!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2017 7:48 pm  #341

Re: Introduction Thread

Thanks, fellas! Do I get my own padded cell?

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

5/17/2017 9:38 pm  #342

foxroe wrote:

Thanks, fellas! Do I get my own padded cell?

Nah, you gotta make that yourself. ;-)

What? Me worry?

6/07/2017 9:57 pm  #343

Hello everyone!! Pretty new to the hobby!! Just started about a year ago.

6/08/2017 5:09 am  #344

Stilts wrote:

Welcome aboard, Stilts! You'll find this to be a great community to exchange ideas with. Cheers!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/08/2017 5:44 am  #345

Stilts wrote:

Welcome, Patrick! Very nice meeting you and Victoria at the convention a few days ago. I hope you two had a good time - despite Foolsgrave killing you each twice! LoL! Anyway, with Jeff's hardback second edition of AS&SH only a few months away, you have joined at an exciting time. Plus, we have a pretty good group here, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/08/2017 10:29 pm  #346

Hi all. My name is Hoyt. I've already posted a few samples in the Music appreciation threads. But I figured it was high time I introduced myself. 

I got started with the Mentzer red box January of 1983 after a school mate received it for Christmas. By that summer we had moved over to AD&D when I received the hardbound books from a cousin who'd grown bored with the game. I gamed fairly regularly with different groups after high school and into my USAF years - including the enigmatic Temple of Elemental Evil. But the most fun I had was after I discovered the grey box Forgotten Realms campaign setting, followed shortly by AD&D 2nd Edition. For the next 12 years I played and (mostly) ran the greatest games I've experienced to date.  

The following 12 years however were dark and sporadic where it came to tabletop gaming. I spent several of those years at the computer with Neverwinter Nights when I couldn't find a decent group with which to play 3.X edition D&D at the table. I found a few 2nd edition groups through Meetup around 2008. But even those were short lived due to conflicting schedules ...and conflicting personalities. :/   

In 2012 I discovered and invested in the Castles & Crusades game system while attending my one and only GaryCon (so far). There I also briefly met one Jeff Talanian who was introducing his new game system, AS&SH. Admittedly now I wish I'd have paid more attention to his wares. :/ 

Over the past 5 years I've hosted various incarnations and different groups of AD&D2E, Castles & Crusades, and D&D5E. I've also played some Pathfinder and D&D5E. At a year and a half strong the Castles & Crusades campaign has been the longest lived. Though we only gather once about every 3-5 weeks on average (adulting sucks), this group of roleplaying explorers has accomplished a couple of pretty cool story arcs. These stories have included a darker, weird fantasy version of the classic D&D module 'Against the Cult of the Reptile God' and a Celtic inspired Dungeon magazine adventure that turned into a horror story near the end.  

That being said, I'm looking very forward to the release of AS&SH Second Edition, which I was able to get in on the kickstarter for. And I thoroughly enjoyed the THREE Hyperborean sessions I was lucky enough to play in over the weekend while attending the North Texas RPG Con. Thanks to Ghul and Chainsaw for the great sessions - yes, even the TPK. 

"We're always creating rules in the tacit pursuit of verisimilitude. This is a valid and noble pursuit.
But for some of us, that's a false idol. We harken to a different song." - Frank Mentzer, 2017

6/09/2017 6:25 am  #347

Glad to have you, Hoyt! Again, welcome. Looking forward to your posts and to gaming at the conventions in the future.

6/20/2017 10:36 am  #348

Hey folks!  New to the forum and I just wanted to say "Hi!"  I was recently introduced to Hyperborea by Chainsaw at NTRPG Con.  Had a great time!  I'm currently running an AD&D1e campaign and playing AS&SH was seamless.  The next fantasy campaign I run will switch over, but I don't want to do that to the players in mid-stream.   Anyway, I plan to talk about this a bit on my next YouTube show.  I need to get that done soon, before the afterglow of NTRPG Con fades!

6/20/2017 10:45 am  #349

Gamescape wrote:

Hey folks!  New to the forum and I just wanted to say "Hi!"  I was recently introduced to Hyperborea by Chainsaw at NTRPG Con.  Had a great time!  I'm currently running an AD&D1e campaign and playing AS&SH was seamless.  The next fantasy campaign I run will switch over, but I don't want to do that to the players in mid-stream.   Anyway, I plan to talk about this a bit on my next YouTube show.  I need to get that done soon, before the afterglow of NTRPG Con fades!

Welcome to the forum, Gary! We have a good group of folks here, so if you have any questions as you ramp up, please reach out. Also, glad you had fun at NTRPG Con and hope to see you there again next year (details here).

6/20/2017 12:58 pm  #350

Welcome Gary, Hoyt, Stilts and Foxroe! I look forward to your contributions on the forums!

6/21/2017 11:53 am  #351

Thanks, A'P!
And welcome to Stilts, blackmote, and Gamescape!

"I, Satampra Zeiros of Uzuldaroum, shall write with my left hand, since I have no longer any other, the tale of everything that befell Tirouv Ompallios and myself in the shrine of the god Tsathoggua..."

6/27/2017 8:42 pm  #352

Hey there. I'm Dan Stack, I've been gaming since the early 1980s, beginning with the magenta D&D set. I'm pretty varied in my gaming tastes, having recently GM-ed campaigns ranging from a Fate version of Star Wars to Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu.

I've an online gaming group and we're currently considering an old-school style game to play. Given our love of Cthulhu, AS&SH is getting some consideration - especially since one of my players recently got to play it at NTRPG Con and I'm a big Clark Ashton Smith fan. I'll probably be posting about the game here, as we could use 1-2 more players in the group.

I've a blog, 19th Level, that I can't yet link to until I've a few posts under my belt. :-) One of my top posts was a review of AS&SH as it turns out... I write about RPGs, fiction, comics, etc. - a variety of geeky topics. 

Outside of RPGs, I'm a software engineer turned data scientist. I'm currently pursuing an MS in Strategic Analytics part time at Brandeis University - which makes low-prep RPGs quite valuable to me. My younger daughter, age 12, shows all the signs of emerging geekdom, being into comics, beginning to read some Jack Williamson, etc. I'm quite proud.

My blog: 19th Level

6/28/2017 5:02 am  #353

Welcome, Breschau! I think you'll enjoy it around here. They're a good lot, these AS&SH'ers, they are.

6/28/2017 7:28 am  #354

Breschau of Livonia wrote:

Hey there. I'm Dan Stack...

Welcome to the Hyperborea forum, Dan. We have a good group here, so feel free to post away as your game develops. Plus, with the second edition's release only a few months away, you have joined at an exciting time. Very cool that your daughter may enjoy the hobby too! 

6/28/2017 10:13 am  #355

Thanks for the welcome. I'm greatly looking forward to the second edition - and backed the Kickstarter for it.

Funny thing... One of the things that really got my attention when I bought the first boxed set was the small handwritten thank you note included with it.

My blog: 19th Level

6/28/2017 12:06 pm  #356

Breschau of Livonia wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. I'm greatly looking forward to the second edition - and backed the Kickstarter for it.

Funny thing... One of the things that really got my attention when I bought the first boxed set was the small handwritten thank you note included with it.

I think you mean, Jeff (Ghul online), but I agree 100%. Those personal touches are awesome and why I love supporting his game. 

10/08/2017 10:53 pm  #357

Hello,

I’m Doug and I’ve been playing RPGs since 81. I play a little bit of everything: including Basic D&D, 5e, DCC, FATE, Conan 2d20, and Warhammer.

I just preordered the HC of AS&SH and bought the pdf. Look forward to being here!

10/09/2017 4:13 am  #358

Welcome Doug!
—Ron—

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

10/09/2017 6:42 am  #359

Tush Hog wrote:

I just preordered the HC of AS&SH and bought the pdf. Look forward to being here!

Welcome! 

10/09/2017 7:11 am  #360

Chainsaw wrote:

Tush Hog wrote:

Welcome!

I second that welcome!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.