!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2016 6:31 pm  #1

Non AS&SH Adventures and Monster Swap

What are your go to monster swaps for monsters that don't exist in AS&SH.

Ex:
Goblin to What?
Hobgoblin to What?
Kobold to What?
Etc...

The classic monsters you will find in most old school D&D games.

Thanks!

9/01/2016 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Non AS&SH Adventures and Monster Swap

You could just use orcs.
If not, I would suggest ape-men, lizard-men, snake-men, vhuurmis, or bandits.  You can't go wrong with bandits.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/02/2016 4:45 am  #3

True that on bandits!  Thanks!

9/02/2016 8:07 am  #4

Yeah lots of stuff gets shoved into orcs.

I've been contemplating stat-ing up kobolds, but more in the classic Scandinavian way I think. More like earth sprites and stuff. Still weak, devious little buggers.

Nothing is keeping your from using hobgoblins and such. If you want to maintain the Hyperborean feel it might take a bit, however it's Hyperborea and I treat it as a temporal and planar nexus.

I didn't feel bad about dropping in a lost ranger patrol as an encounter. Mind you, the Lug Wasteland isn't awash with WW2 era troops. You can have a smattering of monsters from wherever.

Remember Rule 0, Have Fun.

What? Me worry?

9/02/2016 8:23 am  #5

nethru wrote:

Ex:
Goblin to What?
Hobgoblin to What?
Kobold to What?
Etc...

Hmmm... If you want to keep a more by-the-book Hyperborean feel, you could choose from the list below according to your HD needs, situation and locals (I do not think anything was intended to match up perfectly). In my games, I view Hyperborea as a pocket dimension, where elements from any realm, historical or fantastic, can make an appearance. The Bermuda Triangle could teleport a Nazi U-boat into Khromarium's harbor, a magical mountain blizzard could deliver a group of Samurai from Japan into the Leng Plateau, a great Mediterranean whirlpool could bring Roman sailor to the Crab Archipelago, a space-time warp could pluck the Millenium Falcon out of hyperspace to crash land in the mountains of Mt. V and so on. So, if I wanted kobolds, goblins and hobgoblins, I would import a group of them as is, perhaps banished by a powerful sorcerer's spell  - it won't break anything. Anyway, there's also the list below. 

Man, Bandit - HD 1 (lt 3, captain 5)
Cave-man - HD 1+1 (sub-chief 3+3, chief 5+5)
Ape-man - HD 1+2 (alpha 3+4)
Man, Wild Berserker - HD 1+4 (sub chief 3+6, chief 5+8)
Lizard-man - HD 2+1 (sub-chief 4+2, chief 6+2)
Fish-man - HD 2+2 (sub-chief 4+4, chief 7+7)
Snake-man - HD 2+2 (+one HD per class level up to 11th)
Vhuurmis (Beast-man) - HD 3+2
Crab-man - HD 3+3
Ape, Carnivorous - HD 5

As you know, the Bestiary includes Giants (Hill Giant listed as Fomorian), Gnolls (as Hyaena-men), Ogres (as Ape, Mountain), Orcs, Troglodytes and Trolls

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/02/2016 10:58 am  #6

The Oon could also be an option especially in a deep subterranean sort of adventure setting.

9/02/2016 2:34 pm  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

nethru wrote:

Ex:
Goblin to What?
Hobgoblin to What?
Kobold to What?
Etc...

Hmmm... If you want to keep a more by-the-book Hyperborean feel, you could choose from the list below according to your HD needs, situation and locals (I do not think anything was intended to match up perfectly). In my games, I view Hyperborea as a pocket dimension, where elements from any realm, historical or fantastic, can make an appearance. The Bermuda Triangle could teleport a Nazi U-boat into Khromarium's harbor, a magical mountain blizzard could deliver a group of Samurai from Japan into the Leng Plateau, a great Mediterranean whirlpool could bring Roman sailor to the Crab Archipelago, a space-time warp could pluck the Millenium Falcon out of hyperspace to crash land in the mountains of Mt. V and so on. So, if I wanted kobolds, goblins and hobgoblins, I would import a group of them as is, perhaps banished by a powerful sorcerer's spell - it won't break anything. Anyway, there's also the list below.

Man, Bandit - HD 1 (lt 3, captain 5)
Cave-man - HD 1+1 (sub-chief 3+3, chief 5+5)
Ape-man - HD 1+2 (alpha 3+4)
Man, Wild Berserker - HD 1+4 (sub chief 3+6, chief 5+8)
Lizard-man - HD 2+1 (sub-chief 4+2, chief 6+2)
Fish-man - HD 2+2 (sub-chief 4+4, chief 7+7)
Snake-man - HD 2+2 (+one HD per class level up to 11th)
Vhuurmis (Beast-man) - HD 3+2
Crab-man - HD 3+3
Ape, Carnivorous - HD 5

As you know, the Bestiary includes Giants (Hill Giant listed as Fomorian), Gnolls (as Hyaena-men), Ogres (as Ape, Mountain), Orcs, Troglodytes and Trolls

All good choices!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/02/2016 2:35 pm  #8

lige wrote:

The Oon could also be an option especially in a deep subterranean sort of adventure setting.

They tend to be fragile until you give them some tech from Yuggoth that only works with their strange physiology.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/30/2017 5:55 am  #9

Hi OP. Chainsaw wrote up a pretty comprehensive list but I'd like to suggest one more monster swap that's technically not in the AS&SH bestiary but thematically appropriate- mutants. The oon are a good example of the possibilities for mutants in Hyperborea but you can make the concept your own even if it's just a reskin of goblins or whatever. 

7/30/2017 6:14 am  #10

Brock Savage wrote:

Hi OP. Chainsaw wrote up a pretty comprehensive list but I'd like to suggest one more monster swap that's technically not in the AS&SH bestiary but thematically appropriate- mutants. The oon are a good example of the possibilities for mutants in Hyperborea but you can make the concept your own even if it's just a reskin of goblins or whatever. 

Great idea! Mutated by dark sorcery, soured alchemical mixtures, broken ancient atlantean technology, a cursed artificact, forbidden food - the list writes itself. 

7/30/2017 6:54 pm  #11

chainsaw wrote:

The Bermuda Triangle could teleport a Nazi U-boat into Khromarium's harbor

OMFG, this is BRILLIANT! I literally want to spend the entire night creating a con adventure about this. 

chainsaw wrote:

a great Mediterranean whirlpool could bring Roman sailor to the Crab Archipelago

There was a couple of books about this concept written in the 80's. The names escape me, but it was about an entire Roman legion that was fighting Gauls and happened to be timewarped into a different planet, essentially a low/medium magic D&D, desert themed fantasy world. 

7/30/2017 6:59 pm  #12

nethru wrote:

Ex:
Goblin to What?
Hobgoblin to What?
Kobold to What?
Etc...

The classic monsters you will find in most old school D&D games.

Thanks!

For me personally, Hyperborea isn't high fantasy, it's weird fantasy. Having said that, consider using Kobolds or Goblins, but with your own spin on them: Kobolds with cybernetic arms. Nazi like goblins with uniforms and BB guns, Hobgoblins with metal crab machines they ride around in. My point being, if you decide to incorporate classic D&D monsters, change them up a bit since it's a different game and your players won't know what to expect from them. 

7/30/2017 7:01 pm  #13

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

chainsaw wrote:

OMFG, this is BRILLIANT! I literally want to spend the entire night creating a con adventure about this.

Ha! Do it, Michael!

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

chainsaw wrote:

a great Mediterranean whirlpool could bring Roman sailor to the Crab Archipelago

There was a couple of books about this concept written in the 80's. The names escape me, but it was about an entire Roman legion that was fighting Gauls and happened to be timewarped into a different planet, essentially a low/medium magic D&D, desert themed fantasy world. 

Cool! I will keep an eye out for it.

7/31/2017 3:18 am  #14

Probably the Videssos Cycle, by Harry Turtledove: read them way back, enjoyed the first couple, but haven't kept up.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

7/31/2017 9:27 am  #15

rhialto wrote:

Probably the Videssos Cycle, by Harry Turtledove: read them way back, enjoyed the first couple, but haven't kept up.

Boom. That's the one! Good books actually. Makes me think of a concept for my upcoming campaign..

7/31/2017 9:29 am  #16

chainsaw wrote:

Ar'Pharazon wrote:

chainsaw wrote:

Ha! Do it, Michael!

If I can get my development schedule from stagnate to back on track, I could potentially get this going in time for Gary Con X..
Hmm.. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.