!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2017 2:20 pm  #1

What are you reading?

Vance's The Eyes of the Overworld. I never tire of Cugel's foolishness - more than any other fictional character, he reminds me of most PCs.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/26/2017 3:07 pm  #2

Re: What are you reading?

C. J. Cherryh, Hunter of Worlds. Cherryh's one of my favorite SF authors, and I picked this up in DAW at the Milwaukee airport after GaryCon.

4/26/2017 3:47 pm  #3

I am currently working my way through the Fafrd and Grey Mouser books...again, currently in Swords Against Wizardry.  Leiber's works are gold.

4/26/2017 3:58 pm  #4

I'm currently reading The Last Hieroglyph Volume 5 of The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith. Next will be The Miscellaneous Writtings of Clark Ashton Smith.

4/26/2017 6:57 pm  #5

Chainsaw wrote:

Vance's The Eyes of the Overworld. I never tire of Cugel's foolishness - more than any other fictional character, he reminds me of most PCs.

Too true, too true...
"Fianosther held wide his hands. 'Why not? Who would dare steal from Iucounu the Laughing Magician?'
'Precisely this thought deters me,' Cugel replied. 'I am a man of resource, but not insensate recklessness.'"
Jack Vance, The Eyes of the Overworld

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/26/2017 7:00 pm  #6

I'm always reading multiple books at a time...
Karl Edward Wagner's Midnight Sun
Herbert's Children of Dune

I alternate, depending on whether I'm in an AS&SH or Classic Traveller inspiration mood.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

4/26/2017 7:12 pm  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

Haha! I was recently re-reading that one myself. Cugel is a classic. He has no redeeming qualities, yet he's wonderful. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/26/2017 7:12 pm  #8

ThornPlutonius wrote:

I am currently working my way through the Fafrd and Grey Mouser books...again, currently in Swords Against Wizardry.  Leiber's works are gold.

Absolutely. 

4/26/2017 7:16 pm  #9

rhialto wrote:

I alternate, depending on whether I'm in an AS&SH or Classic Traveller inspiration mood.

You are a man of discerning tastes. As chance has it, I just finished re-reading Herbert's God Emperor of Dune, and right now I'm reading Wagner's Bran Mak Morn pastiche, Legion From the Shadows.

4/27/2017 6:12 am  #10

I'm working my way through Howard's complete weird stories.  I'm on volume 7 (of 10) at this point.  When that's done, I may shift over to Donald Wandrei, before going back and rereading my complete Clark Ashton Smith series.  (Unrelated, on the side, I always have a World War One book going as part of the 100th anniversary - currently one on Lawrence of Arabia).

4/27/2017 3:51 pm  #11

Ghul wrote:

rhialto wrote:

You are a man of discerning tastes. As chance has it, I just finished re-reading Herbert's God Emperor of Dune, and right now I'm reading Wagner's Bran Mak Morn pastiche, Legion From the Shadows.

That calls for a sig update, then......in mutual acknowledgment...

How is Legion from the Shadows? I don't know if I have that...

9/12/2017 12:39 pm  #12

I just started reading The End of the Story: The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 1 by Night Shade books.

I just finished "The Abominations of Yondo" last night. I now have an appreciation for the idea behind Sharath now. :-)

What? Me worry?

9/17/2017 1:40 pm  #13

Recently finished the 12th book, Changes, in the Dresden Files series. Just started The Alehouse Murders, the first book in the Templar Knight Mysteries series by Maureen Ash.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.