!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2017 4:54 pm  #1

AS&SH/D&D (B/X/BECMI)/AD&D Class Level Equivalency's

(First off, I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so if Jeff or any other Admin feels this belongs in another thread, please feel free to move it) ... Basically. I was wondering what anyone here uses as an approximation for Class Level Equivalency's across AS&SH/D&D/AD&D? Specifically, say someone wanted to use an existing AD&D or D&D module within the AS&SH rule set, and as all AD&D/D&D modules were given a recommended Class Level requirement, how would that listed Class Level requirement of the module align with AS&SH's class levels? Are they roughly equal (Though AS&SH is nominally capped at 12th level and AD&D/D&D go much higher)? Slightly skewed?  Just looking to hear if anyone else has pondered this and/or what your thoughts on this may be. Thanks gang!

6/07/2017 5:02 pm  #2

Re: AS&SH/D&D (B/X/BECMI)/AD&D Class Level Equivalency's

It's about the same IMO.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/07/2017 6:22 pm  #3

measuredrums wrote:

Specifically, say someone wanted to use an existing AD&D or D&D module within the AS&SH rule set, and as all AD&D/D&D modules were given a recommended Class Level requirement, how would that listed Class Level requirement of the module align with AS&SH's class levels? Are they roughly equal?

Hey man. So, back in 2012 during my last AD&D campaign, I incorporated TAKEN from Dunwich. This AS&SH module says its for 4-6 characters of 4-7th level. Our group had five level 4-5 PCs. I converted on the fly with no issues. The party did fine, but ended up fleeing about half-way through, as was their modus operandi at the time. Wasn't a compatibility issue at all. They just wimped out!

CORRECTION! Upon closer examination, which really means capitalbill called me out for misremembering, they did indeed successfully finish this adventure. My bad, capitalbill! I stand corrected and offer my humblest apologies to the group. You guys kicked ass and took names!

Anyway, based on that session and my own experience running both systems, I'd say AD&D and AS&SH levels should be fairly comparable. I wouldn't hesitate to use one's modules for the other. If they're technically off by one level one way or another, it's still well within the acceptable range of challenge variance for an adventure, I think. You know, sometimes things are a little easier and sometimes a little harder. Them's the breaks. As you say, since AS&SH levels end at 12, AD&D characters beyond that will likely be proportionately stronger.

I can't really speak for B/X or BECMI, but would guess the difference is comparable to the difference betweem AD&D and B/X/BECMI.

Just my two cents, so take it for what it's worth, but hope that helps!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/08/2017 9:24 am  #4

The major differences between AS&SH and B/X in terms of power are as follows:
* Fighter-types and Cleric-types have a larger HD
* attribute bonuses are a bit lower (but compensated for by the common 4d6-drop-lowest generation method)
* saving throw improvement is slower

Otherwise, I wouldn't fret much about it.

6/10/2017 12:39 pm  #5

I can speak to comparisons betwixt AD&D and BECMI; I'll leave it to our esteemed members to draw comparisons to AS&SH. AD&D and BECMI adventures are fairly equivalent at low levels. I've never had a problem running a level 1–3 Basic adventure with AD&D rules. At higher levels they diverge a bit more. An old DRAGON had a good comparison chart. Basically, levels 1–8 were more or less equivalent in both games, but levels 9–12 in AD&D ("name level") are more like levels 10–19 in BECMI.

6/12/2017 10:10 am  #6

Thanks for the replies Fine Fellows! I was thinking essentially what you guys have said, but I wanted to hear what the Intelligentsia of the AS&SH world had to say about it. Many thanks!

6/13/2017 7:16 am  #7

Ynas Midgard wrote:

* attribute bonuses are a bit lower (but compensated for by the common 4d6-drop-lowest generation method)

To which do the mentioned differences apply? For example, does AS&SH have the  larger HD or B/X?  I have not studied either closely.  So, I don't understand your comment.

6/13/2017 7:50 am  #8

ThornPlutonius wrote:

Ynas Midgard wrote:

To which do the mentioned differences apply? For example, does AS&SH have the  larger HD or B/X?  I have not studied either closely.  So, I don't understand your comment.

B/X has d6 for clerics and d8 for fighters.

AS&SH uses d8 for clerics and d10 for fighters (and even d12 for barbarians and berserkers).

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.