in Khromarium

Hey guys, I have a two part question for you. First of all, how would you rank the popularity of religions in Khromarium? Obviously the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy is #1 but who do you think is #2 and so on? I suppose the rankings could swap from time to time but the top five should be consistent.

My second question is how do you imagine the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy?

What kind of dogma are they pushing and what is the expected behavior of believers? Maybe the only prescribed behavior is "praise Xathoqqua" and an ever-changing laundry list of mostly inconsequential behavior to avoid or pursue.

In my game, there are a few notable things about the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy. Just about every home, business, and institution has at least an idol to the toad-sloth. The Orthodoxy holds decadent, almost obscene amounts of wealth that it displays with shameless ostentation. It wields considerable influence and the High Patriarch is counted among the most powerful members of the Oligarchy.

Did I mention the glorious hats? They really are something else. The festivals are pretty awesome, too. In fact I'm guessing that the amazing hats, festivals, and a lassez faire dogma account for a lot of the toad-sloth's popularity.

The inquisitors of the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy ruthlessly hunt down heretics, mutants, necromancers and daemonologists to burn at the stake at in front of great crowds each month. Some say the Orthodoxy disposes of enemies in this manner but only a filthy heretic would say that, right?

Oh, and no female clergy allowed. Because reasons.

I'd really like to hear your vision on religion in Khromarium and specifically  the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy. This discussion is important to me and will help grant my game a degree of verisimilitude. Thanks

Last edited by Brock Savage (10/01/2017 12:36 pm)

10/01/2017 2:31 pm  #2

Re: Religion in Khromarium

My take is that the whole thing is another one of Xathoqqua's elaborate practical jokes and that he's actually encouraging infighting among the high clergy.  Lower level clergy either walk a tightrope between the factions, or else find excuses for spending time away from Khromarium.  At the lay level it's probably just a matter of "keep calm and chew lotus", as long as you stay clear of the politics you'll be fine (usually).  And the other religions sit back and enjoy the show.

10/01/2017 3:32 pm  #3

Given Xathoqqua's Chaotic nature I would say orthodoxy would be determined geographically based on local leadership as well as adjustments due to racial customs and previous religious apologetics. In short its differs a lot by where you hand your hat.  

Xathoqqua is by far the most numerously worshiped deity but finds strong competition in regional gods. In "my" Khromarium I have constant secret internecine skirmishes between the minions of Xathoqqua and Mordezzan.  The struggle for influence has the Oligarchy meting out harsh justice to keep the violence in check.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/01/2017 7:00 pm  #4

mabon5127 wrote:

Given Xathoqqua's Chaotic nature I would say orthodoxy would be determined geographically based on local leadership as well as adjustments due to racial customs and previous religious apologetics. In short its differs a lot by where you hand your hat.  

Xathoqqua is by far the most numerously worshiped deity but finds strong competition in regional gods. In "my" Khromarium I have constant secret internecine skirmishes between the minions of Xathoqqua and Mordezzan.  The struggle for influence has the Oligarchy meting out harsh justice to keep the violence in check.

Nicely done! In my Khromarium, there is a dockside ropewalk, whose basement is the meeting place for a cult of Apollo worshippers, among which include paladins dedicated to Apollo. In a world consumed by chaos, depravity, and lotus chewing, Lawful Good men and women are hard to come by!  

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.