!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2016 6:00 pm  #21

Re: What board games are you playing?

I like Bang! for (root)beer & pretzels card games. It does have a slight flaw in that you can die before you get to go. This doesn't happen too often though.

I did get to play Aliens last night! The chaps seemed to enjoy it despite one of them having traumatic memories of RNGesus molestation in highschool about two decades ago.

Show me on the doll where the Alien grabbed you, James.

Last edited by Josh (6/27/2016 3:28 pm)

7/02/2016 1:04 pm  #22

Soon to be playing my copy of EON's Borderlands, complete with both expansion I snagged on ebay for $8+$8 shipping.

7/02/2016 2:22 pm  #23

grodog wrote:

Josh wrote:

I thought A Study in Emerald first edition (based on the story of the same name by Neil Gaiman) was absolutely fantastic. I'm interested in trying the second edition out now. I have come to loathe deckbuilders, but this feature excellently supplements players' maneuvers across the board.

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on the two versions, Josh:  I've been chasing a copy of the KS for a few years now, but haven't been willing to pull the plug on buying it yet.  If you think the 2nd edition is as good as the 1st, then I'll check it out too.

Still interested in your thoughts on this, Josh! :D

7/02/2016 5:41 pm  #24

Having a fantastic time playing Zombicide Black Plague with my kids. Really captures the feel of trying to survive a zombie hoard over running a medieval town. Comes with a bunch of different scenarios. So far we have run the introduction scenario 4 times. We won twice and lost twice.

For Father's day my wife backed the Massive Darkness Kickstarter, from the same company. Really looking forward to this one. Here's the link.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/massive-darkness

7/04/2016 10:39 am  #25

BigPerm wrote:

Having a fantastic time playing Zombicide Black Plague with my kids. Really captures the feel of trying to survive a zombie hoard over running a medieval town. Comes with a bunch of different scenarios. So far we have run the introduction scenario 4 times. We won twice and lost twice.

For Father's day my wife backed the Massive Darkness Kickstarter, from the same company. Really looking forward to this one. Here's the link.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/massive-darkness

Great game!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/17/2016 5:08 pm  #26

Most recent was Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the HIll.  We recently picked up Eldritch Horror, but haven't tried it, yet.

My eldest son has been monopolizing the table on the weekends, lately, playing WH40K with his cousin.

8/14/2016 10:34 pm  #27

I picked up A Study in Emerald (found a KS first edition relatively cheaply), and started reading up on the rules this evening.  From reading the rules, it seems like a cross between Pandemic/Arkham Horror meets Dominion, with some secret identify/double agent twists. 

Allan.

9/13/2016 4:40 pm  #28

Nice! Yeah, still have yet to try 2nd ed.

GW and Fantasy Flight just had a falling out. If you can find Chaos in the Old World, I recommend picking it up with its single expansion. Might even make for a sound monetary investment. :-)

That said, I played Siege of the Citadel a bunch in high school (about as much as Aliens). If you don't want to pay secondary market prices, there's a current KS for a new edition. 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274643038/siege-of-the-citadel-2nd-edition-techno-fantasy-bo/description

Last edited by Josh (9/13/2016 4:42 pm)

9/13/2016 11:46 pm  #29

I've played a few games of Chaos in the Old World. It's a fun game.

10/16/2016 5:48 pm  #30

If you are a fan of Lovecraft, I strongly recommend Fantasy Flight's Eldritch Horror. It will be familiar to people who have played Arkham Horror but in my option Eldritch Horror is clearly superior. Players take the role of globetrotting investigators working together to prevent the end of the world. There's a lot of tension and excitement- oftentimes the entire table will watch the outcome of a single die roll with anticipation, cheering or groaning at the result. The rules are surprisingly clear and succinct for a game with so many moving parts. With a veteran to guide them along, a Newcomers can pick it up in a few minutes but it offers plenty of challenge and depth for experienced players. The expansions add excellent replay value and thankfully do not incur rules bloat. 

10/25/2016 12:18 am  #31

I've enjoyed AH (Chaosium as well as FFG) and Eldritch Horror too, although I haven't played that much lately (I play that with friends in CA when I'm out there working, on my alt gaming night from AD&D).  The boys enjoyed Betrayal at House on the Hill (2nd ed from AH/WotC) and Aliens (as always) recently, and I picked up Fire & Axe based on francisca's recommendation (haven't played that yet). 

While in CA last week, I played Ra again (and still suck at it ;) ), and taught the gang there Sushi Go.  Fun fun! :D

10/25/2016 12:41 pm  #32

Played Small World last week and I still enjoy it. That was about the 4th time I've played it.

Before that I think we played Carcasonne and Pandemic.

What? Me worry?

10/25/2016 1:06 pm  #33

Love Pandemic.  Though after playing Cthulhu Pandemic its now my favorite.

While in my soul forever

10/25/2016 5:51 pm  #34

Long weekend coming.  In addition to some AS&SH, I'm going to play Talisman and Borderlands with the kids.

5/04/2017 6:38 am  #35

New board game of The Thing arriving this fall. I really want this to be good!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/04/2017 6:41 am  #36

This does look intetesting.

While in my soul forever

5/04/2017 7:22 am  #37

Indeed it does! I just watched the movie for the first time the other day, don't know how I missed it in 1982...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/04/2017 7:26 am  #38

Played Roborally with the family the other night. I got beat up rather badly. I think I had to power down twice in less than an hour.

What? Me worry?

5/04/2017 8:18 am  #39

Chainsaw wrote:

New board game of The Thing arriving this fall. I really want this to be good!

Looks interesting, although I don't know anything about other games out of the USAopoloy company beyond Monopoly clones. 

*looks at website*

Apparently I do:  we've played and liked Telestrations, at least (in the 12-pack edition for our larger family gatherings).  The rest look like licensed classic games, for the most part.

Allan.

Allan.

5/04/2017 8:35 am  #40

francisca wrote:

Long weekend coming.  In addition to some AS&SH, I'm going to play Talisman and Borderlands with the kids.

We played Talisman as a family a lot when the kids were younger.  My wife loved getting to the center first and yelling "ADMIT DEFEAT!" every round.

While in my soul forever

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.