!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2017 12:18 pm  #1

Warlock of the Illusionist bent...

Any thought ever given to that?  I mean we have Ice Lords (2e), Fire Lords, Death Soldiers......why not a Warlock who practices Illusionist magic.  I'm thinking that variant might be called a Shadow Lord, or perhaps Lord of Deception.

9/21/2017 3:12 pm  #2

Re: Warlock of the Illusionist bent...

Phantom Lord

Phantasm Soldier

What? Me worry?

9/21/2017 3:14 pm  #3

Shadow Lord does seem best.

Not that I've stopped thinking

What? Me worry?

9/21/2017 4:55 pm  #4

gizmomathboy wrote:

Phantom Lord

"Phantom Lord"

Sound is ripping through your ears
The deafening sound of metal nears
Your body's waiting for his whips
The taste of leather on your lips

Hear the cry of war
Louder than before
With his sword in hand
To control the land
Crushing metal strikes
On this frightening night
Fall onto your knees
For the Phantom Lord

Victims falling under chains
You hear them crying dying pains
The fist of terror's breaking through
Now there's nothing you can do

Hear the cry of war
Louder than before
With his sword in hand
To control the land
Crushing metal strikes
Fall onto your knees
For the Phantom Lord

The leather armies have prevailed
The Phantom Lord has never failed
Smoke is lifting from the ground
The rising volume metal sound

Hear the cry of war
Louder than before
With his sword in hand
To control the land
Crushing metal strikes
Fall onto your knees
For the Phantom Lord

Fall to your knees
And bow to the Phantom Lord

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/21/2017 5:49 pm  #5

I knew I could count on Chainsaw not to miss that opportunity.

9/21/2017 6:13 pm  #6

DMPrata wrote:

I knew I could count on Chainsaw not to miss that opportunity.

\m/ >_< \m/

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/21/2017 8:20 pm  #7

It's easy enough to house rule in. Warlock that does illusion magic. Done.

Theurgist?
Spellbinder?

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

9/21/2017 8:41 pm  #8

foxroe wrote:

Theurgist?
Spellbinder?

well yeah, a kickass name is the hard part!

9/21/2017 10:21 pm  #9

francisca wrote:

foxroe wrote:

Theurgist?
Spellbinder?

Well I like Spellbinder, but it doesn't quite evoke the warrior aspect of the proposed class. Phantom/Shadow Lord fit well, but I don't feel that they evoke the setting as much. It also depends on the intended flavor of the class. Will it be a nefarious and deceptive fighter? Will it be more Bard-like (a warrior-poet)? Will it be a battlefield commander, influencing minds and melees, etc? Does any of that make sense?

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

9/21/2017 10:30 pm  #10

Wait! I got it!

HYPNO-HACKER!

It's most epic.

9/22/2017 7:34 pm  #11

Tweak the game to taste, of course, but I think there's a good reason the warlock doesn't have an illusionist option and the legerdemainist doesn't have a necromancer option.

9/22/2017 7:57 pm  #12

DMPrata wrote:

Tweak the game to taste, of course, but I think there's a good reason the warlock doesn't have an illusionist option and the legerdemainist doesn't have a necromancer option.

And what reason is that? Not trying to be snarky/combative/whatever; I'm assuming that you know something we don't 

9/22/2017 8:03 pm  #13

Here's a random thought... make the illusion spell casting ability innate, restrict the class to light armor (or no armor other than shields), and call it a Psionicist. Might need to add some flavor spells though...

9/23/2017 8:56 am  #14

foxroe wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

And what reason is that? Not trying to be snarky/combative/whatever; I'm assuming that you know something we don't 

Sorry, I should have elaborated. I think the illusionist option fits the legerdemainist better, as a sneaky and deceptive character archetype. In the same vein, animating a small army of skeletons and zombies to do one's bidding seems more fighter-like than thief-like; thus the necromancer option for warlocks, but not for legerdemainists. Again, individual referees should feel free to make different design decisions for their own campaigns. I'm just expounding on what I presume to be Jeff's reasoning. Jeff and I long have operated by Crowley's maxim, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law".

9/23/2017 1:10 pm  #15

I agree with Dave's specific reasoning in this case. Also, more generally, I personally like to maintain distinctions between the various classes, for flavor if nothing else. I really don't even care that much about the in-universe justification. If legerdemainists and warlocks each have a school of magic that the other can't use, and if they both share schools of magic that shamans can't use, it forces players to make choices, and choices (IMO) are good. If a player questioned it, I would just say something along the lines of "Xathoqqua moves in mysterious ways".
On the other hand, if a referee wants to allow it, I say go for it.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/23/2017 8:35 pm  #16

DMPrata wrote:

Sorry, I should have elaborated. I think the illusionist option fits the legerdemainist better, as a sneaky and deceptive character archetype. In the same vein, animating a small army of skeletons and zombies to do one's bidding seems more fighter-like than thief-like; thus the necromancer option for warlocks, but not for legerdemainists. Again, individual referees should feel free to make different design decisions for their own campaigns. I'm just expounding on what I presume to be Jeff's reasoning. Jeff and I long have operated by Crowley's maxim, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law".

Ahhh, got it. I was hoping for some really cool Hyperborean lore tid-bit, but I like your reasoning. At the very least it makes sense aesthetically.

9/23/2017 10:02 pm  #17

francisca wrote:

foxroe wrote:

Theurgist?
Spellbinder?

I've used Phantasmyr for my more-real-than illusions class of illusionists.  It's a good name but I'm not sure it evokes much warrior-ocity either....

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.